Assistant Coaches??

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

All those fancy smancy computer chips they were starting to put into cars....probably didn't have anyone that could understand the read out lol.

I'm past this tiring arguement over Yasir. Everyone has said their piece. On both sides. We all got to have our opinion....and absolutely ZERO people changed their mind....per usual. That is fine but we are beating a dead horse here guys. Not saying it is or isn't a big deal what he did but it seems like a done deal. We just move on....and pray to God it all works out....because I'm not sitting through another probation and firing and complete rebuild. Keep our nose clean and stay out of the NCAA crosshairs and lets go win games. If people want to fight this out....put up a poll or something. Not sure we need to rehash it every 10 mins on here. In fact I hope we close this thread once it becomes official lol.

This fanbase, me included just wants to win again but we don't want our success to be from anything negative & that is just how Born Hoosiers are wired!!!  I highly doubt a former Hoosier in CMW, would jeopardize such prestige by messing with a potential NCAA problem but I give him the benefit of the doubt with his NBA ties that he can somehow control or contain these infractions.  The Larry Brown connection can only help with high profile recruits regardless if he hires him or not, recruits read and listen and these two NBA ties can only mean BIG BIG things.  Do we want to WIN again?  Not at the cost of cheating but no way CMW will allow that to happen so lets all just get behind this LOCOMOTIVE.   

5 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

This fanbase, me included just wants to win again but we don't want our success to be from anything negative & that is just how Born Hoosiers are wired!!!  I highly doubt a former Hoosier in CMW, would jeopardize such prestige by messing with a potential NCAA problem but I give him the benefit of the doubt with his NBA ties that he can somehow control or contain these infractions.  The Larry Brown connection can only help with high profile recruits regardless if he hires him or not, recruits read and listen and these two NBA ties can only mean BIG BIG things.  Do we want to WIN again?  Not at the cost of cheating but no way CMW will allow that to happen so lets all just get behind this LOCOMOTIVE.   

rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_developmen

9 hours ago, Muddy River said:

I will tell you that I was friends with Calbert during his Junior year.  The guy didn't have a car at all, he rode to class with me.  He had a milk crate for a TV stand.  Is there a reason the College Player of the Year to be was left out of all of the illicit benefits?  Was there anyone on the team more deserving than him?  I heard a lot of stories similar to the one you told, but they were never first hand, and my own first hand experiences were quite different.  But then again, I'm told I'm naive (I guess I can add dumb as crap to the list as well), so there is that.

Bob Knight did as much as any coach could have done to run a clean program. A distant relative of mine ran a car dealership in Bloomington, and used to loan cars to players all the time in the 50s and 60s, rode on the team plane, watched practice, etc. 

Knight booted him as far out of the program as he could, kicked him off the team plane, out of practice, and ordered the players to stay away from him. Though he eventually became good friends with Knight later, he was never a “friend of the program” again. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

rolling_eyes_lucille_arrested_developmen

I love the fact that CMW is not only a HOOSIER Legend but he somehow led the two most horrible NBA franchises in the last 40 yrs to the playoffs under his watch!  He took over disaster teams that most would've folded but he actually made his teams improve and that speaks volumes to me that this guy can coach his way out of a wet paper bag unlike the prior regimes.  He understands that winning = a great shooting offense that WE ALL HOOSIERS are known to LOVE.  No longer will IU be BROKE when it comes to shooting which is a far cry from the CAM regime.  Add in Fife, Matta and who ever else you want to add and I see plenty Martinis from your pic.

Good to see Sean May get an elevation to assistant coach at UNC.  I know there was talk of him having a chance of coming on at IU.  If Roy doesn’t step down makes you wonder if that would have changed things and our potential coaches.

Happy with Yasir and happy with where we are at.  Just always interested with how one thing could have had a ripple effect here and elsewhere.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, Seeking6 said:

I bet you'll be back. In 30 years of message boards guys always say I'm done....which usually means about 48 hours. 

You know the difference between saying I'm done and I'm taking a break?  I never said I was done and I never said I didn't support the program and wouldn't be back.  I questioned the hire.  It's like several of the posters here were offended that I wasn't immediately 100% on board and the rhetoric was ridiculous enough that I decided to take a break.

We'll see how it works out.  As I said before, I hope it does.

• Like 3

In reading back through the commentary after my hiatus, some of you really need to get a grip and learn how to properly debate.  For anyone questioning the last assistant coach hire, I saw commentary like these:

"We just have some really naive fans."

"Fans are dumb as crap."

"Don’t be naive."

(The above three comments belong on a Kentucky fan board.  I'd hoped we as a fanbase were a little beyond that kind of commentary.)

"Those crimson colored glasses are crazy for some people. They just don't always see reality when looking through them." (So it's wrong to want IU to run a relatively clean program?  Sorry...I don't think that's an unrealistic idea.)

"It's pretty funny seeing the people freak out over this guy." (We aren't freaking out.  Seems like the folks defending the hire are at least as animated in stating their positions.)

"All the handwringing over this hire is ridiculous." (I think living through this program being nuked over a few phone calls makes turning a blind eye to any potential problems equally ridiculous.)

"you don’t know. That’s one problem today, everybody rushes to a judgement based on squat."  (You don't know either.  Raising concerns is a long way from rushing to judgment.)

These kind of reactions were disappointing, and yes...I decided to take a break for awhile rather than pour gasoline on the fire.  I like to see IU win.  I also like to see IU run a fairly clean program.  I don't have a problem creatively stretching the rules, but no...I have no interest in seeing IU hire a "bag man" or blatantly cheating.  Not saying Yasir is that kind of person, at least today, but there's plenty of evidence that he was willing to do whatever was necessary to succeed in the past, rules be damned.

I hope he works out...I really do.  He seems to be a likeable guy and I never root for failure at IU.  I do think it's ridiculous how anyone questioning the hire was immediately shouted down.  I'm no fan of group think and I welcome dissenting opinions and considerate debate.  If this fanbase turns into a win at all costs group-think mob like the toothless hill-jacks south of the Ohio River, I'll probably find something better to do with my time than read garbage comments on fan forums.  I thought we were better than that (especially on this forum) and I still think we are, but man...some of you know how to shake my faith in the fanbase.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

^ Do you have a problem with Fife then too?

I don't know.  What are the accusations?  Again...having concerns doesn't mean I don't hope they succeed and keep their noses clean.  If you're asking if I'd be OK with Fife (or any staff member) committing infractions on IU's behalf, the answer would be no.

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

You know the difference between saying I'm done and I'm taking a break?  I never said I was done and I never said I didn't support the program and wouldn't be back.  I questioned the hire.  It's like several of the posters here were offended that I wasn't immediately 100% on board and the rhetoric was ridiculous enough that I decided to take a break.

We'll see how it works out.  As I said before, I hope it does.

All good! Forgot about it that night!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think this worked out really well across the board.  Again, I give credit to Dolson for handling the situation with aplomb.  He kept Mike on after Archie’s dismissal and kudos to Mike for helping to hold down the fort and to allow for a great transition to Coach Woodson.  

From everything we’ve read, Mike kept communication going with potential recruits to keep the relationships going and to allow for continuity.   Also, he obviously helped with existing players.  

At the same time, Coach Woodson needs to have the staff he is comfortable with, yet they still found a role for Roberts.  So, I give Dolson, Matta, and others credit for all of that.

But then you can’t blame Roberts for going to Cincinnati.  That’s a good job with a head man he has a good relationship with.

I wish Roberts well.  He is a loyal IU soldier and really helped the program out through a tough period. That says a lot for his character.  

Good stuff!  My mind wonders if there will be more movement with some of the admin roles that carried over.  Would be interesting to see if they fill this role and with who. 

• Like 2