Assistant Coaches??

18 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What's the thinking on Lewis?  Is it a foregone conclusion that he has a good chance of being the lead assistant once UCLA loses?

I'm hoping that's why we aren't seeing an announcement. That said, does he having any head coaching prospects in the pipeline or am I over-valuing his worth because I'm a biased IU fan? We may need to give him a salary bump after his last few weeks. 

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Do we need to make an official announcement on Hunter? or is it just like.. "he's with us, duh" type thing? I really want to keep him. 

If you keep Hunter I could see him maybe keeping Mike Roberts being a IU guy in some role. Maybe taking a step back into Dir. of BB ops. but just a maybe. If Mike would even want to.

26 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

What's the thinking on Lewis?  Is it a foregone conclusion that he has a good chance of being the lead assistant once UCLA loses?

With this run UCLA is on someone will give Mike a shot as head coach. he is getting a lot of credit for game planning .

4 hours ago, cybergates said:

Interesting read. Seems a bit petty at times, but the part about not adjusting to remove the double teams of Howard is a bit concerning. Hopefully (and I would think) CMW has learned from that and is more open to input and adjustments.

That pretty well sums up my thoughts from reading that article. 

The author does say at the end that he's a "pretty fair coach" but most of the time seemed to have a grudge.

From what Woodson has said so far it seems like he's more open to input and I hope he is. Part of the reason I got over the disappointment of this hire was that with hiring Matta and the possibility Brown it looked like we might have a coach that would check his ego at the door and turn to others for advise to help him win. This article has me doubting that but that was also over a decade ago and his first HC job so maybe he has learned and adjusted his approach in that time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

That pretty well sums up my thoughts from reading that article. 

The author does say at the end that he's a "pretty fair coach" but most of the time seemed to have a grudge.

From what Woodson has said so far it seems like he's more open to input and I hope he is. Part of the reason I got over the disappointment of this hire was that with hiring Matta and the possibility Brown it looked like we might have a coach that would check his ego at the door and turn to others for advise to help him win. This article has me doubting that but that was also over a decade ago and his first HC job so maybe he has learned and adjusted his approach in that time.

At the press conference, Woody said his ego was in check and that he's always listened to great basketball minds, specifically describing Matta in that way. Will take him at his word until he proves otherwise.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I'm hoping that's why we aren't seeing an announcement. That said, does he having any head coaching prospects in the pipeline or am I over-valuing his worth because I'm a biased IU fan? We may need to give him a salary bump after his last few weeks. 

It would be great to have Lewis on the bench.  But if Lewis wants to be a HC, he needs to go get an HC job.  I just don't think the "coach in waiting" is a good idea for multiple reasons.  Keith Smart asked CRMK whether he should take the Fort Wayne job as a head coach or go back to IU as an assistant.  Coach Knight asked me what his goal was and Smart said to become an HC.  Knight said the best way to learn how to be a HC is to be a HC.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, slojoe said:

It would be great to have Lewis on the bench.  But if Lewis wants to be a HC, he needs to go get an HC job.  I just don't think the "coach in waiting" is a good idea for multiple reasons.  Keith Smart asked CRMK whether he should take the Fort Wayne job as a head coach or go back to IU as an assistant.  Coach Knight asked me what his goal was and Smart said to become an HC.  Knight said the best way to learn how to be a HC is to be a HC.

Agree 1000%. Go prove yourself...I'd much rather hire a guy who has been HC at lower level with experience and success then hire an AC from a major conference with no track record. The only positive I would see from Fife is his vast experience recruiting B1G athletes and his vast knowledge of opponent strategy and game planning. But for him...he needs to go coach....take a job like a successful mid major school with tradition and resources and excel at it.

I like the idea of bringing Isaiah Thomas on board as an assistant coach. He has connections throughout the Midwest and grew up in Chicago. He still connects well with players, including the younger generation. He carries a marquee name and has one at the highest levels. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, DLC said:

I like the idea of bringing Isaiah Thomas on board as an assistant coach. He has connections throughout the Midwest and grew up in Chicago. He still connects well with players, including the younger generation. He carries a marquee name and has one at the highest levels. 

Welcome to the board and I like your 1st post!!!

11 minutes ago, DLC said:

Best Jon Stewart Awkward GIFs | Gfycat

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, DLC said:

No thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DLC said:

I like Zeke but no thank you on bringing him on board. 

4 hours ago, Reacher said:

What are the odds we take Mike Lewis and Tim Buckley from UCLA?  Buckley could wind up a hero by improving our shooting next year. 

I don't know what the chances are, but I've seen both mentioned in different places as possible new IU assistants (or perhaps in the case of Buckley a recycled one!).