Assistant Coaches??

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If it's not Lewis I could see May. My gut says Roberts leaves May to DOBO, Lewis assistant coach

Woodson, Fife, Lewis and Hunter would be one of the very best staffs in the country if this happens.  Add Sean May to DOBO, with Matta also around in another role.  Wow.  Still kind of surprised Woodson didn't bring an "NBA person".

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have a hard time seeing both Fife and Lewis.  I've always like Fife, but I think Lewis makes more sense from an X's and O's standpoint,  Then you have Hunter as #1 recruiter.  That would make Fife kind of a 3rd wheel, which may not be what he is looking for.

I thought the same thing.... But I certainly thought Fife would've been too cozy in Michigan.

• Like 2

I'm already good to go with Woodson, Matta, Hunter, and now Fife. Anything else they add is gravy. Kudos to IU Admin for opening up purse strings. Reminds me of Al Davis. You get commitment from ownership, you get great coaches....after you get great coaches you get great players and you tell them one thing. Just Win Baby. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

You’re not asking me but I bet we start recruiting in the top 50 a lot harder and more effectively.  Fingers crossed.  It just makes too much sense.  

I don't know about that. If the One and Done is going away, wouldn't that mean the top 5 to 10 each year is going Pro or D League?

Unless WWW starts helping, I don't see Woody getting us in the same realm of Cal and K.

8 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I don't know about that. If the One and Done is going away, wouldn't that mean the top 5 to 10 each year is going Pro or D League?

Unless WWW starts helping, I don't see Woody getting us in the same realm of Cal and K.

It's not going away apparently. The NBA simply bought time and let the whole adidas scandal cool off some.

Now they are saying the union won't allow the NBA access to high school kids medical records.

12 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

It's not going away apparently. The NBA simply bought time and let the whole adidas scandal cool off some.

Now they are saying the union won't allow the NBA access to high school kids medical records.

Thanks. I haven't followed it closely.

35 minutes ago, IUaic said:

I think you are right that the OAD is almost gone and the 2-way contracts mean that all of the highest rated HS players will be going to the NBA out of HS.  Thus, recruiting will involve finding the borderline NBA players or diamonds in the ruff that can be developed.  The transfer portal will also remain big.  So evaluating players and your teams needs will be more important in the future.  Someone else mentioned the same thing in another thread.

49 minutes ago, IUaic said:

You could be right, time will tell.  Where I’m coming from is that players interested in the NBA will listen to Woodson.   He coached at the NBA level and well.  If he says, you’re a 6’6 guy and you need to work on A, B, and C to play in the League, he knows exactly what it takes to play.  So he can really guide a player’s development.  When players and especially their parents hear from him, I think they will be eating out of his hand the way I am.  I loved Trayce saying his dad pulled him into a room and said “you’re staying!”  I think top 50 recruits will be very captive to that feature.  I would agree that not all top 50 players will want Woody and that’s fine if we filter out the wrong guys, and I 100% mean that.  It’s team game and we need guys buying in.  

Then you add Dane Fife now, and he’s a top recruiter.  He landed Max Christie for MSU as just an example from this year.  He has a very good personality and I think he draws well.   Plus he loves IU and that passion will be felt by recruits. 

Hunter has only been here a year but he’s been touted  as recruiter and he has contacts all over.

Then you add Matta.  He is very, very aggressive as a recruiter and in general.  He cannot directly recruit himself, but he can look at prospects and help with ideas on pursuing people, roster construction etc.

You add all that up, and in my mind we should be aggressive and hopefully successful recruiting in the top 50.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

On 4/2/2021 at 11:16 PM, Indykev said:

I was just told Dane Fife will be added to the staff. Trying to work out contract language on him being the next head coach when Woodson is done. This came from no one I have gotten info from before but I wanted to share. Izzo could retire tomorrow. not sure this makes since.

Well appears my guy was right on. Thats the first name he gave me but the same guy said look to the NBA for our next coach not named Stevens. 2 for 2. i didnt believe him but i guess i'll listen closer.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Did anyone listen to Fife on Dakich today?  What did he say?

He discussed the challenges of social media. The understanding the high expectations of Indiana badketball and his approach to recruiting. (Tell kids the truth, if they can't handle it then they are not right for the program)

• Like 1