Rebranding

I have no problem with the candy stripes.  What I do have a problem with is not having names on the uniform, mainly because I think recruits care about that.  For me, I couldn't care less, but if recruits want it then do it.  Its not 1993 anymore.

Do whatever it takes to get Nike when the Adidas contract is up even if it means less money.  Players love swag and Nike is the best at that.  I like some things Adidas does, but the most recent changes to our uniform a few years back are horrendous looking.  Removing the ribbing from the jersey around the arms and neck, widening the shoulder on the jersey, and adding the big stripes on the shorts looks so bad.  Look at the Celtics/Lakers, I've always thought IU had that same clean classic look, now it looks awful.  Adidas just does a terrible job keeping up with trends that 18-22 year olds desire. Literally all the NBA teams have gone the direction of our old style, and then we go with the new dopey Adidas look-makes no sense. Add some alternates with the cursive Indiana script or the Bison. Change is okay, I promise.

Let the players pick most of the music played in AH.  It may anger some old guys, but it needs to be updated. Love the pep band, don't mess with that.

Get more NBA players on campus. I think with Woodson's connections we will be seeing more NBA/Ex Nba players around.  UK brings back NBA all stars and has well known musicians at their games.  Its not a huge deal, but I think it adds to the aura of having a cool up to date program.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

These were from a guy on Twitter and I loved the design of them.  A bit mixed on the black, but they were all based on uni's of the past for IU and our various logos.  Gives an idea though on how you can pay respect to the past, while also modernizing our branding going forward.

jerseys.png

The 4 on the right suck imo. Just take the two on the left.... and make them into a black jersey. Boom... there is your alternate. White lettering and pitchfork, black everything else. 

15 hours ago, Sea Turtle said:

Since we are apparently rebranding, we should:

Bring back Hurryin'. It's got a cool runnin' rebels ring to it that I think recruits will like.

Bring back the Bison mascot. We are like the only team that doesn't have a mascot. I think the kids in the stands would like it.

New jerseys.

Names on jerseys.

As long as the candy stripes stay, change whatever needs to be changed to win.

25 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The 4 on the right suck imo. Just take the two on the left.... and make them into a black jersey. Boom... there is your alternate. White lettering and pitchfork, black everything else. 

I like the two in the middle with the cursive sript, reminds me of Illinois' alternate which i really liked.

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Meh.  Agree to disagree and all good.  If we go the alternate route, there are going to be differing opinions, but I like integrating the Cursive Indiana, "I", or "IU" script on our jerseys.  These were also just meant as a starting point to show what is possible.

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

Meh.  Agree to disagree and all good.  If we go the alternate route, there are going to be differing opinions, but I like integrating the Cursive Indiana script on our jerseys.  These were also just meant as a starting point to show what is possible.

There is no alternate to it though. It's just different writing. No one will ever notice. I get the not being keen on a black jersey/different jersey, but the recruits like it. They like it a lot. I liked the ones we wore against KU a couple of years ago, as well. 

Just now, btownqb said:

There is no alternate to it though. It's just different writing. No one will ever notice. I get the not being keen on a black jersey/different jersey, but the recruits like it. They like it a lot. I liked the ones we wore against KU a couple of years ago, as well. 

I wouldn't mind a black alternate one bit.

Just now, btownqb said:

Understood, but I think you can take some of the ideas, then go further with these.  I mean, they were taken off twitter from a person who I am not sure is in the apparel design business.  Just thought it was pertinent to furthering this discussion.

Just now, IUALUM03 said:

Understood, but I think you can take some of the ideas, then go further with these.  I mean, they were taken off twitter from a person who I am not sure is in the apparel design business.  Just thought it was pertinent to furthering this discussion.

Absolutely it's pertinent. I was just offering my opinion. But... who am I to offer fashion advice to? I wear a visor everywhere (mostly to p*** my fiancé off). 

No names and candy stripes stay. I think everything else is on the table. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I honestly hate the cursive writing on a jersey. Hate cursive writing though... maybe because I had to teach it to 3rd graders at one point in my life. 😆

Lakers, bulls, sixers, clippers, warriors have all done cursive alternates.  I wouldn't want them wearing it every game, but its not a bad idea for an alternate that would appeal to everyone.

Just now, HoobieDoobie said:

Lakers, bulls, sixers, clippers, warriors have all done cursive alternates.  I wouldn't want them wearing it every game, but its not a bad idea for an alternate that would appeal to everyone.

But... all of those teams have MULTIPLE alternates. "I'm going to COMPLETELY changed my appearance, but today I wore my white Nikes instead of my grey Nikes" .... that's my point. Go cursive with a grey uniform, heck idk. Something more than just changing the writing. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I read your comment wrong the first time, but I hate that helmet that is shown above lol hate. We look like we're playing for Satan. 

I'm with you on that one. I don't really care a whole lot. Let the players vote on their alternate jersey for all I care. Kids love this kinda stuff. I mean Notre Dame has some ugly alternate unis but if the kids love it so be it. Heck ever seen Oregon's...neon stuff...but I honestly think kids eat it up. Look at the basketball shoes kids go for. I don't think a uni change would ever make guys like you or me happy...but we aren't who they are for...so if it would change how we are perceived then go for it....but I would be willing to bet with Mike in charge that ain't happening anytime soon!

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But... all of those teams have MULTIPLE alternates. "I'm going to COMPLETELY changed my appearance, but today I wore my white Nikes instead of my grey Nikes" .... that's my point. Go cursive with a grey uniform, heck idk. Something more than just changing the writing. 

You know this fanbase, im trying to think in baby steps to modernization lol

To be clear, uniforms are probably the most obvious of the rebranding.  The other aspects would be making sure our apparel is being pushed by Adidas like Kansas, UofL, etc. is currently along with making sure we turn Indiana into a national brand.  This happens by being part of tourney's like the Champions classic, instead of the Crossroads Classic.  It's no coincidence that when Michigan State and Ohio State starting representing them B1G in these type of events, our profile sunk. More neutral court games would be a plus in my opinion as well.  It was a tremendous mistake and short-sighted on our part.

1 minute ago, IUALUM03 said:

To be clear, uniforms are probably the most obvious of the rebranding.  The other aspects would be making sure our apparel is being pushed by Adidas like Kansas, UofL, etc. is currently along with making sure we turn Indiana into a national brand.  This happens by being part of tourney's like the Champions classic, instead of the Crossroads Classic.  It's no coincidence that when Michigan State and Ohio State starting representing them B1G in these type of events, our profile sunk. More neutral court games would be a plus in my opinion as well.  It was a tremendous mistake and short-sighted on our part.

I think half the problem was we aren't seen as elite anymore so the invites to those types of events never came.

3 minutes ago, HoobieDoobie said:

I think half the problem was we aren't seen as elite anymore so the invites to those types of events never came.

They did come.  We turned down spots in both or at least one. I can't remember because it has been long, but was due to our commitment to the Crossrorads Classic.  I want to say it was the Champions classic.

Archived