Assistant Coaches??

16 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So from reading about what was happening, these "agent runners" were giving money to assistant coaches and hoping to have these assistant coaches funnel kids they'd recruited to certain agents...Matt Norlander (CBS) covered the trial and tweeted this about Roseland...

So while he technically didn't do anything wrong, the intent was clearly there... And I'm shocked an SEC team would have "resources to land recruits" in place 😯

I guess I'm ok with it...I think Woody and Matta are smart enough to navigate ever changing recruiting scenery without landing us in trouble...

Think about how large Bama's football payroll is if they have money to throw around at BB recruits. Has to be millions a year.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Seriously @Billingsley99?

This is not even remotely in the same discussion, and you know that.  Lol

I never ever said it was the same. I was responding to Scott saying that cheating is like being pregnant you are or you aren't. My holding analogy proved that wrong. 

The rules state that holding is not allowed because it gives you an unfair competitive advantage over your opponent.  That in my opinion is the very definition of cheating if you do it knowingly. If you get caught you get penalized just like cheating in recruiting you get, on second thought you just get great players.

My point was not to compare just that it is not as black and white as some want to believe.

As far as hiring Yasir, he is qualified he was cheap for his skill set and if Woodson and Dolson feel he deserves a second chance then who am I to question it. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

All I have to say if we have to be like KU, Arizona, UK or Duke to be successful then I pass.  Give me the success of UW under Ryan any day of the week.  They might not have won a championship but they competed for the conference every year and made deep runs in the tournament.

You KNOW for a fact they are clean because you are on staff or maybe they are better at hiding it. There are many many criminals walking the streets that have never even been accused of a crime does not make them any less a criminal. 

If Scott thinks it's clean it's clean and if he thinks it's dirty it's dirty and that's fine for you to feel that way. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Does not make it right or wrong. You would be surprised what happens behind closed doors with many of the teams you think are clean

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’m okay with grey area as long as it is on par with all the other schools. I don’t want to cheat to win, but I don’t know if a school can consistently be good without some connections. At first I didn’t like the hire, but I’m going to trust the coaching staff. We should have the recruiting map covered pretty well with this staff. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It sounds like he's been Woody's guy since before Fife was even hired but Woody and company wasn't in a rush to make it official. 

Yep. It was a very smart move in my opinion...he is technically not an official hire until paperwork is complete so he could recruit for IU all last week. Smart move and a perfect example of operating in the "gray area" without breaking any rules. Kudos to Woody, Matta, and Dolson for that decision.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep. It was a very smart move in my opinion...he is technically not an official hire until paperwork is complete so he could recruit for IU all last week. Smart move and a perfect example of operating in the "gray area" without breaking any rules. Kudos to Woody, Matta, and Dolson for that decision.

IU actually has smart basketball people in charge now. Don't cheat but find ways to play within the rules that give you an advantage. I love it. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anybody get CoachSS’s email blast? Care to summarize?

He didn't like the Woodson hire at first. He's starting to like it more with his coaching staff decisions and Rosemond is the best hire in mind. IU needs a stretch 4 or a 4 that can put pressure on defenses. Hunter isn't that, Race is a small 5, and JG is an unknown. IU could use a scoring wing too. He also said that an alum who was helping with the hiring process was telling college coaches not to go after the job to make it easier to get Woody hired. Guard and Center spots are the teams positions of strength. There was more but it was long winded. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

You KNOW for a fact they are clean because you are on staff or maybe they are better at hiding it. There are many many criminals walking the streets that have never even been accused of a crime does not make them any less a criminal. 

If Scott thinks it's clean it's clean and if he thinks it's dirty it's dirty and that's fine for you to feel that way. It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Does not make it right or wrong. You would be surprised what happens behind closed doors with many of the teams you think are clean

I am not good with words but I could have not been said any better thanks

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

He didn't like the Woodson hire at first. He's starting to like it more with his coaching staff decisions and Rosemond is the best hire in mind. IU needs a stretch 4 or a 4 that can put pressure on defenses. Hunter isn't that, Race is a small 5, and JG is an unknown. IU could use a scoring wing too. He also said that an alum who was helping with the hiring process was telling college coaches not to go after the job to make it easier to get Woody hired. Guard and Center spots are the teams positions of strength. There was more but it was long winded. 

Thanks, but ???????

That’s odd

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Not yet but he's been hired since Friday. It just can't be announced and made official until all the HR stuff is done. 

With it not official he can recruit off the books yes??

Anyone think he brings a kid with him. We brought in Hunter and immediately land Stewart and then we retain Hunter and we land X-man. Any thoughts if this guy comes as a package??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Anyone think he brings a kid with him. We brought in Hunter and immediately land Stewart and then we retain Hunter and we land X-man. Any thoughts if this guy comes as a package??

Yes, that is the reason IU delayed starting the official paperwork.

It's possible that he does but nobody really knows at this point. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Not sure there are a few high level guys that he works with. I can't see Smith co.ing with him but IU will be considered by several players that might not have given IU any thought 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, T-Free20 said:

Agreed, very strange. And if this hire doesn't work out, then that person should never be consulted again. He did specifically say it was a former IU player too.

I'd love to know who as well.

Idk who but I have heard from a few sources that Eric Gordon helped fund the buyout. The logical person would be Zeke

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

He also said that an alum who was helping with the hiring process was telling college coaches not to go after the job to make it easier to get Woody hired.

May be another way of saying this:

Nevada head coach and former Indiana All-American Steve Alford almost immediately went public saying he was committed to the Wolf Pack and would not pursue the job at his alma mater. Which is good, because Indiana had absolutely no interest in hiring him.

Alford clearly got wind Indiana had no interest in his services so he contacted some friendly media members to let them know he wasn't interested:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/indiana-steve-alford-coach-candidate-interest-01f0vr7vgmxg

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Like 3

Just now, 13th&Jackson said:

May be another way of saying this:

Nevada head coach and former Indiana All-American Steve Alford almost immediately went public saying he was committed to the Wolf Pack and would not pursue the job at his alma mater. Which is good, because Indiana had absolutely no interest in hiring him.

Alford clearly got wind Indiana had no interest in his services so he contacted some friendly media members to let them know he wasn't interested:

This scenario is very likely.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Do you think being a BOT member if that happened he would be in hot water or would it not matter?. No idea on that front

I'm not sure either.  Just seems from what I've heard the search was narrowed down to 1 or 2 guys from the beginning, and neither were college coaches.