Assistant Coaches??

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I can only imagine the things that went on even when Knight was coach that the "right way" crowd would be floored by.

I worked detailing cars for a short time at a dealership in Bloomington (mid-late 90s when Knight was still coach). It didn't happen when I was there (summer), but was told by more than one person who worked there a long time that the "car is in the shop for repairs" game was played there.

For those that don't know what that is, basically a player takes his car (any car) to the dealer for "repairs" and is given a loaner to drive while the (non-existent) work is being done. The "repairs" take all semester to get done for some reason...

I will tell you that I was friends with Calbert during his Junior year.  The guy didn't have a car at all, he rode to class with me.  He had a milk crate for a TV stand.  Is there a reason the College Player of the Year to be was left out of all of the illicit benefits?  Was there anyone on the team more deserving than him?  I heard a lot of stories similar to the one you told, but they were never first hand, and my own first hand experiences were quite different.  But then again, I'm told I'm naive (I guess I can add dumb as crap to the list as well), so there is that.

Edited by Muddy River
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Good auto mechanics were in short supply during the 90's.   

All those fancy smancy computer chips they were starting to put into cars....probably didn't have anyone that could understand the read out lol.

I'm past this tiring arguement over Yasir. Everyone has said their piece. On both sides. We all got to have our opinion....and absolutely ZERO people changed their mind....per usual. That is fine but we are beating a dead horse here guys. Not saying it is or isn't a big deal what he did but it seems like a done deal. We just move on....and pray to God it all works out....because I'm not sitting through another probation and firing and complete rebuild. Keep our nose clean and stay out of the NCAA crosshairs and lets go win games. If people want to fight this out....put up a poll or something. Not sure we need to rehash it every 10 mins on here. In fact I hope we close this thread once it becomes official lol.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I'm past this tiring arguement over Yasir. Everyone has said their piece. On both sides. We all got to have our opinion....and absolutely ZERO people changed their mind....per usual. That is fine but we are beating a dead horse here guys. Not saying it is or isn't a big deal what he did but it seems like a done deal. We just move on....and pray to God it all works out....because I'm not sitting through another probation and firing and complete rebuild. Keep our nose clean and stay out of the NCAA crosshairs and lets go win games. If people want to fight this out....put up a poll or something. Not sure we need to rehash it every 10 mins on here. In fact I hope we close this thread once it becomes official lol.

Agreed. Will be glad to see this finalized so we can move on.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I will tell you that I was friends with Calbert during his Junior year.  The guy didn't have a car at all, he rode to class with me.  He had a milk crate for a TV stand.  Is there a reason the College Player of the Year to be was left out of all of the illicit benefits?  Was there anyone on the team more deserving than him?  I heard a lot of stories similar to the one you told, but they were never first hand, and my own first hand experiences were quite different.  But then again, I'm told I'm naive (I guess I can add dumb as crap to the list as well), so there is that.

Good point and I didn't witness it 1st hand either. My guess would be that someone like CC had more integrity than the people who would accept the benefits (not judging those who do b/c I don't think it is an ethical issue to accept a loaner car, just a NCAA rules violation) and/or he didn't want to jeopardize his eligibility or risk hurting his team for that.

I think of it like this: I drank underage at IU and don't think that makes me a bad person but I was breaking the law/rules, but if I was on scholarship/playing for IUBB I don't think I would have. 

Edited by cybergates

6 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

This is probably my favorite thing about CMW so far.  He doesn't seem to have this crazy large ego where he feels like he needs to know everything or do it all himself.  He's got plenty of resources to utilize and bounce ideas off of.... Matta, Brown and I'm sure countless others.  (not to mention Hunter and Fife and Asst #3)

It's like I tell my kids -- you don't need to have all the answers, you just need to know where to find them.  Seems that's his strategy and I like it.  

I also see this as a sign of self-confidence. Usually people who are insecure try to portray themselves bigger than they really are. Definitely a huge benefit of having a coach of Mike Woodson's caliber who pretty much accomplished everything as a basketball person. A self-confident but humble person feels comfortable in his/her own skin. This is something we haven't seen for a long time. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

May be another way of saying this:

Nevada head coach and former Indiana All-American Steve Alford almost immediately went public saying he was committed to the Wolf Pack and would not pursue the job at his alma mater. Which is good, because Indiana had absolutely no interest in hiring him.

Alford clearly got wind Indiana had no interest in his services so he contacted some friendly media members to let them know he wasn't interested:

https://www.thebiglead.com/posts/indiana-steve-alford-coach-candidate-interest-01f0vr7vgmxg

If it's true that an alum was telling coaches not to and it kept us from going after Alford, then whoever it was needs a statue in front of Assembly Hall. 👍 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, HoosierMama said:

This is probably my favorite thing about CMW so far.  He doesn't seem to have this crazy large ego where he feels like he needs to know everything or do it all himself.  He's got plenty of resources to utilize and bounce ideas off of.... Matta, Brown and I'm sure countless others.  (not to mention Hunter and Fife and Asst #3)

It's like I tell my kids -- you don't need to have all the answers, you just need to know where to find them.  Seems that's his strategy and I like it.  

I'm kind of hurt he has not reached out to me for advice yet.  :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I can confirm this on Calbert. He lived in the back of the Villas would have been his senior year. He and Graham didn't buy cars until the barnstorming tour/draft positions were announced. Calbert bought a white Ford Explorer IIRC and Graham bought a gray SUV as well. 

Shoot Sherron hung out with us our senior year. He pulled up to campus in a Ford Tempo.

I'm just adding this in because I don't think for a second Knight had anything illegal going at all. Now Mallory on the other hand? Vaughn Dunbar was my neighbor in the villas....sweet ride is all I'll say.

I should say in accordance with the thread....different times and the game and the way it's played has changed. I have no problem in the world changing with it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I can confirm this on Calbert. He lived in the back of the Villas would have been his senior year. He and Graham didn't buy cars until the barnstorming tour/draft positions were announced. Calbert bought a white Ford Explorer IIRC and Graham bought a gray SUV as well. 

Shoot Sherron hung out with us our senior year. He pulled up to campus in a Ford Tempo.

I'm just adding this in because I don't think for a second Knight had anything illegal going at all. Now Mallory on the other hand? Vaughn Dunbar was my neighbor in the villas....sweet ride is all I'll say.

I should say in accordance with the thread....different times and the game and the way it's played has changed. I have no problem in the world changing with it.

Keith Smart drove an old VW

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Keith Smart drove an old VW

So we’ve basically established that our all decade team were broke and weren’t getting money and cars lol. So who exactly got paid/benefits?? Everyone knows a guy that knows a guy but when we get down to it seems the program was pretty much on the up and up as far as staying out or the bad areas. I’m sure some kids got some meals and some basketball swag that goes without saying but nobody was getting bags of money, cars, or houses I think it’s safe to say.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So we’ve basically established that our all decade team were broke and weren’t getting money and cars lol. So who exactly got paid/benefits?? Everyone knows a guy that knows a guy but when we get down to it seems the program was pretty much on the up and up as far as staying out or the bad areas. I’m sure some kids got some meals and some basketball swag that goes without saying but nobody was getting bags of money, cars, or houses I think it’s safe to say.

I know a guy who had a friend that told him his cousin saw first hand that Knight provided hookers and cookies to Jim Crews. I think Chips a hoy. 

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I know a guy who had a friend that told him his cousin saw first hand that Knight provided hookers and cookies to Jim Crews. I think Chips a hoy. 

Dude, everybody know it was a "Snickers" and Nutter Butters.  Geeze, it's like playing the telephone game around here!!

• Like 1