Assistant Coaches??

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone know anything about the KT Turner assistant scuttle? Just wondering because I think it would be a huge get.

Interesting.  Where did you hear this?  What’s the intel on him?

Honestly, having someone with connections to Texas is not a bad idea.  Huge state and they crank out talent.  Look at all the guys Kentucky has been getting out of Texas.  Not to mention UT, Houston, Baylor and Tech getting stocked there.  We can get guys with length and quickness like Woody wants.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Link

I posted a quote from this Atlanta Constitution writer yesterday...

Interesting reading...Everyone has their enemies... 

Interesting read. Seems a bit petty at times, but the part about not adjusting to remove the double teams of Howard is a bit concerning. Hopefully (and I would think) CMW has learned from that and is more open to input and adjustments.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Interesting read. Seems a bit petty at times, but the part about not adjusting to remove the double teams of Howard is a bit concerning. Hopefully (and I would think) CMW has learned from that and is more open to input and adjustments.

Let's hope part of Matta's role is addressing things like that if they come up.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That writer seems like a jerk....a real Jeff Goldman if you want. Clearly Woodson got under cut by his assistant in Atlanta....goes to show the NBA is shark infested water. Good luck to Brad Stevens....it's tough to survive in that environment. I kinda think he missed out on a golden opportunity.

It does seem like the "writer" had his feelings hurt or at least a grudge. Someone pointed out recently there are few real journalists left today. It's all content creators and opinion pieces. In other words, let me say something to get people to click on the articles. This guy is trying to have a hair pulling fight and does seem very petty. I don't suggest clicking his article and rewarding lazy work that brings nothing to the table.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Interesting.  Where did you hear this?  What’s the intel on him?

Honestly, having someone with connections to Texas is not a bad idea.  Huge state and they crank out talent.  Look at all the guys Kentucky has been getting out of Texas.  Not to mention UT, Houston, Baylor and Tech getting stocked there.  We can get guys with length and quickness like Woody wants.  

Yep...others mentioned he is on the list. I guess he worked with Larry Brown at SMU and most recently an assistant under Shaka at UT. We've seen the talent they've had at both those locations while he has been there. Not sure what part he played in recruiting them but man you can't say UT didn't have great talent past few years....look at the pros they've turned out!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep...others mentioned he is on the list. I guess he worked with Larry Brown at SMU and most recently an assistant under Shaka at UT. We've seen the talent they've had at both those locations while he has been there. Not sure what part he played in recruiting them but man you can't say UT didn't have great talent past few years....look at the pros they've turned out!

He just came on to Texas's staff in September, so probably didn't have anything to do with the talent on this year's team. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

He just came on to Texas's staff in September, so probably didn't have anything to do with the talent on this year's team. 

Thanks...I didn't realize how long he was at SMU. He did land Shake Milton (NBA talent). Also looks like the Tyson Jolly kid out of Junior College was a good get. Anyways very curious if anyone else has good info on him. Always like to know who we are looking at.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Thanks.  If Larry is talking to Mike then obviously this connection makes sense.  My hunch is if Larry is recommending him he must be really good.  I do recall them getting Shake Milton who was a nice success story from SMU (Crean also recruited him; Crean had a good eye for the most part). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Thanks...I didn't realize how long he was at SMU. He did land Shake Milton (NBA talent). Also looks like the Tyson Jolly kid out of Junior College was a good get. Anyways very curious if anyone else has good info on him. Always like to know who we are looking at.

I noticed some JC history too on his resume.  It never hurts.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks.  If Larry is talking to Mike then obviously this connection makes sense.  My hunch is if Larry is recommending him he must be really good.  I do recall them getting Shake Milton who was a nice success story from SMU (Crean also recruited him; Crean had a good eye for the most part). 

Yeah he was mentioned directly with landing him. Also SMU had Sterling Brown and Semi Ojeleye go pro so he could have influenced them or helped in their development. Seems like a good hire.

• Like 1

If KT is hired I'm liking the direction the staff is taking. East coast guy (Kenya), Matta to help us at home, Turner on the midwest/Texas side....shaping up really well. One thing that should be mentioned. We all know the lack of African American Head Coaches in the B1G.....now we could have two strong black assistant coaches too possibly. Love the idea of good strong black role models for our players and should speak well to their respective families.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, we definitely need that pipeline. Even with the transfer portal, most coaches who've rebuilt programs quickly have added JUCO players

I just want HUNGRY assistants. Guys that want to get out and pound the pavement...turn over every stone...work their BUTTS off! Guys with passion and smarts. Guys that want to be promoted to HC. Not fat cats that want to draw a big salary at a big name university and let the name recognition do all the work.

• Like 2