2021-2022 Roster

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m not saying RP is a world beater but I’d trust him running the point over Lander right now. Obviously Lander has higher potential but is he ready to be a full-time starter?

I could be wrong, but I fully expect a transfer in to be the starting PG next year. 

25 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’m not saying RP is a world beater but I’d trust him running the point over Lander right now. Obviously Lander has higher potential but is he ready to be a full-time starter?

this is what i said all of last year, but i think Lander has a hole different game we will see sooner than later.  if i'm wrong, and we have the same player as last year, he's definitely not a starting PG in the B1G.  let's not forget this is the class he was top 5 in or whatever.  i think this position is HUGE for us.  if we don't score a starting caliber PG in the portal and Lander isn't ready to start, it's gonna hurt a lot... unless... Rob gets back to where we saw him a couple years ago.  

25 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this is what i said all of last year, but i think Lander has a hole different game we will see sooner than later.  if i'm wrong, and we have the same player as last year, he's definitely not a starting PG in the B1G.  let's not forget this is the class he was top 5 in or whatever.  i think this position is HUGE for us.  if we don't score a starting caliber PG in the portal and Lander isn't ready to start, it's gonna hurt a lot... unless... Rob gets back to where we saw him a couple years ago.  

Rob is going to be the biggest question mark heading into next season. It is very possible that he may thrive in faster paced , more open system where he can push it and react. 

Wow, what a day! Geronimo and Lander return and we add Fife to the coaching staff.... it doesn’t get much better than that. We might not win the NC next year, but we just became RELEVANT again in a hurry. Add a couple of impact transfers, and we can expect big things in the next couple of years, especially as CMW opens up the offense and lets these guys play. 

Lander has the ability, but his confidence seemed rattled fairly early in the season.  

Would love to see Woodson hand Lander the ball, and simply guide shot selection along with shooting help.  If his primary focus is controlling pace and distributing the ball, he could be a star in the making. 

Are Race and Franklin the only players who haven’t made their decisions? I’d call that a huge victory in itself to retain everyone if they came back, besides Al. Pickup the guard from Pitt and look for a shooter! 

Brooks from UK would be a great transfer, 1# if he enters portal. 

2 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Lander has the ability, but his confidence seemed rattled fairly early in the season.  

Would love to see Woodson hand Lander the ball, and simply guide shot selection along with shooting help.  If his primary focus is controlling pace and distributing the ball, he could be a star in the making. 

Agreed.  Lander will have the greatest impact on the team if he averages 6-8 points AND 6-8 assists per game.

3 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

this is my thought.  if Lander can be convinced that he runs the show, pushes pace all game long, but is clearly a pass first PG, i think things could be very interesting.  

1 hour ago, H00sier said:

Are Race and Franklin the only players who haven’t made their decisions? I’d call that a huge victory in itself to retain everyone if they came back, besides Al. Pickup the guard from Pitt and look for a shooter! 

Brooks from UK would be a great transfer, 1# if he enters portal. 

this is what i'm saying.  i wonder if we can get confirmation on Brunk?  i'm greedy now.  give me Brunk, Race, Franklin, Johnson, and Brooks!  

So here is the thing. Yes it is fantastic getting guys to stay. Yes it is awesome getting Fife. However, we still, as of now, have the same team as last year who went 12-15 (also think we could have someone transfer). We can talk all day about Archie, but he did run some great plays and we just could not make shots. We were BAD at shooting. Parker should help, but he hasn't played in over a year, and we realistically don't know what he will bring.

Brunk and Duncomb will help in the post, but that's not our weakness.

We need a player or 2 from the portal who can SHOOT to make this team solid.

The past week has been exciting, but we are still a ways away from having a good team.

13 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

So here is the thing. Yes it is fantastic getting guys to stay. Yes it is awesome getting Fife. However, we still, as of now, have the same team as last year who went 12-15 (also think we could have someone transfer). We can talk all day about Archie, but he did run some great plays and we just could not make shots. We were BAD at shooting. Parker should help, but he hasn't played in over a year, and we realistically don't know what he will bring.

The past week has been exciting, but we are still a ways away from having a good team.

I don't disagree with your premise that we need a roster upgrade.  But, I also think the coaching change will have a significant impact on the performance of some players.  Last year, on the court, I didn't see a lot of confidence, heart, or toughness.  Those are things that good coaching can help fix. 

Archie's issue was never about the X's and O's or recruiting.  It was about getting the players to perform to their potential.  I could be wrong, but from my couch, I just never saw a connection between him and the players.  Making that connection, like Tom Allen has done, can help make a team that does not have Top 10 talent be a Top 10 team.

10 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

Adding shooting is a must for this team to turn the corner.  I also think we need a guard who can attack off the dribble.  Baylor had several guys like that who could drive to the basket or shoot off the dribble.  A guy like Xavier Johnson, would be a huge help.  His 3 point % wasn't  great, but he had several games where he caught fire and knocked down several 3's.  He can hit shots and attack off the dribble.  We really don't really have anyone like that on our roster.  Maybe Parker can do that, maybe Franklin comes back and plays like he did pre-injury, maybe Lander plays with more confidence in the new system.  I would still feel better if we add shooting and/or a guy that can create his own shot. 

14 hours ago, Reacher said:

Rob is going to be the biggest question mark heading into next season. It is very possible that he may thrive in faster paced , more open system where he can push it and react. 

I would love Dane to work with Rob.  There was a guy who admitted that he did not know where he fit on his team and a guy who kind of had a light go on his senior year from an offensive standpoint.  He may have some advice for Rob.

Several have commented about how they feel Woody can/will develop Geronimo but I also think he could he potentially have a similar affect on Hunter's game.  I say that because, IMO, there are a number of similarities between Jerome's and Woodson's (as a player) games and bodies.

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

I agree, but I'm a little conflicted.  I have been saying for over a year that this isn't a particularly talented group by the numbers.  On the other hand, if we end up starting TJD, Lander, Thompson, and Hunter their recruiting numbers were pretty good.  I do think last year's group collapsed and very easily could have/should have been 15-12.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I agree, but I'm a little conflicted.  I have been saying for over a year that this isn't a particularly talented group by the numbers.  On the other hand, if we end up starting TJD, Lander, Thompson, and Hunter their recruiting numbers were pretty good.  I do think last year's group collapsed and very easily could have/should have been 15-12.  

O.o what does that matter in the least bit?

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

O.o what does that matter in the least bit?

Oh come on man, he is just making the point our talent may not be as bad as he had previously thought. Don't turn this into a debate on whether recruiting rankings matter. We all know the bigger point he was trying to make.  😁

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh come on man, he is just making the point our talent may not be as bad as he had previously thought. Don't turn this into a debate on whether recruiting rankings matter. We all know the bigger point he was trying to make.  😁

exactly.  dang, i'm trying my best to be positive for once!  just for my buddy IUFLA i'm trying to allow some sunshine in!  my point is that yes, yes, yes, we all know that numbers can be wrong.  Dwyane Wade, Oladipo, blah, blah, blah.  in reality talent does matter and i'd still prefer guys ranked in the top 50 as much as possible.  when you argue rankings don't matter, it is usually because you don't have guys highly ranked.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

No.. I don't at all. That's why I asked. Hunter has shown ZERO at the college level, so has Lander.. but obviously he (hopefully) just wasn't ready for college, yet and we will see some big time improvement. Our "talent" might be ok. Our skill level is not. 3 of the 4 players listed shot under 30% from 3 and the other 34%.

These guys are 3 and 4 years removed from their "recruiting ranking."

Archived