Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

While Woody had a pretty successful tenure in the league, he wasn’t recognized for his success as a head coach in the NBA, and I believe that got him a little fired up for this challenge. Couple that with being an IU alum and being fired up about what this program had turned into… never know, college might’ve been his cup of tea all along.. 

I do not want to restart all of the fighting that occurred when Woody was first hired, but corrected anyway.

If you want my arguments why he was an underrecognized for his success as a head coach, just dig up my figures from around the time of his hire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m glad we have CMW, but it’s awful tough to compare him and CAM. Totally different situations (leftover roster, transfer portal, etc.) for the two. Now, do I believe that CAM could have come in to the same situation and done the same thing, no, but I’m fairly certain CAM took it seriously as well. Just didn’t work out for him. Little early to be crowning CMW as Moses isn’t it?

I got a bit excited, I admit.  It's just nice to have fun watching good fundamental IU Basketball again. 

9 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I got a bit excited, I admit.  It's just nice to have fun watching good fundamental IU Basketball again. 

I wonder how much of the excitement is the “hope” for more fundamental basketball due to having an ex-IU legend and NBA coach, not so much the results just yet. Until this past game, our FT and 3 pt shooting were terrible, our halves have been inconsistent, and we’re turning the ball over like crazy. I’m cautiously optimistic based on what CMW is done so far off the court, but I’m still seeing the same issues we had before. CMW deserves time though and I hope it shines through as we get into Big10 play. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Listen to Don Fisher on Indiana Sports Beat and talked about his first game as a announcer.  It was 1973 and the first game was against Citadel and IU committed 33 turnovers.  Some think that RMK teams always played near perfect basketball.

Actually, I remember RMK sometimes not calling timeouts early in the season and just letting the team "learn the hard way." There were some brutal stretches in game because of that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Actually, I remember RMK sometimes not calling timeouts early in the season and just letting the team "learn the hard way." There were some brutal stretches in game because of that.

I heard on more than 1 occasion Coach yell I am not here to hold your Fing hands play through it. In practice and in games it was always a teachable moment. 

13 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

Knight was so methodical about many things. Specifically, the well documented, “I want 5 good passes before you shoot” demand & expectation. 

This excerpt from Coach Woodson’s post game interview, says a lot about the incredibly, positive direction this team is going due to it’s coaching philosophy, leadership, expectations and player buy-in….

…. I don't let him off the hook there either. But I think Trayce, Rob is not with us right now, and Khristian are still learning. It's okay because, again, I'm demanding when it comes to -- they probably played for coaches that didn't push them as hard as I'm pushing, but I expect more and I'm going to keep coaching them that way.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

This excerpt from Coach Woodson’s post game interview, says a lot about the incredibly, positive direction this team is going due to it’s coaching philosophy, leadership, expectations and player buy-in….

…. I don't let him off the hook there either. But I think Trayce, Rob is not with us right now, and Khristian are still learning. It's okay because, again, I'm demanding when it comes to -- they probably played for coaches that didn't push them as hard as I'm pushing, but I expect more and I'm going to keep coaching them that way.

Momentum this season is so important, because I really think with the way Dolson and Woodson are building this, that just some momentum on the court the sky is the limit. 

With Woodson, Matta, and Armond Hill, IU has the equivalent of an NBA front office, and I didn't even mention the actual coaching staff. 

With the advent of NIL, etc., Dolson and Woodson have built a pro organization in a college setting. 

Woodson, Matta and Hill have all worked with pros. Matta at the college level, and Woodson and Hill have worked with some of the greatest players in NBA history. 

With just some good positive on-court momentum, there's no telling how well these guys should (key word, should) recruit, and we know they can coach. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I agree with BGleas. Momentum is huge, not just for competing for a top spot in the conference, and a solid seed and a couple of wins in the tournament, but also for setting the table for next year and beyond. IU football had more momentum than I have ever seen coming into this year, and it is clearly gone. A strong showing in by the basketball program throughout the course of this season, combined with solid recruiting/transfer portal, should set us up for the long haul.  The obvious difference between IU football and basketball is the talent level as it compares to the rest of the Big Ten. IU basketball has, and should continue to have, talent on par with the best teams in the league, while the football team does not.  And as BGleas pointed out, it really appears that our program is being built to attract future NBA players.  It will be nice when we aren't in the "hope springs eternal" mindset anymore, and we reclaim our rightful spot among the elite.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Woodson on Dakich today.

Gotta love Coach Woody...

Paraphrasing...

Dakich: is there an increased sense of urgency in college playing less games than the pros?

CMW: There's should be a sense of urgency every time the ball goes up, whether it be grade school, high school, college, or the pros.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, southsidehoosier said:

I get it that Ray isn't a big CBK fan from that. Also that he, along with me, think there's been some internal sabotage over the last couple decades (ish). 

On a positive note, I as a 10 yr old LOVED to watch Ray dunk and play with that Alpha mentality. I also vividly recall as a 10-11 year old, wondering why we didn't play Landon at the 5 and Tolbert at a wing. hmm Guess Ray answered that for me 42 years later. 

• 3 weeks later...