Assistant Coaches??

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Honest question I don’t know the answer to:

With NIL going into affect, will this shady underbelly seize to exist in a few years? I know this is more serious, but kinda like the too many text messages thing?

I guess what I mean is that it will still be shady, but the appeal of bribes loses it’s luster if CBB players can legitimately earn money through endorsements. Why do something illegally if you can do it legally?  

Sure there will still be people doing shady things. If one school is very successful with NIL through a large fan base and a big market and their recruiting reflects that, it might even make things worse. 

6 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Wasn't Tom O. Onna text message exchange the FBI had with a similar statement?  This while at IU recruiting a kid out of one of the Florida academy?  It's a vague statement and can mean many things.  Sometimes, playing time, sometimes academic support, etc. Growing up in a family of lawyers, I will beleive if something came out of it, like being proven guilty.  

Now, I know we will all have different perspectives depending on the viewpoint we want.  Thinking about it objectively, I do not think IU would do anything damaging at this point.  This coach seems like a very likable, standup, mentor and teacher.  I support that.  

I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it...

31 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

There will always be the illegal market even with NIL in effect. I think it’s going in the right direction where players can earn money off of their own likeness, but I can see scenarios where it can still get shady and a company or booster could essentially bribe a player to go to a certain school. 

A company can bribe a player now. But it’s no longer a bribe....it’s an endorsement. Same thing for a booster who owns a business for example. If they want their accounting firm to have a player endorse a kid then fine, but they better make sure their shareholders and employees are on board. Heck, IU is even advertising it’s NIL resources in public....on Twitter. They’re essentially saying ‘come here and you’ll get paid’. Could that be considered a bribe? 

my point being that it’s a different problem that wouldn’t necessarily facilitate the need for assistants to be runners for agents....or the middlemen. 

Edit/add: Just thought of a good analogy. If you legalize drugs it eliminates the need for drug dealers, which reduces crime, helps countries torn apart by cartels, reduces the incentive for immigrants/refugees to flea to our border. Problem is that drugs are still (if not more) readily available but at least you eliminate a few problems that stem from their illegality. In the end it’s about picking your poison. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

I don’t have anything insightful to add on Rosemond mainly because we don’t know the “behind the scenes” talks. If he’s indeed hired, maybe Woody will clarify the thinking. 

Broadly speaking, I don’t know why we need to hire him.  His prior trouble was not in the grey area, it was actually sleazy.  It’s also not like he’s got a track record of securing a long list of top recruits.  

Woody has to have a ton of interest in the job from others.  You put “Indiana assistant” on your resume and it will open future doors for you.  Plus, there are always the Drew Adams or Kory Barnett types out there at a minimum. 

So how does this all compute?  We can speculate all day but we don’t know.  Woody is old enough to be Yasir’s dad.  Maybe they had a heart to heart and Yasir convinced Woody he will be on the straight and narrow and he will work his butt off etc. Woody would be taking a chance on him and he doesn’t have the Knight history to fall back on like when Knight took a chance on Ellenberger.  If this blows up on Woody, that would look really bad for Woody. 

So if Woody is taking a chance on him, then he must have his reasons to think that Yasir will contribute to a need and not embarrass him or the school. 

53 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I don’t have anything insightful to add on Rosemond mainly because we don’t know the “behind the scenes” talks. If he’s indeed hired, maybe Woody will clarify the thinking. 

Broadly speaking, I don’t know why we need to hire him.  His prior trouble was not in the grey area, it was actually sleazy.  It’s also not like he’s got a track record of securing a long list of top recruits.  

Woody has to have a ton of interest in the job from others.  You put “Indiana assistant” on your resume and it will open future doors for you.  Plus, there are always the Drew Adams or Kory Barnett types out there at a minimum. 

So how does this all compute?  We can speculate all day but we don’t know.  Woody is old enough to be Yasir’s dad.  Maybe they had a heart to heart and Yasir convinced Woody he will be on the straight and narrow and he will work his butt off etc. Woody would be taking a chance on him and he doesn’t have the Knight history to fall back on like when Knight took a chance on Ellenberger.  If this blows up on Woody, that would look really bad for Woody. 

So if Woody is taking a chance on him, then he must have his reasons to think that Yasir will contribute to a need and not embarrass him or the school. 

Posted this a couple of weeks ago. While a player, Woodson got caught up in some stuff with two other players. The other two were let go from the team. RMK suspended Woodson, in essence giving him a second chance. 

Maybe this is Woodson doing something similar. A “pay it forward “ if you will 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I don't remember that, but I'll take your word for it...

Chuck Martin was also in one of the articles about FBI scandal.

Tom O:  Not sure where the exact message is, but found this quickly in an article

“This is from Lasko to Fenny,” Schachter said, reading the text to Kaplan. “‘Fenny, I am in Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?’”

Tom Ostrom, the associate head coach at Indiana, is in his second season with the Hoosiers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

😍 at “shooting mechanics expertise”

In 58 college games Yasir shot 36.8 from the field, 37% from 3 and 51.4% from the stripe.  Can someone explain to me how that makes him a shooting mechanics expert?  Seems like some folks are really working the mental gymnastics to try and make this hire more palletable. 

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

In 58 college games Yasir shot 36.8 from the field, 37% from 3 and 51.4% from the stripe.  Can someone explain to me how that makes him a shooting mechanics expert?  Seems like some folks are really working the mental gymnastics to try and make this hire more palletable. 

How does Izzo coach successful bigs? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Posted this a couple of weeks ago. While a player, Woodson got caught up in some stuff with two other players. The other two were let go from the team. RMK suspended Woodson, in essence giving him a second chance. 

Maybe this is Woodson doing something similar. A “pay it forward “ if you will 

I personally don't feel like IU is in a position of charlty at the moment.  As someone posted earlier, he hasn't worked since being let go by Alabama, why?  Why has no one else stepped up and offered the second chance?  I just don't see the need for the risk here.  I wouldn't do it, but as I said, I'll trust CMW.

3 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

How about we just give this guy a chance.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Teaching and doing are 2 completely different items. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I personally don't feel like IU is in a position of charlty at the moment.  As someone posted earlier, he hasn't worked since being let go by Alabama, why?  Why has no one else stepped up and offered the second chance?  I just don't see the need for the risk here.  I wouldn't do it, but as I said, I'll trust CMW.

It's not even close to charity. I would take him over any assistant Archie had minus Hunter. To get him as the 3rd and I believe Roberts stays that is a great hire

• Like 3