Assistant Coaches??

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Well I don't like it but they didn't ask me.  Even if his nephew ends up at IU, I still won't like it.

I'll say no more on the subject but that would be the first thing CMW has done that I didn't like.  Here's hoping it works out...whoever he hires.

CMW isn’t going to hire someone who is a scumbag and would do damage to IU; he cares too much. Don’t think Matta would sign off on either. Fact is, one can assume the guy is an incompetent cheet, but you don’t know. That’s one problem today, everybody rushes to a judgement based on squat. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WRSMick55 said:

CMW isn’t going to hire someone who is a scumbag and would do damage to IU; he cares too much. Don’t think Matta would sign off on either. Fact is, one can assume the guy is an incompetent cheet, but you don’t know. That’s one problem today, everybody rushes to a judgement based on squat. 

Did you even read the posted article about his activity in the sting?  I wouldn't refer to that testimony as "squat".

Again, I hope it works out but don't tell me to not be concerned based on the testimony that's already out there in the public domain.

• Like 1

Concerning but the reality is that what was uncovered a few years ago is far more widespread then the schools that were caught. I have zero doubt that many of the assistants, coaches, and players who we have wanted over the past month have been involved in this stuff to some degree. 

I trust Woodson, a Bob Knight disciple, to run a clean program. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

All the handwringing over this hire is ridiculous.  Mike Woodson is an NBA guy who clearly understands the reality of how college basketball recruiting works.  It looks like IU might finally be ready to start acting like a big time program.

Can someone connect all the dots for me? So Yasmir is Jabari Smith's Dad?

Saw this shared on BTB and had to pass it on. Really, it’s a great watch. Not only is a it a chance to see Yasir talk about recruiting - it’s interesting to learn about some of the recruiting aspects. Based on the conversation, it doesn’t seem like many staffs are simply ‘telling kids what they want to hear’ - I think that’s a narrative fans build up to to detract blame for when their school doesn’t land a recruit.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

The whole thing sounds sleazy as hell to me.

Sounds awesome to me if I'm putting the pieces together. Playing the game the rules allow. It's not like the guy doesn't have coaching experience and it's purely a family play right? He played in college, professionally and has 13+ years of college experience.....and if he can deliver some recruits I'm down. I don't see the problem I guess.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Sounds awesome to me if I'm putting the pieces together. Playing the game the rules allow. It's not like the guy doesn't have coaching experience and it's purely a family play right? He played in college, professionally and has 13+ years of college experience.....and if he can deliver some recruits I'm down. I don't see the problem I guess.

I saw somewhere, maybe BTB, that one of his strengths is improving players' shooting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I saw somewhere, maybe BTB, that one of his strengths is improving players' shooting.

Even better. I'll take the final assistant position as a guy who can deliver recruits, improve players...and deliver more recruits. 

Anyone in the Big 10 have a problem with how Orlando A delivered Kofi and Curbelo for the Illini? I didn't.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can someone connect all the dots for me? So Yasmir is Jabari Smith's Dad?

I don’t think they’re actually related — the kid just calls him “uncle,” apparently.  And the holier than thou crowd is up in arms because the FBI got Rosemond on tape telling Christian Dawkins he’d do whatever it took to get recruits.  But apparently, Dawkins and his crew didn’t give Rosemond any cash because he didn’t have any connections worth paying for at the time.

Edited by FW_Hoosier
  • Like 2

I think Michigan with Howard and now IU with CMW is recognizing the future of college basketball. The NBA is where the kids we need want to go. They want coaches who can get them there. Capital's entire pitch is that. I don't like it, but that is reality in today's game. We all want IU to be relevant. This is how to get there. TJD would not have returned if if that was not the case.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

Idk much about qualifications for a 3rd assistant but he seems to be a likeable guy and specializes in guard play which we definitely need.

If he has a way to bring not a top ten, but a consensus top 5 national recruit with him, I will not complain whatsoever. 

How could Jabari Smith come to IU even if he wanted since he already signed with Auburn? 

• Like 1