Assistant Coaches??

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Yeah gotta wonder who is pulling those late night film sessions, scouting, and cross country recruiting trips. I mean will our guys even be awake for those 9 o’clock BTN tips?? 

Might have to work with the big ten to get only noon games lol.

Also before I get called out for being a horrible fan this is just joking around and having fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

SMH have a sense of humor...I mean no one in their right mind could guess this was coming and no one understands what the heck Dolson and Woodson are doing. I agree I’m waiting to see who are the assistant coaches...hoping someone that can relate with these kids makes the staff. I mean these guys children could be the recruits parents that is how old half this staff is. Are we at risk of being out of touch with today’s youth? Waiting to see who will do the heavy lifting because a bunch of old rich guys aren’t.

Just saying neither Matta or Brown will be dealing with the players that much.

53 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying neither Matta or Brown will be dealing with the players that much.

I really want this to work out. I am just being honest here. I really really don’t get it. What their role is suppose to be and why we even need them. I mean I want to pretend to be the smart guy in the room and pretend I know exactly why this is all necessary and why it all makes sense but honestly I’ve never seen anything like this. To me a home run hire doesn’t need hand holding and a staff of HOF coaches to guide him and make up for what he lacks. Maybe this will be the new way things work...maybe it’s innovative...like to say I get it but I don’t. Heck I don’t even know if Woodson is a long term solution past his first contract. I’m going to root for success and root for my team but I’m more than a little concerned.

I really want this to work out. I am just being honest here. I really really don’t get it. What their role is suppose to be and why we even need them. I mean I want to pretend to be the smart guy in the room and pretend I know exactly why this is all necessary and why it all makes sense but honestly I’ve never seen anything like this. To me a home run hire doesn’t need hand holding and a staff of HOF coaches to guide him and make up for what he lacks. Maybe this will be the new way things work...maybe it’s innovative...like to say I get it but I don’t. Heck I don’t even know if Woodson is a long term solution past his first contract. I’m going to root for success and root for my team but I’m more than a little concerned.

Who said it is a home run hire.  The more sets of eyes and brain trust the better.  They will probably will be in all the coaches meetings and watching film.  They will help come up with game plans on each team.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Matta was hired to help navigate the college aspect . Brown would be there by Woodson’s desire, he’s obviously someone Woodson respects and values. Surrounding yourself with smart people is always good. What’s to understand? 

• Like 3

I’m all for Larry Brown joining if everyone has defined tasks.  Larry could be the Shooter type of in house genius who can help figure out strategy.  But Matta then would be in more of a “front office” role, where he would know all the rules.  Maybe organize things and get recruiting coordinated.

Mike and Larry could work together on installing the systems and developing the strategy.  Thad may need to stay out of the niceties of that front so we don’t have too many cooks in the kitchen. 

Regarding Larry, it’s ironic because I said for years that Crean and Archie needed an X’s and O’s expert on staff. Woody presumably needs that the least and is still smart enough to bring in Brown.  As long as we are well organized and have defined roles, these guys can all co-exist IMO. 

We will need some good hard working assistants.  Can’t just be a bunch of conductors without an orchestra.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

19 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is 'Lady Years' similar to 'Dog Years"?  :coffee:

It's going to be interesting. Could it be IU is changing the game?

What's important to the players? Getting to the NBA. Maybe IU is building a separate supporting staff focused on player prep and gathering feedback from those in the know with the NBA.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Dale Davis as a "big man coordinator".

Whatever works. Flip the script on the rest of college basketball.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who said it is a home run hire.  The more sets of eyes and brain trust the better.  They will probably will be in all the coaches meetings and watching film.  They will help come up with game plans on each team.

You think so? I’ve never heard of an assistant AD watching game film.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, WRSMick55 said:

Matta was hired to help navigate the college aspect . Brown would be there by Woodson’s desire, he’s obviously someone Woodson respects and values. Surrounding yourself with smart people is always good. What’s to understand? 

What their role will be. Day to day operations. Like I said we should have the greatest wealth of basketball knowledge ever assembled but how does it actually get from their old brains to these kids young bodies. At the end of the day who works one on one and who goes out selling their vision to these young kids. I’m waiting to see the whole plan and see it in action but I have my doubts about the execution of this plan. If we need all this hand holding it makes me wonder if he is the right guy. That’s all. My biggest fear isn’t these guys knowing the game. It’s these guys convincing kids to come play for them. Who is going to sell IU basketball to these kids. I mean I love Mike and what he has done at IU but I have to wonder how much these kids will relate.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

His job is just about men's basketball

Forgive my ignorance but I’ve never heard of such a position. Let me know when you get his job description and his duties. I’d love to know what it actually entails. I very much doubt these guys if they aren’t on the bench are going to be breaking down game film, flying to seeing recruits, or having much to do at all with mentoring our kids. If it’s just about making sure Mike doesn’t break some recruiting rules or needs to know who the AAU and high school coaches are then hire some compliance officers and a good recruiting assistant and be done with it. To me this says we know you have reservations about Mike doing the job guys....so I’m going to add some big name guys as basketball consultants to quell your fears so I can sell you guys on the hire. That’s what it says to me.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah gotta wonder who is pulling those late night film sessions, scouting, and cross country recruiting trips. I mean will our guys even be awake for those 9 o’clock BTN tips?? 

This made me chuckle , I’m nearing 50 and have a hard time making it thru a 9pm game, admittedly watching Archie’s teams would put a crackhead to sleep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Forgive my ignorance but I’ve never heard of such a position. Let me know when you get his job description and his duties. I’d love to know what it actually entails. I very much doubt these guys if they aren’t on the bench are going to be breaking down game film, flying to seeing recruits, or having much to do at all with mentoring our kids. If it’s just about making sure Mike doesn’t break some recruiting rules or needs to know who the AAU and high school coaches are then hire some compliance officers and a good recruiting assistant and be done with it. To me this says we know you have reservations about Mike doing the job guys....so I’m going to add some big name guys as basketball consultants to quell your fears so I can sell you guys on the hire. That’s what it says to me.

Because it is a new position they just created for Thad and probably using some of that money from the donor to create this position.  It allows them to have Thad on the staff without taking one of the assistant positions.  I have no idea why anyone would be freaking out over something like this because it is a good thing.  Also neither would be involved with recruiting at all or be going on the road to recruit.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also another aspect because CMW is 63 he won't be here forever. So that means if we recreate our brand and bring back IU basketball we will need to hire from within. That means an assistant that is most likely an IU guy. Now what better way to train the next coach than to have not 1 not 2 but 3 former head coaches, one now head coach of IU, training you. That wisdom that you can gain from 3 head coaches is beyond fathomable. Also all 3 head coaches have extremely impressive resumes and no slouches. Just another viewpoint.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because it is a new position they just created for Thad and probably using some of that money from the donor to create this position.  It allows them to have Thad on the staff without taking one of the assistant positions.  I have no idea why anyone would be freaking out over something like this because it is a good thing.  Also neither would be involved with recruiting at all or be going on the road to recruit.

Whose freaking out. Said it’s weird and I don’t understand the need for it other than to “sell” the hire to the fans. I don’t see other college coaches needing all these “special” assistants and creating new positions to do the job. I hope it works...maybe this will be the new fad in basketball. As of right now it looks like a lot of window treatment. Guess I’ll learn more later how it is suppose to make things better. I’m very interested to see how Mike recruits. That’s my biggest worry. Crossing my fingers.

• Haha 1

Whose freaking out. Said it’s weird and I don’t understand the need for it other than to “sell” the hire to the fans. I don’t see other college coaches needing all these “special” assistants and creating new positions to do the job. I hope it works...maybe this will be the new fad in basketball. As of right now it looks like a lot of window treatment. Guess I’ll learn more later how it is suppose to make things better. I’m very interested to see how Mike recruits. That’s my biggest worry. Crossing my fingers.

I gave you an example with the all time best college football coach of all time doing it.  Alabama has brought in a lot of former HC as consultants which is made up positions.  The more basketball minds you have to your disposal the better it is.  In the NBA they have like 5 to 6 coaches who are on the bench every game.