Roy Williams

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This guy’s going to take over at UNC?  Good luck... I’m really going to enjoy the message board wars over whether UNC and Duke are still blue bloods in 30 years.

UNC’s Rivals board think Stevens is coming to UNC, rumor mill is strong. Rumor is a press conference Tuesday 

Also, the vetting odds skyrocketed in favor for Hubert the last 3 days. Hell, this morning is was at -110 and now -150. If it’s not Davis, it will be a UNC guy

I’m curious to see how schools like UNC (and inevitably Duke and ‘Cuse soon) handle these searches. Unfortunately as IU fans we’ve gotten pretty experienced with them. The bottom line is that it’s not as easy as it seems. Every realistic coach has questions and concerns. 

On 4/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, Seeking6 said:

Sounds to me like Roy basically fired himself. Interesting he mentioned Tony Bennett. 

I think he saw the future of what the NCAA is going to be. NIL and open transfers no more OAD, g league and changing landscape of the game he is losing touch and doesn’t want to go out as an out of touch coach. Probably a smart thing.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Got an alert that says that UNC is going to hire Hubert Davis as their next coach

Yeah it looks like that is happening. A pretty underwhelming hire in my opinion. Now maybe another team will see how hard it is to replace an all time great coach.

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

But no other program would have even looked at Hubert Davis as their coach. They only hired him because he has ties to the university.

UNC fans were kidding themselves about who they could get...they had to settle (etc., etc., etc.)

He may do just fine there, but the narrative on the Indiana job was horse manure.

17 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Maybe we'll see how smart it is to replace the all time great with an "in the family" guy.  

13 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Maybe or maybe we will see how stupid it is. 👍 😁

Well, let's see...

Since Dean Smith retired, they've hired "in the family" every time. One (Doherty) was a bad hire. They put up with that for 2 years and were done with him. It's worked for them. They've never had their "blue blood" status questioned.

Our hires since RMK was fired haven't been anywhere close to "in the family" and it's got us on the border of being an afterthought...

Maybe WE are the ones that needed the lesson...

FWIW, I think Hubert Davis will do well at UNC...And if he doesn't, there are a few of  the "in family" guys (Stackhouse, Miller) to replace him...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, let's see...

Since Dean Smith retired, they've hired "in the family" every time. One (Doherty) was a bad hire. They put up with that for 2 years and were done with him. It's worked for them. They've never had their "blue blood" status questioned.

Our hires since RMK was fired haven't been anywhere close to "in the family" and it's got us on the border of being an afterthought...

Maybe WE are the ones that needed the lesson...

FWIW, I think Hubert Davis will do well at UNC...And if he doesn't, there are a few of  the "in family" guys (Stackhouse, Miller) to replace him...

Davis was an assistant under Knight for 3 years. That is "close" to "in the family."

Archived