Assistant Coaches??

12 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

this... just because you question something a coach does here and there does not mean you're a bad fan or that you don't support them.  

I agree with all of this. I think sometimes the frustration happens when someone seems to be more disagreeable than to just be in disagreement. That’s true in anything though; just seems heightened on emotional message boards. 🤓

12 hours ago, cthomas said:

I think Michigan with Howard and now IU with CMW is recognizing the future of college basketball. The NBA is where the kids we need want to go. They want coaches who can get them there. Capital's entire pitch is that. I don't like it, but that is reality in today's game. We all want IU to be relevant. This is how to get there. TJD would not have returned if if that was not the case.

I think you are on to it.  Hiring that guy would fit in with the pivot that is occurring if people are paying attention.  There are some things that are currently not allowed that are about to become a little less grey, kind of like Sampson and the phone calls.  We are positioning ourselves with some people who played the old game so that we can take advantage when the "extra phone calls" are allowable behavior.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've said all I'm going to say here.  I hope it works out, whoever he hires.

I'm taking a break.  Not real interested in interacting with a fan base that no longer seems to care about potential character issues in the coaching staff.

We have had guys like that under about every coach in my lifetime.  Knight hired former cheaters.  Davis I am more iffy on, but I think he had a few questionable guys.  Sampson himself.  Crean had Kenny Johnson.  Miller worked for his brother and I believe Ostrom was considered Florida's "bag man" when he was there.

This is the reality of the past 40+ years, not sure why you just now are getting upset about it.

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, cybergates said:

He got caught and cleared of something shady. He didnt get retained by new Bama coach. He hasn't gotten an assistant job since. Basically he has done his time for the crime. 

I have no problem with IU hiring him, but they better (and I think CMW will) let him know what is allowed and not allowed at IU. 

I remember people being confident that Sampson wouldn't make the same mistakes, in part because it was IU and he wouldn't have to.  If this guy is the hire, I will be disappointed because there are others available without the baggage.  That said, I think Woody and Fife will protect the program at all costs.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

He got caught and cleared of something shady. He didnt get retained by new Bama coach. He hasn't gotten an assistant job since. Basically he has done his time for the crime. 

I have no problem with IU hiring him, but they better (and I think CMW will) let him know what is allowed and not allowed at IU. 

If he got caught of doing something shady, how would he have been "cleared"?

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

After boring weekend I’ve been doing some reading up on Coach Ya....enough that I know can now call him Coach Ya. 

Let’s set the whole baggage issue (for which he was cleared) aside for a second.

If the guy is hired, he’s not a temporary hire because he may or may not bring Jabari Smith. He has been a D1 - power 5 assistant for many years at Oregon, Georgia and Alabama. This is not an under qualified video coordinator. 

I posted a link to his podcast a few pages back, which I recommend listening to if you’re on the fence. A good segment to the podcast is devoted to giving advice to recruits. He has a knack for delivering sobering reality in a tactful way. You can see why this guy connects with recruits: he’ll be relatable, blunt and is extremely knowledgeable. The most important tips he gives to get noticed by college staffs? 1. Work hard and demonstrate you can fit into a teams culture. 2. Take your education seriously. ‘Talent’ takes a back seat to tips 1 and 2. And when talent comes up he recommends to stop dribbling and work on your shooting. Play defense. Etc. 

I just get a good vibe from the guy. 

Thanks.  Did you get a sense for his expertise in player development?  Shooting but all aspects.  

7 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

After boring weekend I’ve been doing some reading up on Coach Ya....enough that I know can now call him Coach Ya. 

Let’s set the whole baggage issue (for which he was cleared) aside for a second.

If the guy is hired, he’s not a temporary hire because he may or may not bring Jabari Smith. He has been a D1 - power 5 assistant for many years at Oregon, Georgia and Alabama. This is not an under qualified video coordinator. 

I posted a link to his podcast a few pages back, which I recommend listening to if you’re on the fence. A good segment to the podcast is devoted to giving advice to recruits. He has a knack for delivering sobering reality in a tactful way. You can see why this guy connects with recruits: he’ll be relatable, blunt and is extremely knowledgeable. The most important tips he gives to get noticed by college staffs? 1. Work hard and demonstrate you can fit into a teams culture. 2. Take your education seriously. ‘Talent’ takes a back seat to tips 1 and 2. And when talent comes up he recommends to stop dribbling and work on your shooting. Play defense. Etc. 

Very well said. Sometimes a click of the like isn't enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks.  Did you get a sense for his expertise in player development?  Shooting but all aspects.  

There’s a few episodes and I only watched the first. He didn’t get into specifics about development in that episode. They talked a lot about social media do’s and don’ts’ (which was also really interesting) and started to run out of time. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Rosemond would be the 3rd assistant. Fife and Hunter are the heavy hitters on our staff. They would be doing the heavy lifting regarding recruiting not Rosemond. 

I think all 3 will be doing heavy lifting regarding recruiting. Hunter out East, Fife in the Midwest, and Rosemond in South.

• Like 7

So from reading about what was happening, these "agent runners" were giving money to assistant coaches and hoping to have these assistant coaches funnel kids they'd recruited to certain agents...Matt Norlander (CBS) covered the trial and tweeted this about Roseland...

So while he technically didn't do anything wrong, the intent was clearly there... And I'm shocked an SEC team would have "resources to land recruits" in place 😯

I guess I'm ok with it...I think Woody and Matta are smart enough to navigate ever changing recruiting scenery without landing us in trouble...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

After boring weekend I’ve been doing some reading up on Coach Ya....enough that I can now call him Coach Ya. 

Thanks for doing the 'research'. It seems like he's qualified to be a 3rd assistant and provide some meaningful insights to potential recruits.

Question for all of you who are far more connected/in-tune with the duties and operations of a staff: how would Coach Ya fit in terms of Xs and Os?

How does the entire staff divide duties? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each member, and do we feel like all of our "bases" are covered?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

So from reading about what was happening, these "agent runners" were giving money to assistant coaches and hoping to have these assistant coaches funnel kids they'd recruited to certain agents...Matt Norlander (CBS) covered the trial and tweeted this about Roseland...

So while he technically didn't do anything wrong, the intent was clearly there... And I'm shocked an SEC team would have "resources to land recruits" in place 😯

I guess I'm ok with it...I think Woody and Matta are smart enough to navigate ever changing recruiting scenery without landing us in trouble...

Honest question I don’t know the answer to:

With NIL going into affect, will this shady underbelly seize to exist in a few years? I know this is more serious, but kinda like the too many text messages thing?

I guess what I mean is that it will still be shady, but the appeal of bribes loses it’s luster if CBB players can legitimately earn money through endorsements. Why do something illegally if you can do it legally?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

After boring weekend I’ve been doing some reading up on Coach Ya....enough that I can now call him Coach Ya. 

I agree with almost everything you wrote, but I think with our recent history it is a stretch to set aside the baggage.  If we set aside the baggage, we could've hired Sampson again, or Alford for that matter.  I get Coach Ya was cleared, because he didn't take money.  It wasn't that he didn't take money because his moral compass said it was the wrong thing to do, he didn't take money because he didn't have anything Dawkins was willing to pay for.  Big difference there.  At IU he will likely have players others are willing to pay for.  I will trust CMW's decision, but this is someone that should be on a very short leash.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Honest question I don’t know the answer to:

With NIL going into affect, will this shady underbelly seize to exist in a few years? I know this is more serious, but kinda like the too many text messages thing?

I guess what I mean is that it will still be shady, but the appeal of bribes loses it’s luster if CBB players can legitimately earn money through endorsements. Why do something illegally if you can do it legally?  

There will always be the illegal market even with NIL in effect. I think it’s going in the right direction where players can earn money off of their own likeness, but I can see scenarios where it can still get shady and a company or booster could essentially bribe a player to go to a certain school. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Thanks for doing the 'research'. It seems like he's qualified to be a 3rd assistant and provide some meaningful insights to potential recruits.

Question for all of you who are far more connected/in-tune with the duties and operations of a staff: how would Coach Ya fit in terms of Xs and Os?

How does the entire staff divide duties? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each member, and do we feel like all of our "bases" are covered?

He spoke a little about coaching in different systems, or the difference between systems and what coaches are looking for. For example, he said one coach liked him to go after big (strong/wide 3s). I’d imagine most assistants are versatile and adapt to their head coaches philosophy. I think that’s where experience comes in - experienced assistants know the ins and outs of many systems. Not only for applying to their current teams’ system, but also for game planning against other teams. 

11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Wasn't Tom O. Onna text message exchange the FBI had with a similar statement?  This while at IU recruiting a kid out of one of the Florida academy?  It's a vague statement and can mean many things.  Sometimes, playing time, sometimes academic support, etc. Growing up in a family of lawyers, I will beleive if something came out of it, like being proven guilty.  

Now, I know we will all have different perspectives depending on the viewpoint we want.  Thinking about it objectively, I do not think IU would do anything damaging at this point.  This coach seems like a very likable, standup, mentor and teacher.  I support that.  

• Thanks 1