Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very good post.   A very simplistic view is that IU had the chance to hire Pitino in 2001, Calipari in 2006 and 2008, Beilein in 2006, or Matta in 2006 and 2008.  They opted not to.  They stuck with Davis too long and he openly admits the job was too big for him.  I mean he just says that so it’s not controversial.  Glass is not a basketball guy at all, and be extended Crean too quickly etc.  

Sampson was a disaster but at the same time, the way the university laid down and sacrificed essentially four years was fairly ridiculous.  They had overly aggressive compliance nerds trying to catch them in every minutiae instead of finding loopholes and ways to get ahead legally.  Nobody anywhere outside of a few Church ladies give a crap if IU stays in the rules but takes advantage of them aggressively by finding ways to maneuver.  That’s called good business and the real world.  Yet we had a mentality of being hyper clean.  This has all been documented by Rabjohns, Snow, and others.  

Dakich was in a meeting so he has a first hand knowledge, that the administration openly said that they were de-emphasizing basketball.  So we know that’s not an urban legend.   

These are all self-inflicted moves.  Hopefully it’s all over now with Woody.  

Don't say nobody cares about IU breaking the rules

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Very good post.   A very simplistic view is that IU had the chance to hire Pitino in 2001, Calipari in 2006 and 2008, Beilein in 2006, or Matta in 2006 and 2008.  They opted not to.  They stuck with Davis too long and he openly admits the job was too big for him.  I mean he just says that so it’s not controversial.  Glass is not a basketball guy at all, and he extended Crean too quickly etc.  He also didn’t know the right questions to ask Archie in making that decision.  

Sampson was a disaster but at the same time, the way the university laid down and sacrificed essentially four years was fairly ridiculous.  Beyond that, they had overly aggressive compliance nerds trying to catch the staff in every minutiae instead of finding loopholes and ways to get ahead legally.  Nobody anywhere outside of a few Church ladies give a crap if IU stays in the rules but takes advantage of them aggressively by finding ways to maneuver.  That’s called good business and the real world.  Yet we had a mentality of being hyper clean.  This has all been documented by Rabjohns, Snow, and others.  Of course you’re going to get steamrolled when this is how you think.  It’s academic, ivory tower stuff totally divorced from how the world works in any walk of life, whether it’s business, military might, or anything.   

Dakich was in a meeting so he has first hand knowledge, that the administration openly said that they were de-emphasizing basketball.  So we know that’s not an urban legend.   

These are all self-inflicted moves.  Hopefully it’s all over now with Woody.  Fingers crossed.  

Hard to think Dolson would have taken this job believing the mindset of de-emphasizing basketball was still the mantra. He sure acts like it's a major priority.  So agreed...🤞

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I doubt the majority of the base wants, or would accept, blatant cheating. Or even feels comfortable with "lesser" cheating.

However, trying new angles and approaches to get a leg up on the competition is welcomed (see: Matta in his new role for example).

I think the previous administration's goody-two-shoes, brown-nosing to the NCAA compliance people was a complete over-reaction that really hurt us.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I didn’t say that if you read the fine print.  I said work aggressively within the rules.  

EDIT.  I re-read it.  You’re right, Scott.  I could have said it more artfully.  What I was trying to say was we should stay within the rules but push to the edge of the rules,  find loopholes, etc.  

The sport as a whole is a cesspool.  Strippers, hookers, money under the table, academic fraud, the FBI.  It’s all offensive.  I don’t want any of that.  But we don’t need to be out of Leave it to Beaver either.   Find gaps in the rules and let’s go.   What happened to us over a four year period was a massive overreaction if you compare us with UNC who got away with it and won titles.  The incongruity there should not be underestimated.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I doubt the majority of the base wants, or would accept, blatant cheating. Or even feels comfortable with "lesser" cheating.

However, trying new angles and approaches to get a leg up on the competition is welcomed (see: Matta in his new role for example).

I think the previous administration's goody-two-shoes, brown-nosing to the NCAA compliance people was a complete over-reaction that really hurt us.

And do we know that those "goody two shoes" folks are no longer part of the whatever department??   😊

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Hard to think Dolson would have taken this job believing the mindset of de-emphasizing basketball was still the mantra. He sure acts like it's a major priority.  So agreed...🤞

I hate to jinx it, but he seems to get it.  He also comes across as very likable.  I thought he wasn’t the best hire based on credentials, but I like him as a person and his attitude so far.  He is the type of guy who feels like you could go to lunch with him and leave as friends.  I also believe he listens (which is a great and underrated skill) and understands the sports. He’s not arrogant or fake at all.  He’s been grinding for decades in the department and is a people person.  This is all based on interviews and how he handles himself but he seems genuine.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I didn’t say that if you read the fine print.  I said work aggressively within the rules.  

EDIT.  I re-read it.  You’re right, Scott.  I could have said it more artfully.  What I was trying to say was we should stay within the rules but push to the edge of the rules,  find loopholes, etc.  

The sport as a whole is a cesspool.  Strippers, hookers, money under the table, academic fraud, the FBI.  It’s all offensive.  I don’t want any of that.  But we don’t need to be out of Leave it to Beaver either.   Find gaps in the rules and let’s go.   What happened to us over a four year period was a massive overreaction if you compare us with UNC who got away with it and won titles.  The incongruity there should not be underestimated.   

Hey.... leave the Beav out of it!

😀

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I recently discovered, steak and shake has great hash browns! 

Oh, and to be compliant....I like Mike Woodson.

I think Dolson done his homework.  I'm feeling pretty good about Woody, and Steak and Shake producing hash browns on the level of Waffle House is music to my ears. 

Honestly anyone can make better hashbrowns than I can in my house because they have an industrial hot top and I dont. 

Also, Coach Woodsen, crush that transfer portal. 

Edited by mrflynn03