2021-2022 Roster

20 hours ago, AxnJxn said:

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but I don't see any reason why that group, if brought back mostly intact, can't compete for a B1G title next year with the right coaching. It has size up front, outside shooting, AF and TJD have the ability to create their own shot, good depth, and it's an experienced team that has been through some adversity. As for talent, there are two 5 stars in the starting lineup (yeah, yeah, I know recruiting rankings don't mean everything, but still ...), and Franklin was starting to look like someone who could blow up as well.

That's a team that should be in the top half of the B1G minimum and safely in the tournament. 

Outstanding analysis, NCHoosier ...thanks for the time and input.

My thoughts....please edit as you wish.

1.  A small issue, and I suspect I am in the minority, but I would start Geronimo over Hunter.

2.  I echo the comments about wanting Brunt back.  The starting lineup you have is a little on the smallish side, but IU has played quite some time with a three guard lineup.

3.  The guys who intrigue me the most are Stewart - fills a need if he returns, but hasn't played in a year....Galloway - as you suggest, all that is missing is the shooting.  Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Tom Coverdale - obviously minus the shooting skill at this juncture....the new recruite Duncombe.  Like Stewart he fills a pre-defined hole - especially if Brunk doesn't come back.

Best wishes Coach Wooden ! 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Purpose16 said:

1.  A small issue, and I suspect I am in the minority, but I would start Geronimo over Hunter.

2.  I echo the comments about wanting Brunt back.  The starting lineup you have is a little on the smallish side, but IU has played quite some time with a three guard lineup.

3.  The guys who intrigue me the most are Stewart - fills a need if he returns, but hasn't played in a year....Galloway - as you suggest, all that is missing is the shooting.  Is it just me or does he remind anyone else of Tom Coverdale - obviously minus the shooting skill at this juncture....the new recruite Duncombe.  Like Stewart he fills a pre-defined hole - especially if Brunk doesn't come back.

I think we need another PG. We can’t be left sitting on our hands if Lander needs further development and RP isn’t playing well. I hate that we need a 3rd PG to take up at the spot because I so badly want to believe Lander will live up to the 5 star rating and RP will break out of that funk he was in, but we need a contingency plan if history is an indicator. 

Who knows? Maybe those two will play better in another offense where they can play more freely and not have to look over their shoulder at the bench every time they bring the ball up the floor. Maybe Stewart will stay and is a true combo. But this position needs to be figured out in the worst way; in terms of roster management, it should be priority #1, IMO. Priority 2 should be getting our wings to shoot better or find a wing who can shoot. 

19 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think we need another PG. We can’t be left sitting on our hands if Lander needs further development and RP isn’t playing well. I hate that we need a 3rd PG to take up at the spot because I so badly want to believe Lander will live up to the 5 star rating and RP will break out of that funk he was in, but we need a contingency plan if history is an indicator. 

Who knows? Maybe those two will play better in another offense where they can play more freely and not have to look over their shoulder at the bench every time they bring the ball up the floor. Maybe Stewart will stay and is a true combo. But this position needs to be figured out in the worst way; in terms of roster management, it should be priority #1, IMO. Priority 2 should be getting our wings to shoot better or find a wing who can shoot. 

i don't think you're wrong at all.  sounds like Lander coming back is far from a given.  RP has been far from reliable.  Leal and Galloway are not PGs.  if Franklin comes back, he could spot there a little i suppose.  

I just hope Coach Woodson does not overlook Galloway and Leal...Neither really stood out last year, but, like Woody himself, they WANT to be at IU. Just like Woody IU is THEIR school...I hope he sees how much wearing that Indiana uniform means to them...They didn't care who was named the coach, they were staying regardless...

While they have modest talent, they're the kinds of kids we need for leadership and cohesiveness...

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just hope Coach Woodson does not overlook Galloway and Leal...Neither really stood out last year, but, like Woody himself, they WANT to be at IU. Just like Woody IU is THEIR school...I hope he sees how much wearing that Indiana uniform means to them...They didn't care who was named the coach, they were staying regardless...

While they have modest talent, they're the kinds of kids we need for leadership and cohesiveness...

I agree.  Every team has guys that can contribute without being starters.  IU has always had guys like that on the roster and they've usually been guys that want to be there and work hard.  I can see AL & TG fitting that mold.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

definitely the kind of kids you love and need.  role players, but that's okay.  Leal gives a shooter off the bench that needs a role as a guy you're trying to get shots for and Galloway needs to be an energy guy.  if used correctly, both are nice 4 year role players.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purpose16 said:

I don't think you're wrong that there would be a scenario Geronimo develops and starts over Hunter, but it seems really unlikely that he is on the team next year. 

10 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Leal was grossly underutilized by Archie.  And Galloway was used incorrectly (or allowed too much freedom).  

• Like 4

If Galloway can get with a shot doctor and can get to being even a 35% three point shooter (meaning credible) as a next step of improvement, he can be a solid rotational player.  He can make plays, he’s invested, he plays hard, etc. Right now the lack of shooting is the weak link in his game.  He’s got some fight in him and he’s got good length and solid mobility.  He has potential to defend with his length and ability to move.

Leal just needs to hit that shot at game speed, and get his release faster without giving up accuracy.  The other big thing with him is learning positioning on D and using his strength to compensate for foot speed on D.

I think both have the ability to come off the bench and contribute.  

I really like Geronimo.  Watching the tourney, he especially has the type of skill set that’s thriving.  I hope the new staff sees quickly enough what a prospect we have in Geronimo and make him a priority.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 10:20 AM, KoB2011 said:

I don't think you're wrong that there would be a scenario Geronimo develops and starts over Hunter, but it seems really unlikely that he is on the team next year. 

Thank KoB ....appreicate your feedback.  Sadly, I think you may be correct re the return. 

Happy Easter ! 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2021 at 8:51 AM, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't think you're wrong at all.  sounds like Lander coming back is far from a given.  RP has been far from reliable.  Leal and Galloway are not PGs.  if Franklin comes back, he could spot there a little i suppose.  

The Duke senior who entered the portal might be a fit ...trying to recall his name.  Good defender, assist guy, not a strong shooter...as soon as I exit the post, I know his name will come to me.

So from what we have now:

PG-Phinissee

SG-Leal

SF-Stewart

PF-Hunter

C-Jackson-Davis

Galloway

Duncomb

My 1st priority - Lander at PG

#2 Franklin in Leal's spot

#3 Thompson in Hunter's spot (or Hunter slides to Stewart's spot)

#4 Brunk as a backup C

#5 Geronimo

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

So from what we have now:

PG-Phinissee

SG-Leal

SF-Stewart

PF-Hunter

C-Jackson-Davis

Galloway

Duncomb

My 1st priority - Lander at PG

#2 Franklin in Leal's spot

#3 Thompson in Hunter's spot (or Hunter slides to Stewart's spot)

#4 Brunk as a backup C

#5 Geronimo

Franklin has to be the #1 priority. Other than that... best player available at PG, stretch 4. 

I honestly don't know if Thompsin and TJD can play together.. with the way we want to play and it sure as heck won't be with RP on the court.. We've seem that wayyy too much the last two years. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Franklin has to be the #1 priority. Other than that... best player available at PG, stretch 4. 

I honestly don't know if Thompsin and TJD can play together.. with the way we want to play and it sure as heck won't be with RP on the court.. We've seem that wayyy too much the last two years. 

It seemed the guys TJD mentioned he was talking to were exclusively point guards...

I'm guessing it'll be like recruiting high school kids...once one commits, the rest stop getting calls...

But I do hope it's Khrisitan that pulls the trigger first as far as PGs go...

Just now, btownqb said:

Yeah, I struggle with who I care more about with Lander or Franklin.  Franklin is clearly better, but if RP is our starting PG?  That scares me.  I am holding out hope that Lander will be a totally different player next year.  I still think Race would be in our best 5.  I'd go Lander, Franklin, Hunter/Stewart, Thompson, Jackson-Davis

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Don't get me wrong - I am excited to see what Stewart brings, but with the talk of him helping our shooting, I hadn't looked to compare until now.  Franklin and Al both shot better % from 3 and he and Hunter are pretty much identical.  

Yep. If Franklin leaves then it becomes an even worse shooting team than last season. It won't remain that way (hopefully) because other players will be brought in. Plus, the new coaching staff probably won't ignore working on shooting like the previous one did. There are a few players I won't be disappointed if they leave but Franklin isn't one of those. I want the staff to assemble as as many players that can shoot as possible. From what Woodson has said and the players in the portal being contacted show that he wants that, too. 

Having Stewart already on the team helps mitigate the loss of Franklin a bit if he does leave but it would be much better to have both. They might be able to play together and if they can't it'll help to have a better bench.

• Like 1