Assistant Coaches??

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because it is a new position they just created for Thad and probably using some of that money from the donor to create this position.  It allows them to have Thad on the staff without taking one of the assistant positions.  I have no idea why anyone would be freaking out over something like this because it is a good thing.  Also neither would be involved with recruiting at all or be going on the road to recruit.

This is not true.

Bill Comar held this same position under Archie. 

https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/bill-comar/2771

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, madmax said:

This is not true.

This is just 4 aAabama support staff and their titles and this does not include assistant coaches

2021 Football Support Staff

Staff Directory Members By Category/Department
NAME TITLE PHONE EMAIL ADDRESS
Ellis Ponder Associate Athletics Director, Football Chief Operating Officer 205-348-3600  
Todd Watson Special Assistant to Head Coach 205-348-3600  
David Ballou Director of Sports Performance 205-348-3600  
Matt Rhea Director of Sports Science 205-348-3600

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I gave you an example with the all time best college football coach of all time doing it.  Alabama has brought in a lot of former HC as consultants which is made up positions.  The more basketball minds you have to your disposal the better it is.  In the NBA they have like 5 to 6 coaches who are on the bench every game.

Ok...we are just talking in circles. You just said these guys won’t have contact with players, won’t be on the bench, won’t be recruiting...this is nothing like Alabama where they hire ex head coaches to be an OC, DC or position coach to rebrand themselves. Also football has like 100 kids to work with. I understand it’s nice to bounce ideas off guys but I just don’t think these guys will serve much purpose at all if they are sitting behind a desk in the ADs office. Anyways we will see how it turns out. Hope Mike great success because I’m sick of losing...first test will be the recruiting arena.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ok...we are just talking in circles. You just said these guys won’t have contact with players, won’t be on the bench, won’t be recruiting...this is nothing like Alabama where they hire ex head coaches to be an OC, DC or position coach to rebrand themselves. Also football has like 100 kids to work with. I understand it’s nice to bounce ideas off guys but I just don’t think these guys will serve much purpose at all if they are sitting behind a desk in the ADs office. Anyways we will see how it turns out. Hope Mike great success because I’m sick of losing...first test will be the recruiting arena.

Guarantee they will be in every coaches meeting and film session and helping with game plans.  Thad will probably be working on the schedule with Dolson.  I would think he will help get visits set up and be in contact with High school and AAU coaches to set up meetings for the coach.  He just can't go on the road to watch players in AAAU or high school.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bill Comar, who served in the same role under Archie, sat on the bench during games. Your point stands-who knows what all he can or can’t do, or whether or not Matta will sit with the coaches, but Comar was right there. Shown here to the left of the assistants.

6D84CA9A-21FA-4926-AC35-6F6B740945C0.jpeg

Edited by madmax
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guarantee they will be in every coaches meeting and film session and helping with game plans.  Thad will probably be working on the schedule with Dolson.  I would think he will help get visits set up and be in contact with High school and AAU coaches to set up meetings for the coach.  He just can't go on the road to watch players in AAAU or high school.

The head coach makes the schedule not the AD.

20 minutes ago, madmax said:

This is not true.

Who?  Googled him to make sure I wasn't an idiot.  

Nope. 

Thad Matta I know.  Thad Matta, exponential upgrade.  No explanation or further discussion required.  

16 minutes ago, madmax said:

Bill Comar, who served in the same role under Archie, sat on the bench during games. Your point stands-who knows what all he can or can’t do, or whether or not Matta will sit with the coaches, but Comar was right there. Shown here to the left of the assistants.

Edited by Indykev

21 minutes ago, madmax said:

Same title i just dont see Thad Mata filling the same roll as to what Comar did. I cant see him messing with housing and setting up summer camps,

23 minutes ago, madmax said:

Uh I'm sure Bill is a great guy and very knowledgeable.  He is not Thad Matta. Who is one of the B1G's most successful  modern coaches and program builder extraordinaire.  Not sure why folks cannot open their minds to see the potential for a total reset at IU and perhaps of college bball.  If this combo clicks, it will be the new wave in college basketball.  Until it isn't... I 'll  choose to imagine the best outcomes.  Thanks for pointing out Bill C.  This should be different.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I like having Matta on board, but I’m concerned about the fact he and Coach Woodson have no prior relationship. Coach will bring his own assistant(s) in and may be more comfortable collaborating with his guy(s) rather than Matta. If Matta feels like the odd man out that relationship could sour quickly. 

15 minutes ago, NEOH Hoosier said:

I like having Matta on board, but I’m concerned about the fact he and Coach Woodson have no prior relationship. Coach will bring his own assistant(s) in and may be more comfortable collaborating with his guy(s) rather than Matta. If Matta feels like the odd man out that relationship could sour quickly. 

I agree.  Hitting the potential of this situation 100% depends on the collaboration.  If they get it right every big program will install a CEO.  We have Mike Woodson and Thad Matta.  Lets GO.  HOO HOO HOO...

• Like 1

Honestly, it feels like IU is mimicking the (thus far) highly successful Michigan basketball model.  The only real difference I see is (1) Howard is younger and (2) Woodson is more experienced as a coach.  Beyond that, it appears IU is attempting to fill in Woodson's perceived weaknesses with highly qualifies assistants and support people, much like Michigan did.  How much of that is the A.D. vs Howard or Woodson making the call here is up for debate. 

No, it's not an identical road map, but it looks fairly similar from my outsider view.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, madmax said:

Thank you very much. Hey I'm not trying to be a pessimist. I admit my lack of knowledge of what an Assistant Basketball AD or whatever he is called I have never heard of (and if I have never heard of the position then how much influence to the on the court product do they have)...nor know what the heck they do. I imagined it was just like the bio said it was someone who ran the logistics of the operation behind the scene. I did not know they were on the bench with the coach and traveling to games. Honestly, I still don't know what this guy is allowed to do or how much they contribute to the actual coaching side of things. I'm not a sky is falling guy. I'm optimistic about Mike as our coach. Concerned about his ability to recruit but not worried he won't know what to do with the kids. My whole thing with Matta is that from everything I've heard he wasn't coaching because of his health. I assumed traveling with the team and being on the sidelines would be out of the question. I also doubted an 80 year old Brown would do the same. I just figured these guys would be kind of like in office consultants to Mike...but how much they could effect on the court coaching and practices I was pretty darn skeptical about. To me it was window dressing to make the hire seem more legitimate to the fans that we are putting together this team of coaches as opposed to this just being Mike Woodson's job. I'm still not 100% sure how this all works and if it will but I am open minded to hearing about it. Until I understand what everyone is really doing and how they will contribute to the end process...I'm not 100% I follow it. Hard for me to have 100% confidence in something I am not sure how it is being set up to work. That is it. Still a fan...still want us to win...just have concerns because perhaps my ignorance of how all this fits together. I 100% behind the team though. Look forward to seeing who sits the bench with Mike and him landing his first recruit.

Edited by dgambill

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Honestly, it feels like IU is mimicking the (thus far) highly successful Michigan basketball model.  The only real difference I see is (1) Howard is younger and (2) Woodson is more experienced as a coach.  Beyond that, it appears IU is attempting to fill in Woodson's perceived weaknesses with highly qualifies assistants and support people, much like Michigan did.  How much of that is the A.D. vs Howard or Woodson making the call here is up for debate. 

No, it's not an identical road map, but it looks fairly similar from my outsider view.

Too bad we don't have their roster...  :coffee: