Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Realizing that we're all totally biased, and new coaching hires always bring optimism, I have to remind myself that the proof is always in the actual pudding - but this time seems very different.  It's almost like we've been trying to build our house by ourselves for the last couple decades and finally hired a reputable construction crew.

In a sense I'm enjoying the fact that it seems the rest of the B10 and CBB world have already discounted this overhaul of the program.

as the consistently pessimistic guy, i must say - i was not happy about the hire.  i have been very happy with everything since the hiring.  i am optimistic and excited about the momentum we have this offseason.  i am very excited for next year.  all that said, we do still have to win games.  i'm so hoping Woodson is the guy, and i'll definitely support him, but he hasn't won any games just yet.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would agree that kids currently in high school right now are too young to remember Woodson from coaching the Hawks, unless they had some connection to following his teams there. They may even be too young to remember him with the Knicks. 

But it is stunning to me that a 17 year old basketball player would call himself an NBA fan and not know who many of the current head coaches are. How would they not know Brad Stevens, Greg Popovich, Doc Rivers, Steve Kerr, Ty Lue, Nick Nurse, etc., etc. You'd know most of those guys just from watching a few recent playoff series or NBA Finals. 

well, i'm also not saying they don't know those guys, but you named 6 there.  maybe they could name half of the head coaches and what team they coach?

Just now, dgambill said:

Hearing of a name is one thing...but KNOWING the coach (what he is good at/known for/worked with) I think is another. I doubt any of these kids KNEW Mike Woodson. They KNEW what he shared with them...and related with them...and probably mostly what their coaches and close to them in basketball circles knew. That coach knows A LOT of people...has WORKED with a lot of people over the years...INTERACTED with a lot of people in the game. Yeah I've met so an so in Houston and this guy in Atlanta etc etc. They looked at the guys in the NBA that he has developed and worked with and they trust a guy that has been around the game at that high level and worked with people in the KNOW for a long time....so they trust him. If Mike Woodson just showed up on their caller id would they have recognized him....probably not...but once they asked around and the people they trust shared their interactions and views of him.....BINGO...now these kids can say they feel like they KNOW him. To me it is very much that Woody's circle of influence and people he has interacted with in his decades in the NBA and basketball has led him to leave a mark and make enough influence that when he comes calling and these kids start inquiring about him...they get quality feedback that he is a man that knows what he is talking about in regards to basketball and the NBA and should be respected and given the time to listen to. Guess that is my analysis. So going back...no I didn't think he had name recognition. He didn't have the influence, innovation on the game that would attract...but I simply did not know how wide a net Woody's connections in the world of basketball go....and how respected he truely was. I'm happy to see I was wrong. He wasn't a guy that the league has just passed by. Even though it has evolved and owners want young exciting coaches that a NBA lifer like Woody is still very much respected and appreciated in the league and in the game of basketball itself that when these kids look into him...they get the seal of approval from those around him. Very happy I was wrong...and that like you thought..this wasn't a fall back lazy hire...a lot of thought went into it. Because if you just hire Mike Woodson and don't surround him with the talent of coaches and connections we have...it definitely wouldn't have worked AT ALL!

When I say knowing an assistant, I mean just knowing his name and who he is. I don't mean knowing how he coaches, his style or anything like that. 

Maybe that has been the disconnect in the conversation? As an NBA fan I know the names of several assistants and would recognize them when being talked about. I don't know their coaching style as we don't really have access to that. 

• Like 1

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

well, i'm also not saying they don't know those guys, but you named 6 there.  maybe they could name half of the head coaches and what team they coach?

Given how often coaches change, I'd say being able to rattle off half of the coaches in the league is pretty good. That's knowing a good portion of the coaches. I'd say the same thing about the NFL. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Given how often coaches change, I'd say being able to rattle off half of the coaches in the league is pretty good. That's knowing a good portion of the coaches. I'd say the same thing about the NFL. 

definitely agree.  especially what team they currently coach, but if they only know half the head coaches, wouldn't they know even less assistants?

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely agree.  especially what team they currently coach, but if they only know half the head coaches, wouldn't they know even less assistants?

Of course, but we were talking about knowing an assistant from your favorite team when calling yourself a huge fan (at least that's what I thought we were discussing to point :))

Just now, BGleas said:

Of course, but we were talking about knowing an assistant from your favorite team when calling yourself a huge fan (at least that's what I thought we were discussing to point :))

i don't know.  i thought we were talking about how many kids would have known who Mike Woodson was if they were not from an IU family.  oh well.  serious question - i was a die hard Lakers fan in the 80s... of course i was a Pat Riley fan... would i have known any of his assistants?  i very easily could have forgotten.  gonna try to look that up... 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

When I say knowing an assistant, I mean just knowing his name and who he is. I don't mean knowing how he coaches, his style or anything like that. 

Maybe that has been the disconnect in the conversation? As an NBA fan I know the names of several assistants and would recognize them when being talked about. I don't know their coaching style as we don't really have access to that. 

Maybe...in NBA its kind of who did you work under....who are you a disciple of....so we see guys like Kerr who played under Jackson and Pops...or Carlisle or Tibs or Spoelstra etc etc. We see a lot coming from certain coaching trees etc and then they kind of bring that culture and style to the new teams. Name recognition alone it would be hard to say Woody coached at a high profile long enough to garner a ton of attention himself...but mostly what I'm saying is that his recognition in and around the game comes from his deep and long standing ties in the NBA community and among coaches and players and those who work in these camps and programs that his name is connected all over the country because he has either coached or worked with so many people in and around the game at such a high level....although almost entirely behind the scenes to the public avg viewer/fan. So when a kid says hey Indiana's new coach Mike Woodson called me up and he shared with me about all that he has done and who he has worked with and touched on some people I share in common in my basketball circle....it resonates. At least that is how I see it.....or maybe these kids are so hyper NBA focused...they know everything about it.....and that might be too!

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know.  i thought we were talking about how many kids would have known who Mike Woodson was if they were not from an IU family.  oh well.  serious question - i was a die hard Lakers fan in the 80s... of course i was a Pat Riley fan... would i have known any of his assistants?  i very easily could have forgotten.  gonna try to look that up... 

I knew Mike Dunleavy was his assistant. I knew Chris Ford was KC Jones assistant (full disclosure, I grew up a Sixers fan, hated the Celtics until I went to work there so I wasn't a Celtics fan then). 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Could you imagine trying to stay up for Mountain West games?? Oh lord no! lol The next Gonzaga regular season conference game I watch will be the first....God that must be terrible to watch.

Well when you are unemployed you can watch any game at any time.  I remember when I was in college and staying up to watch the Big West games on big Monday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Could you imagine trying to stay up for Mountain West games?? Oh lord no! lol The next Gonzaga regular season conference game I watch will be the first....God that must be terrible to watch.

I've stayed up late to watch teams like UNLV or Fresno State and a host of other teams. Which is kind of funny since I haven't stayed up late to watch a Pacers game in a couple of years and have no plans to. 😀

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I love college basketball.  I would watch Belmont vs Murray St before I watch an NBA game

From someone that lived in Murray and saw several of those games....I would have watched Belmont vs Murray St before I watched some IU games last year....oy vey. Those two teams have produced some good basketball over the years. Big West or whatever out there.... yikes...probably watch info mercials.

I used to watch a ton of college basketball.  I was like Scott, would watch anything at anytime.  Over the least 15-20 years though my interest has waned to pretty much watching IU and no one else.  I don't even watch high level Big Ten games if IU is not involved.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I used to watch a ton of college basketball.  I was like Scott, would watch anything at anytime.  Over the least 15-20 years though my interest has waned to pretty much watching IU and no one else.  I don't even watch high level Big Ten games if IU is not involved.  

Trust me....if it get's you out of Housewives of New York or 90 Day Fiance, Sister Wives or whatever other crap the wife is watching I promise you would watch it....and BE THANKFUL!!

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Good friend of mine up in Chicago has a weird work schedule. Or maybe the family drives him crazy and he just wants alone time in the cave.... but he'll literally text me at 1045pm and say are you watching this SDSU/Nevada game? Watches all college hoops/football year round.

• Like 2