Assistant Coaches??

So who do we think the assistants will be? Seems we have retained Hunter and Roberts at the moment am I correct? Do we keep them through next year...make changes? Just wandering about the staff as to me this is vital to our successful transition. For Woodson to succeed I fully believe he is going to need a ton of help in recruiting and in player development (an area I think we have fallen short on with Archie). 

• Like 1

Fife would be great.  His immediate knowledge of the B1G can be a huge help.  Has experience developing guards.  “Come on Dane you’re an IU guy, stop screwing around up there in E Lansing.  You have gotten all you could out of that dysfunctional place.”

I would love to keep Kenya.  Continuity to the prior staff would help with recruiting and knowledge of the existing players.  Has experience developing bigs.  

That gives Woody one spot for somebody he knows that can really help.  

Roberts might be good for that DOBO type role unless Woody and Matta have somebody else in mind.

During the search, I looked at lots of coaching staffs.  One thing I noticed is a lot of schools have extra spots for things like Director of Analytics.  Hopefully Woody is on that from the NBA and Matta is too.   Every shot in practice can be tracked to see how each kid does across various metrics.  For example, look at percentages at spots on the floor.  Look at catch and shoot versus off the bounce etc.  Going left, going right.  Get everybody in the right spots to optimize good shots.  Track the opponents and defense. Combinations. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Fife would be great.  His immediate knowledge of the B1G can be a huge help.  Has experience developing guards.  “Come on Dane you’re an IU guy, stop screwing around up there in E Lansing.  You have gotten all you could out of that dysfunctional place.”

I would love to keep Kenya.  Continuity to the prior staff would help with recruiting and knowledge of the existing players.  Has experience developing bigs.  

That gives Woody one spot for somebody he knows that can really help.  

Roberts might be good for that DOBO type role unless Woody and Matta have somebody else in mind.

During the search, I looked at lots of coaching staffs.  One thing I noticed is a lot of schools have extra spots for things like Director of Analytics.  Hopefully Woody is on that from the NBA and Matta is too.   Every shot in practice can be tracked to see how each kid does across various metrics.  For example, look at percentages at spots on the floor.  Look at catch and shoot versus off the bounce etc.  Going left, going right.  Get everybody in the right spots to optimize good shots.  Track the opponents and defense. Combinations. 

I was hoping he would hire an assistant coach that is big into analytics. If they can just make a new position and hire another person for that in addition to assistant coaches, that would be even better. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I was hoping he would hire an assistant coach that is big into analytics. If they can just make a new position and hire another person for that in addition to assistant coaches, that would be even better. 

This is just meant to be an example.  But it’s a young guy on the Arkansas staff who works on analytics. I saw others like this one when I was looking at different coaches.

https://arkansasrazorbacks.com/support-staff/hays-myers/

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IU247 said:

Larry Brown?? I mean the basketball IQ of this setup is through the roof but who is going to do the grunt work....who is getting out there and recruiting these kids. Who is getting dirty on the court and working one on one. This staff seems like Dolson just bought an ex nba GMs old Blackberry from the 90s in a garage sale and started calling the first names in it. Guess you just throw spaghetti and see what sticks.

Edited by dgambill
  • Haha 6

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Larry Brown?? I mean the basketball IQ of this setup is through the roof but who is going to do the grunt work....who is getting out there and recruiting these kids. Who is getting dirty on the court and working one on one. This staff seems like Dolson just bought an ex nba GMs old Blackberry from the 90s in a garage sale and started calling the first names in it. Guess you just throw spaghetti and see what sticks.

One of my mentors always said, when you are called to a meeting, grab someone younger to take with you, because whoever leaves a meeting with the lowest title will do all the work 

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Those two won't be a actually on the court coaching or go out recruiting.  Woodson was on Brown's staff in Detroit and won a championship

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Those two won't be a actually on the court coaching or go out recruiting.  Woodson was on Brown's staff in Detroit and won a championship

I mean might as well hire Beilein as well and rename Assembly Hall...Centrum Silver Stadium. If we want an 80 year old consultant why not just bring back Coach Knight??

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean might as well hire Beilein as well and rename Assembly Hall...Centrum Silver Stadium. If we want an 80 year old consultant why not just bring back Coach Knight??

We definitely need to keep Hunter for recruiting. These old guys while great for their knowledge aren't going to be out there grinding it out on the recruiting trail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

SMH why not wait to see who will actually be on the staff as the assistant coaches

SMH have a sense of humor...I mean no one in their right mind could guess this was coming and no one understands what the heck Dolson and Woodson are doing. I agree I’m waiting to see who are the assistant coaches...hoping someone that can relate with these kids makes the staff. I mean these guys children could be the recruits parents that is how old half this staff is. Are we at risk of being out of touch with today’s youth? Waiting to see who will do the heavy lifting because a bunch of old rich guys aren’t.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

We definitely need to keep Hunter for recruiting. These old guys while great for their knowledge aren't going to be out there grinding it out on the recruiting trail.

Yeah gotta wonder who is pulling those late night film sessions, scouting, and cross country recruiting trips. I mean will our guys even be awake for those 9 o’clock BTN tips?? 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1