Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’ll be honest I was skeptical of coach Woodson but he has been impressive. If he has success which I think he will then I could see him retiring here because I don’t think he would leave for greener pastures. So my question is how long does everyone think he could realistically be here for with him being in his early 60s?

80...so 15yrs...ish

Edited by Dawg Bawls

10 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’ll be honest I was skeptical of coach Woodson but he has been impressive. If he has success which I think he will then I could see him retiring here because I don’t think he would leave for greener pastures. So my question is how long does everyone think he could realistically be here for with him being in his early 60s?

Depends on how long it takes him to win 3 titles. 

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think in just about every scenario Mike is coach for 4-8 years. I think the pressure for him to hand over the reigns to Fife will be pretty big. He already has pretty serious back problems...I think he can only go for so long. I think his whole goal all along was to right this ship....get IU basketball back on track. Return the glory and history and alumni back into the fold and then set this thing on a steady coarse for the next coach. Maybe if he has championship caliber teams in those final years he may hang on a couple more but honestly I think this man loves coaching...but mostly just wants to get IU back to where it belongs...and when that happens he will happily step aside into an advisory role and let the young guys take over. Just my personal opinion.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think in just about every scenario Mike is coach for 4-8 years. I think the pressure for him to hand over the reigns to Fife will be pretty big. He already has pretty serious back problems...I think he can only go for so long. I think his whole goal all along was to right this ship....get IU basketball back on track. Return the glory and history and alumni back into the fold and then set this thing on a steady coarse for the next coach. Maybe if he has championship caliber teams in those final years he may hang on a couple more but honestly I think this man loves coaching...but mostly just wants to get IU back to where it belongs...and when that happens he will happily step aside into an advisory role and let the young guys take over. Just my personal opinion.

I think you make s lot of great points I think the key will be how long will fife stay as the assistant coach.

On 6/8/2021 at 4:11 PM, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think you make s lot of great points I think the key will be how long will fife stay as the assistant coach.

He stayed with Izzo for several years. I think now that he’s back home, he’ll have some patience. Not infinite patience, but a decent degree. And like has been said, Woodson has some years and some miles on him. Still has several good years in front of him, but he’s not a spring chicken either.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I dont know if it mean more wins but the last 3 nights CMW has been in late. Never seen Archie here after 6pm

Interesting you say that.  I have noticed a number of clues that Woody is a huge upgrade in terms of work ethic.  I have thought this for awhile but didn’t want to trash Archie.  I am far more down on Archie than I ever let on because what’s the point.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

I dont know if it mean more wins but the last 3 nights CMW has been in late. Never seen Archie here after 6pm

Coach had his share of late nights in Bloomington running suicides and other activities that likely ended with him sucking wind and/or puking his guts out. In his mind, if he could get through that, he can surely put in some late hours behind a desk or watching film. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting you say that.  I have noticed a number of clues that Woody is a huge upgrade in terms of work ethic.  I have thought this for awhile but didn’t want to trash Archie.  I am far more down on Archie than I ever let on because what’s the point.  

E419B89F-74F2-4FEF-A3AD-7B2A1F5CA847.jpeg

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, IUaic said:

Archie had a hot wife and a daughter to raise. Who is to say he wasn't working at home as well?

I have a hot wife and wonderful daughter at home....and the only work I get done is trash, dishes, folding laundry, walking the dogs, and playing and picking up after the little one lol. 

No I'm sure Archie was watching tons of tape and working on concepts at home...it's the computer age...everything can be done remotely. Woody is a go to the office type of guy....go meet in person dude...kind of old school. Besides it probably is better work life balance to separate work and home...the lines get muddied way to easy...seen it before.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Gotta love Fife! Hilarious...

Can't say he'd be much in a full court game against all those young thoroughbreds given his knees, but give Coach a good enough screen from 16-18 feet and he could probably still put on a show worth watching. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...