Assistant Coaches??

12 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

May be another way of saying this:

Nevada head coach and former Indiana All-American Steve Alford almost immediately went public saying he was committed to the Wolf Pack and would not pursue the job at his alma mater. Which is good, because Indiana had absolutely no interest in hiring him.

Alford clearly got wind Indiana had no interest in his services so he contacted some friendly media members to let them know he wasn't interested:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/indiana-steve-alford-coach-candidate-interest-01f0vr7vgmxg

Without any details or context that is a big allegation to make. 

But this post made me think: were the coaches being told not to go after the job specifically IU alumni? Smart, Fife, Alford, etc. Thus, being more of a strategy to get the alumni base behind one candidate rather than divide interests? 

Hypothetically if somebody like Zeke told Beard not to go after the IU job, wouldn't Beard just tell him to F off? 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

But this post made me think: were the coaches being told not to go after the job specifically IU alumni? Smart, Fife, Alford, etc. Thus, being more of a strategy to get the alumni base behind one candidate rather than divide interests? 

Hypothetically if somebody like Zeke told Beard not to go after the IU job, wouldn't Beard just tell him to F off? 

Question-  Why would the individual who put out the email be the only one who knows this?  Got to ask oneself this question.  What makes him so privileged?  So many sources in the game and that is the one.

It could be HARMFUL to create internet rumors.  Seems that person creates this a bunch throughout the years.  No doubt, he probably hears some accurate info, and has shared that.  But, one has to also look at the track record.  And, only reason why I am saying this is because rumors can create toxicity.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I know some of it is his own making, but for a guy who is pretty much responsible for that 5th banner hanging in Assembly Hall, Steve gets crapped on a bit too much by the press and the fanbase...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know some of it is his own making, but for a guy who is pretty much responsible for that 5th banner hanging in Assembly Hall, Steve gets crapped on a bit too much by the press and the fanbase...

Same. He's an absolute legend and for some reason he's somewhere between Neil Reed and Ricky Calloway in terms of fan appreciation. Weird fan base on some stuff for sure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bowhunter said:

I’m okay with grey area as long as it is on par with all the other schools. I don’t want to cheat to win, but I don’t know if a school can consistently be good without some connections. At first I didn’t like the hire, but I’m going to trust the coaching staff. We should have the recruiting map covered pretty well with this staff. 

Same here.  Let's face it - some schools have advantages others don't have.  Duke with tons of free publicity from ESPN is a blatant recruiting advantage.  Some schools have great geographical attraction.  Some have great facilities because of wealthy alumni.

Certainly I don't condone payoffs or other extreme rules violations, but you have to take advantage of loopholes in the rules if you want to be among the top dogs.

The concept of having an agreement with an assistant, but not hiring him so that he can continue to have contact with potential recruits is a "loophole" and an advantage.  Does anybody suggest we NOT exploit that situation?  I hope not!

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Or another point guard that played a few years earlier.

No, Thomas was part of the process and helping Dolson. I can't see QB since he was in an official position with the University. Thomas makes the most sense. That said SS may have exaggerated the truth a bit on that one. 

2 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Same here.  Let's face it - some schools have advantages others don't have.  Duke with tons of free publicity from ESPN is a blatant recruiting advantage.  Some schools have great geographical attraction.  Some have great facilities because of wealthy alumni.

Certainly I don't condone payoffs or other extreme rules violations, but you have to take advantage of loopholes in the rules if you want to be among the top dogs.

The concept of having an agreement with an assistant, but not hiring him so that he can continue to have contact with potential recruits is a "loophole" and an advantage.  Does anybody suggest we NOT exploit that situation?  I hope not!

Dead period ends June 1st. I hope we make hiring official on June 2nd. If that's the way this thing is going. Although that coach would be missing out on 45 days of compensation. He and his family might take issue with that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

My interactions with Steve have always been excellent.  Nothing negative that I can say.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Little detective work.  

Woody worked with World Wide Wes and Kenny Payne in New York.

Kenny Payne was an assistant at Oregon.  Yasir Rosemond overlapped with Payne at Oregon.  Payne and Wes are tight.

Connecting the dots.  Sounds like Woody talked with Wes and Payne as far as getting a guy in here who is good at relationships.  Rosemond obviously came out of that.  

Very interesting.....You are a top notch sleuth BS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some his making (like some fan interactions) but mostly this guy would be beloved if it weren't for the fact that he is a mediocre coach (I think he could be a great coach if he devoted his whole heart and soul into it) who keeps getting linked to the IU job. If we hadn't had 5 coaching searches in the past 20 years Steve wouldn't have to keep being brought up in the context of a coaching candidate and instead could be best remembered as an all time great player. That's the issue. If we had a good coach here Steve as a coach wouldn't even be an afterthought. We would just know him as a player. The issue is for a whole generation Steve Alford the coaching candidate is all they know. Even the ones that know him as a player like myself and older fans...we've spent about as much of our lives talking about Steve Alford the coach as we did the player. It comes down to lack of success by IU and just enough but not enough success by Steve as a coach. Enough he keeps coming up but not enough to say he would be a good hire...thus the context around Steve is always about coaching and not about his playing days. Hopefully the program takes off and we can put the idea of HCSA to bed once and for all.

On a side note....Woodson has a lot on the line with this job. He has an incredible legacy at IU....he is putting all that on the line because he might always be remembered as a horrible coach instead of an all time great. He also might finally kill Coach Knights legacy once and for all too if he is awful. A lot riding on him. Hope he knocks it out though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Little detective work.  

Woody worked with World Wide Wes and Kenny Payne in New York.

Kenny Payne was an assistant at Oregon.  Yasir Rosemond overlapped with Payne at Oregon.  Payne and Wes are tight.

Connecting the dots.  Sounds like Woody talked with Wes and Payne as far as getting a guy in here who is good at relationships.  Rosemond obviously came out of that.  

It is real important to get an assistant who connects with kids and has the ability to teach and develop.  Looks like two individuals who are well respected in basketball circles helped out their great friend.  What an important hire and angood one.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Dead period ends June 1st. I hope we make hiring official on June 2nd. If that's the way this thing is going. Although that coach would be missing out on 45 days of compensation. He and his family might take issue with that.

Agree.  And I'm sure something can be worked out in regard to the delay in salary....

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

The hiring process is underway. This won't last that long. Maybe a couple more days. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DC2345 said:

The hiring process is underway. This won't last that long. Maybe a couple more days. 

Understand. I'm talking official hire date. We interview people all the time in early November with hiring date set for early January for a variety of reasons.

Mostly money but sometimes it's to wait out noncompete clauses or other specific reasons. I'm just saying waiting to make it official does have some benefits in this specific case.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand. I'm talking official hire date. We interview people all the time in early November with hiring date set for early January for a variety of reasons.

Mostly money but sometimes it's to wait out noncompete clauses or other specific reasons. I'm just saying waiting to make it official does have some benefits in this specific case.

I get that but I think this will happen this week because of all the other things that assistants need to do besides recruiting. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yep. It was a very smart move in my opinion...he is technically not an official hire until paperwork is complete so he could recruit for IU all last week. Smart move and a perfect example of operating in the "gray area”

Wouldn’t he still be able to recruit if the hire was made a week ago? How does the move to delay the paperwork give an advantage? 

Just now, BENDOVER said:

Wouldn’t he still be able to recruit if the hire was made a week ago? How does the move to delay the paperwork give an advantage? 

No in person recruiting can be done right now and those rules don't apply to someone who hasn't officially been hired yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, RoadToZion said:

It's pretty funny seeing the people freak out over this guy. Both Crean and Archie dabbled in the "gray areas" often. They were no saints. It's just how recruiting works these days.

Those crimson colored glasses are crazy for some people. They just don't always see reality when looking through them 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

It's pretty funny seeing the people freak out over this guy. Both Crean and Archie dabbled in the "gray areas" often. They were no saints. It's just how recruiting works these days.

My only issue is that many were freaking out over possibly hiring Scott Drew but are now seemingly fine with Rosemond.  

• Haha 1