2021-2022 Roster

So, let me start by saying #1 - this is me getting excited about next year even though I think it was the wrong hire.  Doesn't mean I'm not excited to see what happens!  #2 - although I am not Mr. Positive ☺️, I think as fans this should be a positive thread in that I would like for all of our guys to come back and hope people don't bash kids.  That said, I do think we could be very competitive if lots of things come together.  Can we use this thread to update the projected roster?  Do we think our guys will be making decisions soon now?  My outlook is we need a lot of this to happen:

Starting 5

Lander - comes back and is ready to be our starting PG

Franklin - comes back and picks up where he left off and obviously keeps improving

Hunter - I have not been as big of a fan as many on here, but we need him offensively.  This is based on me hoping he gets a fire lit under him and plays better defense and more consistent.  He has not entered the portal correct?

Thompson - we need him back

TJD - We absolutely need him back

Off the bench

Stewart - decides to still come and is nearly as good as many on here think he will be.  Maybe he is a starter for Hunter?

Brunk - I am doubting this one, but still think he'd be big as a backup for TJD

RP - someone has to tap into whatever is going on here.  He has not entered the portal correct?

Leal - really just needs to be used the right way.  He's not a starter and not a huge role, but needs to be a shooter off the bench

Galloway - needs to improve his shooting badly.  He's not a starter, but can play a role

Geronimo - I must admit, he finished the season stronger than I expected.  Could be used well off the bench

Duncomb - just come in ready to give spot minutes at the 4 rather than having to play Hunter out of position so much there

This optimistic thing is tough for me, but I do think this group would be competitive if things really work out.  Still argue that it is not a ton of talent, but competitive.  Also interested to hear rumors/speculation about likely possible transfer targets and how likely people feel each of these guys will come back.  

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I don't see any reason why that group, if brought back mostly intact, can't compete for a B1G title next year with the right coaching. It has size up front, outside shooting, AF and TJD have the ability to create their own shot, good depth, and it's an experienced team that has been through some adversity. As for talent, there are two 5 stars in the starting lineup (yeah, yeah, I know recruiting rankings don't mean everything, but still ...), and Franklin was starting to look like someone who could blow up as well.

That's a team that should be in the top half of the B1G minimum and safely in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So, let me start by saying #1 - this is me getting excited about next year even though I think it was the wrong hire.  Doesn't mean I'm not excited to see what happens!  #2 - although I am not Mr. Positive ☺️, I think as fans this should be a positive thread in that I would like for all of our guys to come back and hope people don't bash kids.  That said, I do think we could be very competitive if lots of things come together.  Can we use this thread to update the projected roster?  Do we think our guys will be making decisions soon now?  My outlook is we need a lot of this to happen:

Starting 5

Lander - comes back and is ready to be our starting PG

Franklin - comes back and picks up where he left off and obviously keeps improving

Hunter - I have not been as big of a fan as many on here, but we need him offensively.  This is based on me hoping he gets a fire lit under him and plays better defense and more consistent.  He has not entered the portal correct?

Thompson - we need him back

TJD - We absolutely need him back

Off the bench

Stewart - decides to still come and is nearly as good as many on here think he will be.  Maybe he is a starter for Hunter?

Brunk - I am doubting this one, but still think he'd be big as a backup for TJD

RP - someone has to tap into whatever is going on here.  He has not entered the portal correct?

Leal - really just needs to be used the right way.  He's not a starter and not a huge role, but needs to be a shooter off the bench

Galloway - needs to improve his shooting badly.  He's not a starter, but can play a role

Geronimo - I must admit, he finished the season stronger than I expected.  Could be used well off the bench

Duncomb - just come in ready to give spot minutes at the 4 rather than having to play Hunter out of position so much there

This optimistic thing is tough for me, but I do think this group would be competitive if things really work out.  Still argue that it is not a ton of talent, but competitive.  Also interested to hear rumors/speculation about likely possible transfer targets and how likely people feel each of these guys will come back.  

Hunter's skills are not terribly different than what Mike Woodson's.  Similar build.  Both shooters that can drive, but not super athletes. Maybe CMW would be a perfect coach for Jerome?

I agree that we could be pretty solid.  Still need to shoot the ball much better and need a lot of improvement over the offseason.  I imagine we all look at this differently, but I prioritize somewhat this way:

1  TJD

2 Franklin

3 Thompson

4 Lander - I really didn't see much here in my opinion last year, but I think he would make all the difference if he's ready this year

5 Hunter

6 Stewart

7 Leal

8 Brunk

9 Geronimo

10 Duncomb

11 Galloway

12 Phinisee

Curious how badly most disagree with me here...

In my opinion the three most important players for next year are TJD Lander and Duncomb. Trayce for the obvious and Lander because I think he can be the spark that we have been needing at PG. And Duncomb because we need his size especially if Thompson decides to stay in the portal.

We have a couple of players that can be good 3 point shooters, but I think we still need to bring in a transfer or two that are shooters.

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I agree that we could be pretty solid.  Still need to shoot the ball much better and need a lot of improvement over the offseason.  I imagine we all look at this differently, but I prioritize somewhat this way:

1  TJD

2 Franklin

3 Thompson

4 Lander - I really didn't see much here in my opinion last year, but I think he would make all the difference if he's ready this year

5 Hunter

6 Stewart

7 Leal

8 Brunk

9 Geronimo

10 Duncomb

11 Galloway

12 Phinisee

Curious how badly most disagree with me here...

I would not put Rob down in the last position. One thing that is common with almost every team that has post season success is that they have experienced guards. Regardless of his ups, and mostly downs, over the last years, Rob is our most experienced guard. Maybe with a different coaching staff, they can get him back to the player we were all excited about after he hit the game winning shot v Butler a few years back. 

I agree, Lander is the future, but Rob can provide some valuable minutes as well as guidance as he hands the keys over to Lander

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I would not put Rob down in the last position. One thing that is common with almost every team that has post season success is that they have experienced guards. Regardless of his ups, and mostly downs, over the last years, Rob is our most experienced guard. Maybe with a different coaching staff, they can get him back to the player we were all excited about after he hit the game winning shot v Butler a few years back. 

I agree, Lander is the future, but Rob can provide some valuable minutes as well as guidance as he hands the keys over to Lander

i don't really disagree.  honestly, i could put him as high as 5th if he could put things together.  

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

In my opinion the three most important players for next year are TJD Lander and Duncomb. Trayce for the obvious and Lander because I think he can be the spark that we have been needing at PG. And Duncomb because we need his size especially if Thompson decides to stay in the portal.

We have a couple of players that can be good 3 point shooters, but I think we still need to bring in a transfer or two that are shooters.

i don't expect enough out of Duncomb as a freshman to think he's that high of a priority, but i hope he is ready to contribute right away.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't expect enough out of Duncomb as a freshman to think he's that high of a priority, but i hope he is ready to contribute right away.

We might need to get another big in the portal, because like you said he might not be ready to contribute right away.

my buddy just sent me a breakdown from Rabjohn's thoughts on odds of staying or going.  said Franklin will be tough, but possible.  said Michigan is after Lander, but we could get him to stay.  said Geronimo was about a 1% chance to stay, but now worth at least monitoring.  said Stewart basically stays if Kenya stays and goes if he goes.  said Race has a strong pull to go back to MN, but could stay.  

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

my buddy just sent me a breakdown from Rabjohn's thoughts on odds of staying or going.  said Franklin will be tough, but possible.  said Michigan is after Lander, but we could get him to stay.  said Geronimo was about a 1% chance to stay, but now worth at least monitoring.  said Stewart basically stays if Kenya stays and goes if he goes.  said Race has a strong pull to go back to MN, but could stay.  

Yeah from all the talk on other boards and stuff it didn’t seem like Geronimo was coming back regardless of who the coach was. I think he wanted to go back closer to home. 

Franklin is the one I'm most curious about.  If he goes, where to and what reasons.  Does he have a top flight program/coach after him that he feels would be better for his development?  Will be hard to find a coach with more NBA experience than Woodson.

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Franklin is the one I'm most curious about.  If he goes, where to and what reasons.  Does he have a top flight program/coach after him that he feels would be better for his development?  Will be hard to find a coach with more NBA experience than Woodson.

no shocker, but reports are that he has a lot of choices.  Illinois is the only one i remember.  

Gotta keep Franklin and Lander.  I’d also like to keep Geronimo too, but I get that he’s an east coast guy who probably wants to go back home.  Wouldn’t mind trying to upgrade on the other guys through the portal, especially Thompson and Brunk.  We need more athleticism at the forward spot.

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If Rob is part of any solution, he must be a role player.  He has proven that he isnt a floor general.  IMO, at his age he is what he is.  Seeing the quickness and leadership from the PGs in sweet 16 shows how average Rob and Al are/were.  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I think Franklin is huge for next year. He's probably the only guy on this current team that can create his own shot, he's clearly willing to put in the work, and he could potentially have two more years left which is invaluable experience for a team that's going to go through a program change. 

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

Yeah from all the talk on other boards and stuff it didn’t seem like Geronimo was coming back regardless of who the coach was. I think he wanted to go back closer to home. 

Sad, if he goes.  To me he is an exceptional talent, if coached well.  

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Not everyone will be back. Some by player choice or mutual parting of ways. Woodson said the transfer portal is a two way street.

IMO, Hoosiers might be able to upgrade, addition by subtraction.   Anyone notice how few airballs are lofted by teams in the tourney?   IU may have lead the Big10 in bricks last year.   

Archived