Assistant Coaches??

17 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d like to see a white coach to go along with Woodson and Hunter. Mix things up a little bit. I am partial to Fife and Lewis, who I would put in-front of Jamal because of their resumes .

Race should not matter and the coach should identify individuals that complement and challenge him. What is the race of Thad Matta? He has more power and influence than any assistant coach.

• Like 5

I don't think it'll be Meeks...

"The job opening came when a Butler assistant coach, Jamal Meeks, was arrested for soliciting a prostitute and drug possession while on a recruiting trip. Meeks resigned, although two charges against him were dropped and he was later acquitted of a third. But that twist of fate started Stevens on his road to the Final Four."

Acquitted, but there had to have been something going on for him to get arrested...

4 hours ago, DLC said:

Race should not matter and the coach should identify individuals that complement and challenge him. What is the race of Thad Matta? He has more power and influence than any assistant coach.

Thad Matta isn’t on the bench, or recruiting. It would be nice to be diversified for all players on the current team , or to whom would like to join down the road. Just like normally if you see a white head coach, you normally see a black coach as an assistant. It’s no difference.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Does having a white guy make winning more enjoyable? I just want a great product on the floor. I don’t get it? Please help me understand why we have to have a certain pigment to be successful. We have watched poor basketball for so long that I just want to watch good basketball. 

• Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

Does having a white guy make winning more enjoyable? I just want a great product on the floor. I don’t get it? Please help me understand why we have to have a certain pigment to be successful. We have watched poor basketball for so long that I just want to watch good basketball. 

don't care about color or being an IU guy.  i just want the best coach.  is that Woodson?  

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d like to see a white coach to go along with Woodson and Hunter. Mix things up a little bit. I am partial to Fife and Lewis, who I would put in-front of Jamal because of their resumes .

39 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

Thad Matta isn’t on the bench, or recruiting. It would be nice to be diversified for all players on the current team , or to whom would like to join down the road. Just like normally if you see a white head coach, you normally see a black coach as an assistant. It’s no difference.

This is just pretty dumb. Players white and black etc. can relate to coaches regardless of their skin color. Not being PC, just being real. 

• Like 4

Whoever did it, leave it be.

This is not about race. This is not a social issue.

This is about who is the right head coach, and who are the right supporting staff, to bring IU basketball back to prominence. I can’t speak for players, but I bet if they were polled, they would care less what their coach looks like, and would most focus on what they bring to the table, and how they can help get players to the next level.

• Like 5

I was just told Dane Fife will be added to the staff. Trying to work out contract language on him being the next head coach when Woodson is done. This came from no one I have gotten info from before but I wanted to share. Izzo could retire tomorrow. not sure this makes since.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was just told Dane Fife will be added to the staff. Trying to work out contract language on him being the next head coach when Woodson is done. This came from no one I have gotten info from before but I wanted to share. Izzo could retire tomorrow. not sure this makes since.

Would love to see this happen, it’s hard to believe this would happen. 

7 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I was under the impression Fifes status as the coach in waiting is a bit overstated. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I don't think it'll be Meeks...

"The job opening came when a Butler assistant coach, Jamal Meeks, was arrested for soliciting a prostitute and drug possession while on a recruiting trip. Meeks resigned, although two charges against him were dropped and he was later acquitted of a third. But that twist of fate started Stevens on his road to the Final Four."

Acquitted, but there had to have been something going on for him to get arrested...

Hard pass.  Might be able to get a gig at Iona though..

Edited by ThePaulieWalnuts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Indykev said:

Thanks for info. Dwayne Stephens is the assistant at MSU who is supposedly next in line for that job once Izzo hangs it up.

One thing that I think works about the hiring of Coach Woodson is that it covers the last bit of time that it will take for the next generation of coaching possibilities to prove themselves before being a candidate for the IU job. I think that Lewis and Fife could both be great candidates in the next round, maybe 6 or 8 years down the line. Maybe in 6 to 8 years with Cheaney's children grown a bit more he will feel better about committing the time necessary to coach at the college level. Even guys like Josh Pasternak (I know his name came up in the FBI probe) will have had a chance to move up a level and prove themselves. Heck, maybe Kory Barnett will be a head coach by then...

I think that Lewis and Fife would be amazing additions to our staff, but if they want to take over at a place where they are the head coach to prepare for the IU opportunity down the road I could understand 

I think the timing of getting some momentum back and then having obvious candidates to take over works quite well.

10 hours ago, Indykev said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't mind having a plan in place at all....but let's assume ( I know) Woodson is coaching for another 6-7 years minimally. Would any coach let alone Fife stick around that long? Honestly I would never want IU to commit to an absolute on the next coach that many years out. 

I want Fife back but not if that means we are guaranteeing the gig to him down the road.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't mind having a plan in place at all....but let's assume ( I know) Woodson is coaching for another 6-7 years minimally. Would any coach let alone Fife stick around that long? Honestly I would never want IU to commit to an absolute on the next coach that many years out. 

I want Fife back but not if that means we are guaranteeing the gig to him down the road.

Agree 100%.  It’s plausible he could be next coach but committing to it now would be insane.  There are unknowns and changing circumstances between now and then. That makes a future  promise like that untenable. I suppose one thing you could do is pay him if he’s not named head coach upon Mike Woodson’s permanent separation, but I’d make that payout very manageable. Maybe a couple of million max.  That would show him he’d be strongly considered but that’s the best I’d do.  

• Like 2