Should have just hired Hubie Brown

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still feel nauseous.  i love the Matta part.  if you're gonna do that, why not hire a Fife or Lewis for him to mentor?

Why would you hire a guy with zero head coaching experience, or a guy with an overall losing record (although Fife's PUFW teams did improve each year) at a lower level, over a guy who was an all time great at IU, played 10 seasons in the NBA, coached for 21 seasons in the NBA, (9 as a head coach) with a history of making sad-sack franchises into winners?

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't...

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Why would you hire a guy with zero head coaching experience, or a guy with an overall losing record (although Fife's PUFW teams did improve each year) at a lower level, over a guy who was an all time great at IU, played 10 seasons in the NBA, coached for 21 seasons in the NBA, (9 as a head coach) with a history of making sad-sack franchises into winners?

Anyone in their right mind wouldn't...

if we feel that Woodson isn't qualified without a mentor like Matta, i'd rather get a young guy who might end up being a great coach some day like Fife or Lewis than an old guy who has never coached in college and was an assistant in the NBA.  don't get me wrong, i would have also been devastated by Fife or Lewis.  the good news is that you and i can keep disagreeing even with Archie gone!

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

if we feel that Woodson isn't qualified without a mentor like Matta, i'd rather get a young guy who might end up being a great coach some day like Fife or Lewis than an old guy who has never coached in college and was an assistant in the NBA.  don't get me wrong, i would have also been devastated by Fife or Lewis.  the good news is that you and i can keep disagreeing even with Archie gone!

Much like Phil Martelli helped Juwan Howard navigate the college basketball waters, Matta can help Woody do the same, albeit in a different capacity...Praise for Woody's coaching chops in the NBA is wide and universal...The more great basketball minds we have around the program (and I'm pretty sure Matta will offer actual coaching advice) the better off the program is...

The end goal for a lot of these kids is the NBA...Fife or Lewis have no real knowledge of that inner world...Woody's knowledge of the NBA, both as a player and as a coach, are all encompassing...

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

Much like Phil Martelli helped Juwan Howard navigate the college basketball waters, Matta can help Woody do the same, albeit in a different capacity...Praise for Woody's coaching chops in the NBA is wide and universal...The more great basketball minds we have around the program (and I'm pretty sure Matta will offer actual coaching advice) the better off the program is...

The end goal for a lot of these kids is the NBA...Fife or Lewis have no real knowledge of that inner world...Woody's knowledge of the NBA, both as a player and as a coach, are all encompassing...

good to keep agreeing to disagree, but i bet your outlook makes you a much happier person sports wise than me.  i want greatness and hate losing.   

• Like 1

Just now, HoosierJax said:

Lewis is still in the tournament...something tells me the hiring is over yet

okay, but that eases this blow?  hire a few guys who don't have college coaching experience because they went to IU and put an experienced guy in a supervisor type position that can't sit on the bench or recruit?  yikes.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HoosierJax said:

Well there is always Purdue...they are looking for new fans all the time.

thanks buddy.  i will always watch and support IU bball.  i will support Woodson and pray that i am very wrong.  i'll be excited for the season as i was Crean's 6-25 season.  i just personally think this was a horrible hire.  doesn't mean i'm not a fan,  but again thanks for being so ready to get rid of me as a fan!  have a great day!

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

thanks buddy.  i will always watch and support IU bball.  i will support Woodson and pray that i am very wrong.  i'll be excited for the season as i was Crean's 6-25 season.  i just personally think this was a horrible hire.  doesn't mean i'm not a fan,  but again thanks for being so ready to get rid of me as a fan!  have a great day!

My initial reaction was not super positive either....

But this could work.  We may end up with Lewis/Fige on staff...who knows?

Something we all need to come to grips with, right now it is IU vs. the world.  I don't think the big names were that interested without throwing a really undeserved amount of money at them and none of the names being pushed were a sure thing.  None.  I see this being mostly panned throughout the college media world as well, but most of them have been piling on us for years and also thought Archie Miller was the guy.

We should be supportive unless we are given reason not to (based on things on the court).

12 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

My initial reaction was not super positive either....

But this could work.  We may end up with Lewis/Fige on staff...who knows?

Something we all need to come to grips with, right now it is IU vs. the world.  I don't think the big names were that interested without throwing a really undeserved amount of money at them and none of the names being pushed were a sure thing.  None.  I see this being mostly panned throughout the college media world as well, but most of them have been piling on us for years and also thought Archie Miller was the guy.

We should be supportive unless we are given reason not to (based on things on the court).

absolutely.  i will definitely be supportive and excited!  i just think it is going to be ugly sooner than later.  i love when i think things like this and am wrong though!

• Like 1

IU's coach is one of the following:

• Woodson
  • Fife
  • Lewis
  • A, Miller

Eager recruit, or more importantly for next year, eager player in the transfer portal says "I want to pick a school where the coach can help me get to the NBA".

Which one of the above selections has the best pedigree to make that happen?

Sure, Stevens would have been the grand slam.  But, he wasn't coming.  Woodson/Matta provides the opportunity to right the ship and prevent it from sinking further.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

😎...dont be so sensitive..it was a tongue in cheek comment, guess i should have used the drinking coffee emoji..Woodson will do fine and has the support of alot of people...NBA and former players...and i would think he will recruit very well in the State and Indy area.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

😎...dont be so sensitive..it was a tongue in cheek comment, guess i should have used the drinking coffee emoji..Woodson will do fine and has the support of alot of people...NBA and former players...and i would think he will recruit very well in the State and Indy area.

i sure hope you're right.  i promise you can mark it down, if i'm wrong, i'll be thrilled to be a Woodson fan and start winning again!  i just don't see it.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

IU's coach is one of the following:

• Woodson
  • Fife
  • Lewis
  • A, Miller

Eager recruit, or more importantly for next year, eager player in the transfer portal says "I want to pick a school where the coach can help me get to the NBA".

Which one of the above selections has the best pedigree to make that happen?

Sure, Stevens would have been the grand slam.  But, he wasn't coming.  Woodson/Matta provides the opportunity to right the ship and prevent it from sinking further.

good God.  i think the problem is those 4 choices!  

• Like 1