2021-2022 Roster

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Hunter has scored 272 points at the college level in 55 games. I'm not picking on him by saying he's shown nothing, it's the truth. I'm not saying he isn't going to help us... just saying that ranking next to his name as far as recruiting services goes looks absolutely stupid right now.

To be completely fair, he dealt with a pretty rare disease. I think he's shown solid improvement and now needs to show more consistency and frankly, needs to be put in more good positions for him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

To be completely fair, he dealt with a pretty rare disease. I think he's shown solid improvement and now needs to show more consistency and frankly, needs to be put in more good positions for him. 

I'm good with him standing in a corner and shooting. But again.. the discussion was in reference to his ranking when I made that comment.  

I'm fine with JH. He shot 3 3s a game last year.. I hope that's closer to 5 this year. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I'm good with him standing in a corner and shooting. But again.. the discussion was in reference to his ranking when I made that comment.  

I'm fine with JH. He shot 3 3s a game last year.. I hope that's closer to 5 this year. 

Agree. Stand in the corner and occasionally cut baseline for easy dunks. 

• Like 4

My opinions.  JH is not fluid enough, nor does he have the handles, to be an effective 3 for heavy minutes.  Can he play there?  Yes.  But not for a heavy dose.  

He’s got a very good jump shot to stretch the floor but he is undersized as a four.  So he’s a bit of a tweener.  

But I do think he’s a pretty tough and competive kid.  In addition to his jumper, he did occasionally score in traffic around the basket with authority.  All that tells me that he can be a nice rotational piece off the bench.   He’s still got two years to improve too.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

i think he also needs to play harder all the time and not just when he is trying to score

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

My opinions.  JH is not fluid enough, nor does he have the handles, to be an effective 3 for heavy minutes.  Can he play there?  Yes.  But not for a heavy dose.  

He’s got a very good jump shot to stretch the floor but he is undersized as a four.  So he’s a bit of a tweener.  

But I do think he’s a pretty tough and competive kid.  In addition to his jumper, he did occasionally score in traffic around the basket with authority.  All that tells me that he can be a nice rotational piece off the bench.   He’s still got two years to improve too.  

Actually has 3 years lol this one doesn't count. 

I guess I just dont look at basketball the same as some. I dont see him as undersized at all, I see him as someone that could be a very solid stretch 4 and honestly... a stretch 4 is the ONLY 4 in this day and age.  

Gonzagas 4 is 6'7. Baylor started 4 guys 6'5 and under. Houstons 4 was 6'7. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

We now have 3 players on our roster that have averaged 14 points or more per game at the college level. 

I think if we keep Armaan our scoring is going to be just fine. 

At the moment I would say:

Johnson

Stewart

Hunter

Geronimo

TJD

or Phinisee or Leal instead of Geronimo?  If Franklin is back, that would be perfect.  Add Race, and maybe:

Johnson

Franklin

Stewart

Thompson

TJD

I am not big on subbing, but have Hunter, Brunk, Lander, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo off the bench!?

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

At the moment I would say:

Johnson

Stewart

Hunter

Geronimo

TJD

or Phinisee or Leal instead of Geronimo?  If Franklin is back, that would be perfect.  Add Race, and maybe:

Johnson

Franklin

Stewart

Thompson

TJD

I am not big on subbing, but have Hunter, Brunk, Lander, Phinisee, Leal, Galloway, Geronimo off the bench!?

I am hoping Franklin is back then slides in for either Geronimo or Hunter. But that's a formidable starting group :)

They are one athletic big man who can defend and rebound away from being a legit conf champ contender.

Right now if anything happened to TJD they would be in trouble. Can't bank on Brunk's back holding up. Don't want to force Duncomb as a freshman to carry them inside. Geronimo is still a work in progress and it would be asking a lot of him to guard the monsters in the B1G. 

And I'd like to see what TJD could do with some help inside and not having to worry about fouling out.

On 4/7/2021 at 6:40 PM, Euroclydon said:

They are one athletic big man who can defend and rebound away from being a legit conf champ contender.

Right now if anything happened to TJD they would be in trouble. Can't bank on Brunk's back holding up. Don't want to force Duncomb as a freshman to carry them inside. Geronimo is still a work in progress and it would be asking a lot of him to guard the monsters in the B1G. 

And I'd like to see what TJD could do with some help inside and not having to worry about fouling out.

I can't disagree with anything to what you said. But.. what team that loses their best player is not in trouble? The last good team we had.. if we lose Yogi off of it, we're screwed. Just saying there is a reason those guys are so important. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That is a surprise that he is going elsewhere.  i guess we will need to go out and get another big guy and hopefully one that can shoot.

I was a little surprised they did say at one time that if were to stay he would've had to find another academic program which can't be that hard to find.

On 4/6/2021 at 12:05 PM, bluegrassIU said:

Agree, but man, as the season went on we missed so many wide open threes.

Maybe they were mindscrewed by that point. But seems we had plenty of open looks.

I just feel Hunter, Armaan, Rob, Leal.....those guys should be high 30% to near 40% shooters. And we were brick city (if we hit the rim at all).

Then add in the awful free throw shooting. Something was off beyond us not having capable shooters.

Very good analysis.  IMO, the excessive bricks is partly a result of CAMs boring, deliberate offense.  I believe shooters will have better %s in a more up tempo style.  This means fewer flat-footed shots.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1