Thad Matta

Welcome to IU Coach Matta!

Looks like recruiting will be one of his primary duties- https://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-basketball/2021/03/121961/thad-matta-hired-by-indiana-as-associate-athletic-director-for-mens-basketball-administration

I'm interested to see more of what his duties entail and how the relationships play out. Especially if we bring on a Michael Lewis type. 

Matta's conference experience will be invaluable.  Between him and CMW, they have a ton of contacts in the state and in the game.  I wonder if he wanted a HC job or if he will be happy in this role? Does he stay a year or two and move on or is this what he wants to ease into retirement?

What are looking for out of Matta and see in his future?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

He checks all the boxes CMW doesn't. Knows the college landscape, proven recruiter in the Midwest and knows how to navigate the NCAA. It makes perfect sense. 

No idea the long term vision for Thad, but it seems like a great start to rebuilding.

Good leaders surround themselves with the best people, who fill in the gaps. I love the humility and objective approach CMW/Dolson have to collaborate and build this thing back up in a collective manner. Thad is a great initial piece. 

• Like 5

Stlboiler thinks he's gone after a few years. Personally, I'd be shocked if he is still here in 3-4 years. I think he will make his mark and look to move on either as an AD or head coach.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I honestly wonder if he wants to be an AD down the road. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see him take over at Butler once Collier retires. 

4 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

im not familiar with all the rules with the coaches and their positions, but is there any restrictions on his duties since he is an assistant AD and not technically on the basketball staff? Like i imagine you wouldnt see him on the bench. 

He can’t actively recruit nor coach. He’s basically a consultant to help Woodson transition to the college game. 

As far as recruiting, I think it is he can't travel and probably can't call. I think when they come to campus for official visits (maybe even unofficial) then he can be involved while they're on campus. Of course, that's moot at the moment because there are no athletic visits happening.

34 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

As far as recruiting, I think it is he can't travel and probably can't call. I think when they come to campus for official visits (maybe even unofficial) then he can be involved while they're on campus. Of course, that's moot at the moment because there are no athletic visits happening.

I assume he will be going through the portal and watching film of those players

Matta has been a winner. He also strikes me as a no BS type of coach. I am sure he’s going through tape and he’s not going to let us continue to struggle at a couple of spots.  

And I don’t think Woody is going to let players get really comfortable without playing well.  That’s a long way of saying I 100% expect a couple of differences in our lineup. 

Joe Hillman mentioned this on JMV.  He said a watershed statement by Woody was when he said transferring was a two way street.  I’d love to get back to that.  Babying underperforming players is politically correct but a hallmark of losing.  Hopefully we can get back to more of a demanding culture.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 4

On 3/29/2021 at 2:17 PM, Reacher said:

Stlboiler thinks he's gone after a few years. Personally, I'd be shocked if he is still here in 3-4 years. I think he will make his mark and look to move on either as an AD or head coach.

That's fine, I'll wish him well if that happens. 

I assume it's either because things went really well here and he is healthy, or Woodson flopped and he is healthy so he takes over as coach here. Obviously I prefer the former, but if he is healthy enough to coach and wants to I have to figure that's good for us one way or another. 

• Like 2