Assistant Coaches??

Just now, Coach McDingle said:

How could Jabari Smith come to IU even if he wanted since he already signed with Auburn? 

Decommit and ask for his release. That is it.  If he gets his release which would look bad if they didn’t he will be able to go to another school without sitting.  He hasn’t started classes there so no issue.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Decommit and ask for his release. That is it.  If he gets his release which would look bad if they didn’t he will be able to go to another school without sitting.  He hasn’t started classes there so no issue.  

I know he won't actually be at Auburn until this fall, but can he go into the transfer portal since he has signed with them?

I looked at Smith's profile, and it seems to me that he was likely a lock for Auburn.  Although Alabama, Duke, and UK were on his list, none actually offered.  As he is #5 in the nation, I think this points to his being set on Auburn.  But maybe someone with more knowledge of his recruitment can help us out.

Just now, slojoe said:

I looked at Smith's profile, and it seems to me that he was likely a lock for Auburn.  Although Alabama, Duke, and UK were on his list, none actually offered.  As he is #5 in the nation, I think this points to his being set on Auburn.  But maybe someone with more knowledge of his recruitment can help us out.

He originally committed to Alabama when Rosemond was coaching there.

17 minutes ago, ephul said:

But aren't you sort of assuming "potential character issues"?

Fife was on that list of people this agent reached out to, whether or not they spoke or not we may never know. I know they have Rosemond on wiretap saying he do whatever to get recruits but sometimes people do distasteful things to move up in their industry, it’s not just a college basketball thing...

Don’t forget, they have an agent saying Tom Crean hugged him once (also had Kenny Johnson as his assistant who went on to get caught bribing for Pitino), Tom Ostrom was interested in the Silvia De Sousa recruitment. 

1CA1416E-30F2-4597-B928-9B6BC0E79F85.png

F4D8F54D-4488-4E4B-B5A6-54C5B41E75F4.png

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I've said all I'm going to say here.  I hope it works out, whoever he hires.

I'm taking a break.  Not real interested in interacting with a fan base that no longer seems to care about potential character issues in the coaching staff.

I bet you'll be back. In 30 years of message boards guys always say I'm done....which usually means about 48 hours. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Coach Knight had a couple of assistants that had problems with the NCAA in previous jobs as well.  I just hope this guy is not going to do anything wrong when he is here and that we monitor him well.

Woody spent 4 years with RMK. I trust he will keep his assistants feet to the fire. Starting to feel really good about this situation.  

24 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I bet you'll be back. In 30 years of message boards guys always say I'm done....which usually means about 48 hours. 

I’ll say this...don’t trust him and don’t like him. If he gets us in trouble I’ll be done with coach Woodson. This is guy is exactly what I don’t like about college basketball. Hopefully we go another direction. I have zero tolerance for that crap and I’ll be done with the whole program if they get caught up in something like UL, KU, LSU, Arizona. Auburn had some shady assistant coaches caught up in the scandal too. Any surprise the guys protege ended up there after he was let go at Alabama.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watching everything play out I have one thought - it seems that IU basketball is important again within the administration. There seems to be a commitment to make it important again beyond that. I may or may not agree with every decision being made, but that is not the point because the decisions are not mine. Honestly I’m just glad to see movement toward relevance. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Nobody has complained about anything else Mike Woodson has done. I don’t think it’s ridiculous to question this hire (if it happens) at all. 

this... just because you question something a coach does here and there does not mean you're a bad fan or that you don't support them.  

• Like 3