Rebranding

On 3/31/2021 at 2:59 PM, cybergates said:

I thought about that this season when we were playing terrible that these players have nothing to do with the 5 banners. An alternative might be to let them earn up to 5 stars during their career (similar to football helmet stickers). 

Maybe everytime they make a 3 we can add a star to their shorts.....the current team would easily have room for their honorable shooting achievements!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, MoyeCowbell said:

I think we need to stop the pearl-clutching and embrace updating the look...

You guys can help me out here, but thinking through all the major sports (pro & amateur), I believe only the Yankees and Dodgers (and to a lesser extent Alabama & Penn State fb) have maintained the 'same' look throughout the years. All other teams, including historic ones (Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Giants, Patriots, etc) have altered their looks and embraced variants.

I know we want to honor our tradition. That's fine. But the real honor is playing winning basketball and hanging a cream and crimson banner #6 on the wall.

Let's have alternate jerseys. Let's have a dedicated student section that surrounds the court. Let's update the band's attire. Let's make Assembly Hall a rollicking, Mad Max: Fury Road / THUNDERDOME where other teams come in and get their a$$e$ whooped on the regular. 

Maybe it is just Indiana...I know the Pacers have changed theirs a little but the Colts unis have been iconic and look great! When you get something right why mess with it. I think for the most part ours are really good....just need a small tweeking. That said I have absolutely no problem with an alternate uniform for say Maui Inv, Crossroads classic, ACC challenge etc.

In my opinion if you want to rebrand IU you need to win ball games. It has nothing to do with unis, AH, Addidas etc. It's about winning games and then leveraging IUs huge history and ability to draw eyes. We absolutely need to either swap the Crossroads classic for a national champions style classic pitting say IU/UCLA/UL/Villanova or Syracure/UConn or something like that. Have to get back to playing UK....it's a must!! I know we all want to act like "screw UK" etc but the fact is they are always in the National spotlight. The game when we played was always prominent in the national spotlight like UNC vs Duke. First off there would be a bidding war by TV like Fox and ESPN but do it big and get us on in primetime again! The only other thing would be to go with a different tourney (but keep it local) and go with IU/OSU/UL/UK and we alternate UL/UK and those two alternate OSU/IU. But some how we have to get UK back on our schedule and get us on a big time ESPN showcase. We need to build it back so we can leverage our name and do things like UK and Duke do to get national media attention like the Coach K series or the UK preseason tour. That is branding.....our brand is success...IU basketball...and we need to rebuild our image. It is going to take winning to do it but after that it's going to take vision and some moves by our AD and Coach to rebuild our image in the national media and sports world so we can leverage it to get players and attention from across the country.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Maybe it is just Indiana...I know the Pacers have changed theirs a little but the Colts unis have been iconic and look great! When you get something right why mess with it. I think for the most part ours are really good....just need a small tweeking. That said I have absolutely no problem with an alternate uniform for say Maui Inv, Crossroads classic, ACC challenge etc.

I would agree, and I think the same goes with the Packers.  When you find something that looks great/iconic don't mess with it. Then mix in some fun alternates, which I don't think have to be used for just special tournaments.  If the guys want to wear a particular uniform for a big game let them.  We used to love getting to pick our HS football uniforms for rivalry games, just adds a little something for the players that doesn't harm anyone or any traditions.

Archived