2021-2022 Roster

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

exactly.  dang, i'm trying my best to be positive for once!  just for my buddy IUFLA i'm trying to allow some sunshine in!  my point is that yes, yes, yes, we all know that numbers can be wrong.  Dwyane Wade, Oladipo, blah, blah, blah.  in reality talent does matter and i'd still prefer guys ranked in the top 50 as much as possible.  when you argue rankings don't matter, it is usually because you don't have guys highly ranked.

Rankings don't matter, at all.

But you can still be realistic about the players we have on our team. They aren't overly talented. They aren't overly skilled. We need them developed, and we need 2 or 3 transfers.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, btownqb said:

No.. I don't at all. That's why I asked. Hunter has shown ZERO at the college level, so has Lander.. but obviously he (hopefully) just wasn't ready for college, yet and we will see some big time improvement. Our "talent" might be ok. Our skill level is not. 3 of the 4 players listed shot under 30% from 3 and the other 34%.

These guys are 3 and 4 years removed from their "recruiting ranking."

Do you think we really have that many bad shooters on this team. Or was it due to the lack of freedom, feeling hesitant, dwindling confidence all piling up?

Seriously asking, would love your thoughts...and others.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

No.. I don't at all. That's why I asked. Hunter has shown ZERO at the college level, so has Lander.. but obviously he (hopefully) just wasn't ready for college, yet and we will see some big time improvement. Our "talent" might be ok. Our skill level is not. 3 of the 4 players listed shot under 30% from 3 and the other 34%.

i totally agree with you.  i was literally trying to present a counter argument to me always saying we don't have much talent.  i'm trying to get excited about the future.  where are my buddies IUFLA and Scott when i need them!?  this positive thing isn't working out!  

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Do you think we really have that many bad shooters on this team. Or was it due to the lack of freedom, feeling hesitant, dwindling confidence all piling up?

I think it's not been developed.. at all. Confidence is for sure playing a part. Other teams guards LIVE in the lane, we have none of that.. besides Armaan, at times.

We have zero spacing on the court because of Archie playing 2 bigs that can't shoot, almost all the time. That killed Armaan and Durham from consistently getting open ones.

I am still of the belief that we don't have the talent to be a top level team, but I guess if the top 5 here perform at the expected level of their rankings coming in, it's not bad theoretically.  I have had many tell me that it compares favorably to other top teams.  I'm not doing that research!  Anyway, although I don't think Lander or Hunter perform anywhere near this level, this is what it looks like:

Lander #27 (6 PG)

TJD #30 (7 C)

Hunter #59 (12 PF)

Geronimo #103 (21 SF)

Thompson #134 (34 PF) - I heard this is much higher when he reclassed, but I can't find it

Phinisee #135 (22 PG)

Franklin #151 (27 SG)

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I think it's not been developed.. at all. Confidence is for sure playing a part. Other teams guards LIVE in the lane, we have none of that.. besides Armaan, at times.

We have zero spacing on the court because of Archie playing 2 bigs that can't shoot, almost all the time. That killed Armaan and Durham from consistently getting open ones.

Agree, but man, as the season went on we missed so many wide open threes.

Maybe they were mindscrewed by that point. But seems we had plenty of open looks.

I just feel Hunter, Armaan, Rob, Leal.....those guys should be high 30% to near 40% shooters. And we were brick city (if we hit the rim at all).

Then add in the awful free throw shooting. Something was off beyond us not having capable shooters.

10 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Rankings don't matter, at all.

But you can still be realistic about the players we have on our team. They aren't overly talented. They aren't overly skilled. We need them developed, and we need 2 or 3 transfers.

agree with all other than rankings don't matter.  clearly there are plenty of exceptions, but give me top 50 guys every year and i like my odds better than giving me 100-150 guys and just saying rankings don't matter.  

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Agree, but man, as the season went on we missed so many wide open threes.

Maybe they were mindscrewed by that point. But seems we had plenty of open looks.

I just feel Hunter, Armaan, Rob, Leal.....those guys should be high 30% to near 40% shooters. And we were brick city (if we hit the rim at all).

Then add in the awful free throw shooting. Something was off beyond us not having capable shooters.

Rob... ehh idk. I'm not sure he has a spot, hope I'm wrong though. Armaan is there now. I really think PG play had a lot to do with what is wrong with our offense. Capable PG, stretch 4. (doesn't necessarily have to shoot the 3, but have guard skills)

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

agree with all other than rankings don't matter.  clearly there are plenty of exceptions, but give me top 50 guys every year and i like my odds better than giving me 100-150 guys and just saying rankings don't matter.  

Never going to agree on that and I'm not going to get into it here. Agree to disagree.

9 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I think a significant amount of our offensive ineptitude, and therefore our record, is related to how the team was coached.  And, I think we will see marked improvement in a few players next season if Woodson has the kind of impact I think he will.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think a significant amount of our offensive ineptitude, and therefore our record, is related to how the team was coached.  And, I think we will see marked improvement in a few players next season if Woodson has the kind of impact I think he will.

I am sorry fouls. When I said I wanted input from others, I didn't mean you.

28 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I tend to think the system and lack fo confidence played into it quite a bit. Time will tell, of course, but I can 4 guys on our current roster (assuming Armaan comes back) shooting over 40% from deep. 

We could very well be looking at something like this next year:

X. Johnson

Franklin

Stewart

Brooks

TJD

Lander

Hunter

Geronimo

Brunk

Rob/Leal/Galloway

Duncomb

That's a pretty dang good and deep group. 

I don't know why people are counting on Brooks...

This is from 5 days ago...

"However, as of now, Brooks has no plans to transfer and will likely be playing at Kentucky ‘if’ he’s playing college hoops this fall.

“He’s going to put his name in the draft, see what that does and then go from there,” Brooks’ father, Keion Brooks Sr., told Tucker.

If Brooks Jr. stays in college next season, “it wouldn’t be nowhere else but Kentucky, unless he throws me a curveball,” Brooks Sr. added."

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I agree, but I'm a little conflicted.  I have been saying for over a year that this isn't a particularly talented group by the numbers.  On the other hand, if we end up starting TJD, Lander, Thompson, and Hunter their recruiting numbers were pretty good.  I do think last year's group collapsed and very easily could have/should have been 15-12.  

Maybe they didn't look as talented because of how restricted they were on offense.  If you take the first 10 minutes of the MSU home game and the Rutgers game on the road it showed us what this team could look like.  Also the last 30 minutes did that on the negative side.

36 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't know why people are counting on Brooks...

This is from 5 days ago...

"However, as of now, Brooks has no plans to transfer and will likely be playing at Kentucky ‘if’ he’s playing college hoops this fall.

“He’s going to put his name in the draft, see what that does and then go from there,” Brooks’ father, Keion Brooks Sr., told Tucker.

If Brooks Jr. stays in college next season, “it wouldn’t be nowhere else but Kentucky, unless he throws me a curveball,” Brooks Sr. added."

Not counting on him and I don't particularly want his selfish father in the mix, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if he leaves UK.  It's not like Cal came through with getting him to those NBA millions quickly.  Kid was sold a bill of goods like a lot of kids the squid has recruited.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I am still of the belief that we don't have the talent to be a top level team, but I guess if the top 5 here perform at the expected level of their rankings coming in, it's not bad theoretically.  I have had many tell me that it compares favorably to other top teams.  I'm not doing that research!  Anyway, although I don't think Lander or Hunter perform anywhere near this level, this is what it looks like:

Lander #27 (6 PG)

TJD #30 (7 C)

Hunter #59 (12 PF)

Geronimo #103 (21 SF)

Thompson #134 (34 PF) - I heard this is much higher when he reclassed, but I can't find it

Phinisee #135 (22 PG)

Franklin #151 (27 SG)

Michigan

N/R

That was UM's starting lineup. Off the bench 36, 70, 177.

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Michigan

N/R

That was UM's starting lineup. Off the bench 36, 70, 177.

Their experience level was very high...their rotation guys were 6 upperclassmen (5 seniors) a soph (Wagner) and a frosh (the big kid)...

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Can’t agree at all with Hunter showing zero, cmon man, he’s the only guy we had who had the courage to shoot the dang ball, granted he missed some and made some. I’m guessing Archie was really strict about what he would call a good shot, the game has changed so much that fall away jumpers, floaters, and guarded 3’s are the norm in NBA and it’s what these young men take now. 

Im a fan of Hunter and honestly believe he’s got the potential to be one of our top 3 scorers next year, he needs to stay healthy and keep working , that year injured hurt him real bad.

5 minutes ago, H00sier said:

Can’t agree at all with Hunter showing zero, cmon man, he’s the only guy we had who had the courage to shoot the dang ball, granted he missed some and made some. I’m guessing Archie was really strict about what he would call a good shot, the game has changed so much that fall away jumpers, floaters, and guarded 3’s are the norm in NBA and it’s what these young men take now. 

Im a fan of Hunter and honestly believe he’s got the potential to be one of our top 3 scorers next year, he needs to stay healthy and keep working , that year injured hurt him real bad.

Hunter has scored 272 points at the college level in 55 games. I'm not picking on him by saying he's shown nothing, it's the truth. I'm not saying he isn't going to help us... just saying that ranking next to his name as far as recruiting services goes looks absolutely stupid right now.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hunter has scored 272 points at the college level in 55 games. I'm not picking on him by saying he's shown nothing, it's the truth.

You have the numbers, I guess I’m seeing something that isn’t there, or it’s just under the surface and hopefully Coach can bring it out of him. I’m calling it now - write me down for Hunter to average 8 a game, I’d go higher but with Franklin and Davis 8 will be solid.

5 minutes ago, H00sier said:

You have the numbers, I guess I’m seeing something that isn’t there, or it’s just under the surface and hopefully Coach can bring it out of him. I’m calling it now - write me down for Hunter to average 8 a game, I’d go higher but with Franklin and Davis 8 will be solid.

I can see him averaging that, as well. The discussion wasn't whether Hunter can help us though.

Archived