Roy Williams

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Texas has reportedly got Beard

Busy week on the coaching front...Kinda been suspected all along...He has a lot of talent coming back at Texas, but you have to wonder how many kids at both schools will go to the portal...

KT Turner might help there if we get him to Bloomington...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Watch it be somebody like Kenny Smith with George Karl as an assistant and Mitch Kupchak as AD of basketball operations. haha. 

I don’t watch the TNT studio shows that often, but Kenny might be the smartest basketball analyst on TV. He’s really sharp.  I’ve heard some of his thoughts in terms of game action literally come to fruition right away.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Thanks.  Lot of big jobs changing hands.  And with the massive transfer portal, it’s shaping up as quite a tumultuous off-season.  

Coach K and Bill Self might as well move on too.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would put money on Wes Miller

How much?

I think Hubert Davis was specifically recruited by Williams to fill his spot once he decided to retire...He didn't leave his cushy analyst job at ESPN for nothing...

But we'll see...

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks.  Lot of big jobs changing hands.  And with the massive transfer portal, it’s shaping up as quite a tumultuous off-season.  

Coach K and Bill Self might as well move on too.  

When I looked at your statement, I pictured both Coach K and Self seeing the Williams headline, and saying, "Eh, what the hell."

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Your point. I don't think I said Mike Woodson is not our coach or our guy. If you don't think people will go crazy over that then I don't know what to say. 

Totally agree.  Some will and some won't.  If Mike Woodson was hired somewhere else than some would go crazy over that.

We got a guy that wouldn't sniff college if it didn't have IU as its team 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Totally agree.  Some will and some won't.  If Mike Woodson was hired somewhere else than some would go crazy over that.

We got a guy that wouldn't sniff college if it didn't have IU as its team 

I for one am glad to have Woodson and think 5 years from now we as fans can look back and think why we some of us so worried about this hire. Like you I want tyhe guy that wants to be here and has the ability to win. ;Same goes for players IMO

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rico said:

You really can't blame UNC for going after Stevens.  Why wouldn't they?  But TBH, I think they should give Doherty a second chance.

What's interesting is that, reading a few board, some say Stevens couldn't get out of his contract.   Now, I don't beleive that is true, but if he becomes a candidate - I think we as fans who grasp to everything need to pause a little before making things gospel.

But, no doubt Stevens would do well, probably.  

9 minutes ago, rico said:

If they think there is a better coach?  Yes.  But Stevens ain't going to Chapel Hill.  Doherty is.  LOL

I don't know...they're ate up with loyalty there (not that there's anything wrong with loyalty)...I remember when Guthridge was hired one of the ESPN talking heads asked Williams if he was disappointed that he got "passed over." He said something to the effect that if they had tried to get him to UNC at that time, he would have turned them down flat, and that Coach "Gut" deserved the position...

That's why I think Hubert Davis is the hands down favorite for the job now...

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

I don't know...they're ate up with loyalty there (not that there's anything wrong with loyalty)...I remember when Guthridge was hired one of the ESPN talking heads asked Williams if he was disappointed that he got "passed over." He said something to the effect that if they had tried to get him to UNC at that time, he would have turned them down flat, and that Coach "Gut" deserved the position...

That's why I think Hubert Davis is the hands down favorite for the job now...

I understand.  The Davis name IS Tar Heel basketball.  

• Like 1

I was indifferent with Roy for most of my watching his teams play life. Seemed like a genuine guy but some of those Kansas teams had some shade around them. I will say after his team visited IU/Bloomington for a game he was very, very complimentary of our crowd and IU. Even suggested he wished North Carolina could have an atmosphere like that besides when they played  Duke.

Wish him luck in retirement. Can't imagine anyone besides Hubert Davis getting the gig.

• Like 1