Assistant Coaches??

18 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Correct. Also the new Coach may or may not be bringing someone with him to play. Would not be shocked to see a new commitment before the new Coach announced 

I think it's possible if not likely that we have this guy locked up but won't officially hire him for a while. He is now able to talk with recruits freely but once hired that comes to a screeching halt. It is quite an advantage to be able to have personal contact in a pandemic recruiting environment where visitation on and off campus is prohibited. 

Edited by eddy4iu
  • Like 4

38 minutes ago, eddy4iu said:

I think it's possible if not likely that we have this guy locked up but won't officially hire him for a while. He is now able to talk with recruits freely but once hired that comes to a screeching halt. It is quite an advantage to be able to have personal contact in a pandemic recruiting environment where visitation on and off campus are prohibited. 

Mentioned this a dozen or so pages back and if this is what's going on I have zero issue with it. 

• Like 2

Sorry if I’m missing the code....or not connecting the dots.

Speculation is that if we hire Yasir then he may possibly try to convince Jabari Smith from de-committing from Auburn and commit to us? 

Or is it another player he may bring?

Is this actual chatter or a ‘hypothetical that’d be really cool, but not realistic’?

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Sorry if I’m missing the code....or not connecting the dots.

Speculation is that if we hire Yasir then he may possibly try to convince Jabari Smith from de-committing from Auburn and commit to us? 

Or is it another player he may bring?

Is this actual chatter or a ‘hypothetical that’d be really cool, but not realistic’?

The whole thing sounds sleazy as hell to me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

All is fair in love and war....and recruiting? 

Same thing happened with Eric Gordon. 

You’re supposed to be pumping sunshine not rain clouds @FKIM01!  😎

LOL...I hear ya...and I don't mind a little creative stretching but this candidate has a lot of smoke around him...appeared willing to sell his influence to steer players to certain companies or agents but simply didn't have enough goods to interest the 3rd parties in paying him.  His quotes sound like they are straight from the hood and his only apparent saving grace is being related to a talented player already committed to another school?

No thanks.  This one just makes my skin crawl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Indykev said:

The longer this goes it feels like CMW is waiting for the NBA season to end. Or he's waiting on Larry Brown.

Or maybe Larry is waiting on Woody.

https://www.wdrb.com/sports/bozich-larry-brown-explains-why-mike-woodson-is-right-coach-for-indiana---/article_4198e4c4-97bb-11eb-991b-4ffe5a6273ff.html?fbclid=IwAR2bQBP-E3g4be-B8sf74eCW45bxyzVzgcR5pGoulp5Bli75X2a0F5i2FNA

QUESTION: One final question. Adrian Wojnarnowski of ESPN tweeted that Woodson talked to you about a possible role on the Indiana staff.

Is that something you and Mike have discussed? Is it a move you’re considering?

BROWN: “Let Woody talk to you about that. I’m good. I’m a phone call away. I’ll probably be in Bloomington as much as Terri will be there.

“I’m all right where I am. I'm just thrilled that he’s going to be here. We’re always going to be on the phone talking about things. Any way I can help, all my guys, I just love sharing what I was taught.”

Edited by tdhoosier

Sounds like he doesn't even need to really hire Larry Brown... sounds like he'd be there like a free consultant to bounce ideas off of whenever he wants.  

I'll admit to being skeptical/disappointed when Woodson was hired but wow he was really impressed me.  I can't wait to see how all of this plays out next season!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

The whole thing sounds sleazy as hell to me.

If I'm guessing, which I am, one of Coach's connections told him this is a guy that will help the program.  Doing a little research, he seems like a player development guru, who has a dynamic personality, and can recruit.  Now, if his nephew wants to be around him - how is that sleazy?  

And, I'm pretty sure there is enough talent on the roster and in the portal to compete next year.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

Sounds like he doesn't even need to really hire Larry Brown... sounds like he'd be there like a free consultant to bounce ideas off of whenever he wants.  

I'll admit to being skeptical/disappointed when Woodson was hired but wow he was really impressed me.  I can't wait to see how all of this plays out next season!

It is clearly obvious......Coach Woodson is very well respected from AAU to the NBA. That’s special.

On 4/9/2021 at 2:23 PM, IUFLA said:

Link

From an ESPN article...A little disturbed at some of the things Rosemond allegedly said...

Among the other coaches whom Blazer said he, Dawkins and the undercover FBI agent met with in Las Vegas were Yasir Rosemond (Alabama), Anthony Coleman (Arizona State), Amir Abdur-Rahim (Texas A&M and now Kennesaw State's head coach) and Raphael Chillious (UConn).

Blazer testified that Dawkins didn't pay, or set up payments, to those coaches because they "just didn't have any good players at that time." The video recordings and testimony from Blazer included discussions about Dawkins providing resources in exchange for access with those coaches.

"If something needs to be done, we can be of assistance," Dawkins said to Chillious. "... You have the resources and ammunition if you need it."

Dawkins made similar comments to Rosemond: "You're recruiting a kid that needs some s---, you know, we can facilitate." Rosemond replied he would introduce them to his recruits, telling Dawkins, "Whatever you need me to do, I'll do it. I ain't got no dog in the fight. One day be a head coach."

8 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

If I'm guessing, which I am, one of Coach's connections told him this is a guy that will help the program.  Doing a little research, he seems like a player development guru, who has a dynamic personality, and can recruit.  Now, if his nephew wants to be around him - how is that sleazy?  

And, I'm pretty sure there is enough talent on the roster and in the portal to compete next year.

See above.  Had he had sufficient pull with talent the agents wanted, he would have gotten stung in the 2017 FBI investigation.  It's not that he didn't want to be crooked...he simply didn't have the goods at the time.

I'm simply not interested.  Hope Woodson agrees with me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

The longer this goes it feels like CMW is waiting for the NBA season to end. Or he's waiting on Larry Brown.

From a recent interview with Larry Brown it sounds like he won't work for IU in any capacity. It also sounded like he will be around (as in Bloomington hanging out with Woodson and the team) a lot and is open to Woodson calling him for help.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

See above.  Had he had sufficient pull with talent the agents wanted, he would have gotten stung in the 2017 FBI investigation.  It's not that he didn't want to be crooked...he simply didn't have the goods at the time.

I'm simply not interested.  Hope Woodson agrees with me.

Many times an assistant is a product of their environment and direction of their head coach.  Assistants sometimes take the blame.  Now, Norm Ellenberger was a pretty good assistant for Coach Knight and I'm sure he was different at IU than before.  Just one example.  

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

His quotes sound like they are straight from the hood and his only apparent saving grace is being related to a talented player already committed to another school?

No thanks.  This one just makes my skin crawl.

If you have never lived in the hood, or even visited the hood, don't judge those who have. Give people a chance to learn!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Now, Norm Ellenberger was a pretty good assistant for Coach Knight and I'm sure he was different at IU than before.  Just one example.

The fact that coach Knight let him be part of the program should tell us all we need to know. Knight was notoriously hard on rule breakers.

14 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

If you have never lived in the hood, or even visited the hood, don't judge those who have. Give people a chance to learn!

I have and I have.

He's not a kid...he's a coach.

...and lets not forget he's a coach that was willing to sell kids under his influence.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, cthomas said:

The fact that coach Knight let him be part of the program should tell us all we need to know. Knight was notoriously hard on rule breakers.

If there is a school that makes sure it is playing by the book, its IU.  While UNC pays millions to get out of scandals, Kansas gives extended contracts.....IU turns itself in.

They do their homework.  And, I trust they make the correct hires within this space.  

Edited by Fiveoutofsix
  • Like 2