Assistant Coaches??

1 minute ago, Muddy River said:

So you are OK with a 51% free throw shooter teaching shooting form?  Call me next year, I'll do your taxes.  :coffee:

I know it's not the same but plenty of Olympic gold medalist have been Coached by some people that never made it that far.

I taught the civil war, Vietnam and all other US conflicts without EVER stepping foot on the battlefield myself. Call me a savant!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

In 58 college games Yasir shot 36.8 from the field, 37% from 3 and 51.4% from the stripe.  Can someone explain to me how that makes him a shooting mechanics expert?  Seems like some folks are really working the mental gymnastics to try and make this hire more palletable. 

Charlie Lau was a career .255 hitter in the bigs, but is widely heralded as the best hitting coach in history...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HoobieDoobie said:

You guys getting mad about this are hilarious.  He was cleared of wrongdoing, he has connections, he's young, and from his podcasts sounds like he would connect really well with recruits and understands the game of recruiting.   I'm glad to have Yasir on board.

These guys are struggling with the entire direction of college sports.  It has always been a business,  it is just now starting to be run like one. From a player standpoint I am referring to...

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, HoobieDoobie said:

You guys getting mad about this are hilarious.  He was cleared of wrongdoing, he has connections, he's young, and from his podcasts sounds like he would connect really well with recruits and understands the game of recruiting.   I'm glad to have Yasir on board.

Exactly. Not gonna care more than the FBI and NCAA on this matter if they said he’s fine. Also not gonna sit here and pretend like there aren’t plenty more people involved in pay for play that just so happened to be lucky enough not to have the authorities listening in.

He apparently has good recruiting connections in areas Hunter/Fife are less familiar with, works with guards, and can help with shooting mechanics. Sounds like a win to me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So you don't have to be able to do calculus to teach calculus?  That would certainly explain some of my high school teachers.

You have to be joking right just looking for some fun back and forth right?? We could list 1000's of examples. Coach Knight nor an all time great college player fared pretty well or if you don't know you could Google him. It's hard to believe that the people that figured out how to put a man on the moon never did it themselves,  that can't be right by your definition. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

So you are OK with a 51% free throw shooter teaching shooting form?  Call me next year, I'll do your taxes.  :coffee:

As @Billingsley99 stated above: teaching and doing are completely different things. I was a horrible butterflier when I swam. I had to work at it and do a ton of drills because It didn’t come naturally to me. It was a challenge and one of my slower strokes. But I’m great at coaching it. I have a better bio mechanical knowledge of the stroke because it didn’t come naturally to me. I had to think about it, thus, can explain it and can catch technical flaws easier. 

Another example: Some big shot lawyer came in from Indy to teach by business law class in college. Sucked at teaching. So much so, I had to drop the class because I had no clue what was going on. I had an actual tenured professor when i re-took the class the following semester. He probably wasn’t a better lawyer than the other guy, but was a way better teacher. 

I could list a thousand other examples to disprove that train of thought. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

You have to be joking right just looking for some fun back and forth right?? We could list 1000's of examples. Coach Knight nor an all time great college player fared pretty well or if you don't know you could Google him. It's hard to believe that the people that figured out how to put a man on the moon never did it themselves,  that can't be right by your definition. 

Easy now!  You know the earth is flat, and that moon walk was on a movie set 😉

• Haha 1

In his last year at Alabama, our esteemed shooting Yoda had his team shooting a a 46% clip from the floor, 32% from 3 and 67% from  the stripe.  Look, I don't care who CMW hires to be the 3rd assistant.  I will not lose a minute of sleep over it.  I just don't understand A) Why we take a risk when it isn't necessary to do so. and B) Why people are selling a bill of goods about the guy that has zero evidence to back it up.

Just now, Muddy River said:

In his last year at Alabama, our esteemed shooting Yoda had his team shooting a a 46% clip from the floor, 32% from 3 and 67% from  the stripe.  Look, I don't care who CMW hires to be the 3rd assistant.  I will not lose a minute of sleep over it.  I just don't understand A) Why we take a risk when it isn't necessary to do so. and B) Why people are selling a bill of goods about the guy that has zero evidence to back it up.

Maybe he is the only coach in America that would come to Indiana. The man has yet to even seal the deal and is being judged. They could hire me and I guarantee the team would not shoot any worse.

Your posts would say that you care about it.  Again, how about we just give this guy a chance before sh1tting all over the hire.

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

Maybe he is the only coach in America that would come to Indiana. The man has yet to even seal the deal and is being judged. They could hire me and I guarantee the team would not shoot any worse.

Honest question, for you or anyone else chiming in.  Do you think with all the evidence we have, he is the best available candidate, the best fit for this position?  I would support your hire over his provided you haven't had any run ins with the FBI.

6 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

Without data on how those kids shot without him how they shot with him can’t be used against him. Johnson got let go after all. Like Archie maybe his system was junk 

Honest question, for you or anyone else chiming in.  Do you think with all the evidence we have, he is the best available candidate, the best fit for this position?  I would support your hire over his provided you haven't had any run ins with the FBI.

Just a question how many 3rd assistants can you name on any staffs in the country.  I don't really like that his name came up.in the FBI investigation but will give him a chance.  We are in deep trouble if we are expecting the 3rd assistant to be the difference in being a good or great team.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoobieDoobie said:

Cleared is only in the legal sense.  His intent was to commit the crime. He just didn’t have anything worth paying for, so he got lucky.  That’s not functioning in the grey area or exploiting a loophole.  He wanted to cross the line.

I am not saying I’m against him because I want to hear what Woody says about it.  Woody is the one taking the risk, not any of us.  We don’t know what Yasir is saying now.  Maybe he’s been humbled and changed.  Perhaps he has shown that he is worthy of a second chance.  None of us can judge that today.  And who knows what kind of coaching and recruiting he will bring?  There must be something there that Woody thinks would fill a need such that Woody is willing to take a big chance.

But pretending he didn’t veer from the grey area into outright corruption is just the opposite extreme of thinking he absolutely shouldn’t be considered.     Imagine if he gets caught holding illicit cash in the future.  I wouldn’t want my name attached to blindly supporting that.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Without data on how those kids shot without him how they shot with him can’t be used against him. Johnson got let go after all. Like Archie maybe his system was junk 

Look, maybe the guy is terrific at relating to kids, fine, sell that.  Don't sell that he is a shot doctor when no one has provided any evidence as to such, and the evidence available suggests otherwise.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just a question how many 3rd assistants can you name on any staffs in the country.  I don't really like that his name came up.in the FBI investigation but will give him a chance.  We are in deep trouble if we are expecting the 3rd assistant to be the difference in being a good or great team.

EXACTLY!!  So why take the risk?