Assistant Coaches??

2 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I agree with everything you said, and this last sentence is why this "alleged" hire makes zero sense to me.  There are hundreds of people who could fill that 3rd chair who don't bring the cloud of suspicion.  Keep Mike Roberts, hell, hire IU Scott, I think he's looking for work, and neither of them brings the cloud of suspicion.  And IF (Big If) Yasir ever decided to go rogue, we wouldn't know until it is too late.   He will have access to players worth paying for here.  IU has danced with this devil previously and we still haven't recovered.  I just don't see the reason to take another bite of this apple.

I'll take the job and at half what they are paying assistants

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Fun conversation gang! As always respect to all people....even if I don't agree. If Yasir can get us kids that can help Coach Woodson and IU compete in the Big 10 and nationally.....I'm down. 

I am down if he gets them legitimately but won't be if if he breaks any rules

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well IU fans use to be proud of winning the right way.  It saddens me seeing so many newer fans not caring about how we win

I am not a new fan.

I am a fan that realizes that things change.  Like letting NBA players in the Olympics.  That changed because the U.S. got tired of college kids playing pros.  NIL is about to change things some more.  Like it or not, the cheaters won.  They won so much that the rules are changing.  More than anything the past 20 years, I believe that Indiana's reluctance to play the games that Kansas, Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. played is what led to us being mediocre.  We can say we did things the right way but without a Hall of Fame coach to hold it together, you lose...a lot.

When this gray area becomes a-okay, you want a guy who knows how to navigate that world.  I totally get the "winning the right way" mantra but I really do not believe that many programs (including Indiana) have not been in that territory.  Those who were more willing to lean in have been more successful and those like Indiana who have been reluctant have not.

A rule unenforced is not really a rule anymore.  The NCAA does not do jack about it if you don't self punish...so if they don't care, why should I?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Clearly, there is a difference between paying off a player and holding, or traveling. 

This has gotten way jabberwockey 

This wasn’t about big v little.

I thought this was about playing in the grey area? If CMW hires this guy, of course, blatant cheating cannot be condoned. However, holding on a play, scuffling the ball, hitting the shooter on the elbow, those kinds of things are what everyone else is, and has been doing for quite some time. 

I hope this regime takes advantage of every bit of grey area, without crossing the line. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never said it was alright to cheat on your wife but that is not what the discussion was about.  I said he didn't cheat to get players and would take their success on the court.

It’s called deflection Scott. They will say anything to justify their opinion. They will bring up comparisons that have nothing to do with what is really happening. Same thing that happens in America today...ends justify the means. You lie, cheat, destroy people’s character with assassination attempts...so on and on. In the end if your side wins that is all that matters. People will say everyone does it. They will say the other side is doing it with no proof but well they win so they have to break the rules. It’s easy to make accusations but in this matter we have proof. Everyone knows what the guy is. Now we have a few ways to look at it. One is once a cheat always a cheat. Two he learned his lesson and is reformed. Three he is susceptible to cheat but our staff will keep him in line. Finally he will cheat again but it’s for us and that is all the matters. Where everyone falls is their own choice but nobody needs to try to make anyone else feel bad for how they see it. To each their own. I fall in the 3rd camp...and that doesn’t make me a bad person or a morally superior person. It’s just how I feel. Don’t trust him but trust we will keep him in line. If he goes over it then I won’t have any pity for what happens to this staff. They are playing with fire. Maybe it will work out great. I hope it does. But I’m not going to sit through another probation and rebuild because we want to take short cuts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s called deflection Scott. They will say anything to justify their opinion. They will bring up comparisons that have nothing to do with what is really happening. Same thing that happens in America today...ends justify the means. You lie, cheat, destroy people’s character with assassination attempts...so on and on. In the end if your side wins that is all that matters. People will say everyone does it. They will say the other side is doing it with no proof but well they win so they have to break the rules. It’s easy to make accusations but in this matter we have proof. Everyone knows what the guy is. Now we have a few ways to look at it. One is once a cheat always a cheat. Two he learned his lesson and is reformed. Three he is susceptible to cheat but our staff will keep him in line. Finally he will cheat again but it’s for us and that is all the matters. Where everyone falls is their own choice but nobody needs to try to make anyone else feel bad for how they see it. To each their own. I fall in the 3rd camp...and that doesn’t make me a bad person or a morally superior person. It’s just how I feel. Don’t trust him but trust we will keep him in line. If he goes over it then I won’t have any pity for what happens to this staff. They are playing with fire. Maybe it will work out great. I hope it does. But I’m not going to sit through another probation and rebuild because we want to take short cuts.

The sad thing is, if he’s on the staff and kept in line, no one will be convinced if recruiting improves significantly. Any legit recruiting success this staff has will be tainted with suspicion 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Clearly, there is a difference between paying off a player and holding, or traveling. 

This has gotten way jabberwockey 

This wasn’t about big v little.

I thought this was about playing in the grey area? If CMW hires this guy, of course, blatant cheating cannot be condoned. However, holding on a play, scuffling the ball, hitting the shooter on the elbow, those kinds of things are what everyone else is, and has been doing for quite some time. 

I hope this regime takes advantage of every bit of grey area, without crossing the line. 

Jabberwocky?  😂😂

I love it!

• Like 1

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

The sad thing is, if he’s on the staff and kept in line, no one will be convinced if recruiting improves significantly. Any legit recruiting success this staff has will be tainted with suspicion 

So what? If we're recruiting at a high level and winning, and he's kept in line, who cares about suspicion?

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure who you are directing this towards, but you certainly have made a broad accusation against, whom may I ask?

Assuming that you have never, ever, filled out a missing date on a client form. Checked a box that went unchecked. 

Lots of grey areas.  “They” encompasses many more than you might think 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Maybe...that’s defiantly a possibility. That’s the consequences of his actions. He will always be faced with that. 

19 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Duke just landed another 5 star last week to their stellar class.  I'm sure the nation, majority are not saying ....is that like Corey M recruitment...is thatvlike Zion's recruitment?  Just saying.

And, no, I don't advocate for cheating in any way.

We don't know the whole story, we don't.  Sometimes there is more to it or not.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure who you are directing this towards, but you certainly have made a broad accusation against, whom may I ask?

Assuming that you have never, ever, filled out a missing date on a client form. Checked a box that went unchecked. 

Lots of grey areas.  “They” encompasses many more than you might think 

I’ve made my point. But the bold again is just a misdirection. Change the subject. Move the focus off of where it belongs...this is about Yasir and what he did...not about you, scott, myself, anyone else on this board. My point with everyone will make it about something else is that they will make it about us fans and not him. The point is are you ok with having a guy that has attempted to cheat admittedly freely in the past or are you not. There is good people on both sides of this. Got nothing against any poster on here. Just don’t like trying to make people feel bad about their belief or opinion. Especially those that want to stand up for doing things the right way. I disagree with Scott probably more than anyone on this board but I absolutely respect his stance on this and I don’t think he should apologize or feel bad about it. He is very consistent with it and that to me says a lot. What I’m saying to him is to let it be. There is a wide gulf in regards to this possible hire. On this one matter you are on one side or the other about what this guy was doing and I don’t think either side is convincing someone to come to the other on it. Let’s move on to a subject where we all agree...like with Armaan gone we need another shooter!! Lol

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

So cheating on your wife is less or worse than getting a few bucks to a kid? Slippery slope there.

To be fair, Scott said he would prefer our basketball program be like Wisconsin' basketball program.  I don't think he was factoring in Bo Ryan's personal morality into his point.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rev_AK said:

I’m being a little pragmatic here, but I’d have to think after Dolson being the AD having been a manager on the ‘87 team, Woodson being an IU legend, Fife having played on the last IU team to appear in the NC game, I’d have to think that more care would be placed than making a reckless hire. Woodson wasn’t my first choice, but I do not think any of us think he doesn’t know what he is the steward of now- the IU program and it’s overall legacy. If you heard Fife on DD’s show, and realize that he left MSU to come here, and the level of passion and care for this program. We may not know the X’s and O’s, and what product will be put on the floor, but after what IU has been thru the last 20 years, I just cannot believe that this administration would risk any trouble.

Fife coached at a big time basketball school that got big time recruits for the last ten years. He's not the male equivalent of the Virgin Mary.