What is needed to be a threat

With the portal system, I believe it will be possible for a lot of teams to be a threat for the Final Four next year if they can get the right players to fit their team.  So with that in mind, I think IU needs 2 players from the portal that are better than Armaan was last year. They both need to be good to great 3 pt shooters, and preferably one is an athletic wing and the other a PG.  Regardless of position though, adding 2 really good shooters to the team and I think the Hoosiers are a Final 4 contender.  Three shooters if Armaan leaves.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Goose said:

With the portal system, I believe it will be possible for a lot of teams to be a threat for the Final Four next year if they can get the right players to fit their team.  So with that in mind, I think IU needs 2 players from the portal that are better than Armaan was last year. They both need to be good to great 3 pt shooters, and preferably one is an athletic wing and the other a PG.  Regardless of position though, adding 2 really good shooters to the team and I think the Hoosiers are a Final 4 contender.  Three shooters if Armaan leaves.

Don't ignore that Stewart could very well be one of those shooters. 

I'd love the kid from Va Tech; him, Armaan, Stewart, Hunter, and Leal could all shoot north of 40%. 

Add in some more confidence from guys like Lander and Rob to get into the mid 30s and I think we could be looking at a team that can really stroke it and open up space for TJD. 

• Like 3

I think the most pressing need is size, length, athleticism and shot making on the wings. 

While we all complained about the guards and shooting, rightfully so, IU really didn't even have true wings last year. 

If Woodson can get Phinisee and Lander back, we're good there when you also add in Stewart and hopefully Franklin as guards. 

We're good inside with TJD, Duncomb, Brunk and hopefully Race. 

Hunter is more of a stretch 4, spot up shooter. Franklin is really more of a combo guard, Leal is basically a spot up shooter, Galloway comes close but he's not over long and struggles to score. 

IU needs a Troy Williams type. A long, athletic wing who can get to the basket and finish strong while also being at least a threat from 3. 

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

1 or 2 knock down shooters. Imagine the impact TJD will have on the league if defense had to worry about perimeter shooting. Must have someone that can just go get a bucket  at will. I hope that is Franklin 

That's the thing and key here. If we have shooters that have to be respected....TJD won't have a double team to worry about every single time down the floor. I know it will be different styles but I keep going back to our 2002 team. Shooters in Fife, Hornsby, Coverdale,etc....allowed JJ and Newton to have tons of space. At least I think that's what Coach Woodson is seeking for TJD.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing and key here. If we have shooters that have to be respected....TJD won't have a double team to worry about every single time down the floor. I know it will be different styles but I keep going back to our 2002 team. Shooters in Fife, Hornsby, Coverdale,etc....allowed JJ and Newton to have tons of space. At least I think that's what Coach Woodson is seeking for TJD.

Shooting cures a lot

• Like 5

It starts with coaches who value shooting, and can teach correct form.  The coaches themselves must understand it, teach it, and maximize it in games.

We've lacked that in the coaching staff for 4 long years.  It started when Archie announced the team would practice defense 75% of the time, and offense 25%.

I can't imagine how frustrating it was for players to lift weights and focus on defense, then get called out for poor shooting by Archie (which he did).

Edited by Madison22
  • Like 5

23 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

To be a serious threat on a national level. 

I think Woody will have to field all new starters except TJD and Franklin (if he stays).

PG needs a major upgrade. Lander will need to make a big jump. Rob isn't it

Does Stewart count in that?

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think the most pressing need is size, length, athleticism and shot making on the wings. 

While we all complained about the guards and shooting, rightfully so, IU really didn't even have true wings last year. 

If Woodson can get Phinisee and Lander back, we're good there when you also add in Stewart and hopefully Franklin as guards. 

We're good inside with TJD, Duncomb, Brunk and hopefully Race. 

Hunter is more of a stretch 4, spot up shooter. Franklin is really more of a combo guard, Leal is basically a spot up shooter, Galloway comes close but he's not over long and struggles to score. 

IU needs a Troy Williams type. A long, athletic wing who can get to the basket and finish strong while also being at least a threat from 3. 

Someone like Brian Evans

• Like 1

I still haven't given up on Rob Phinisee...

He has the tools...strength, athleticism, and we know he's a belly button to belly button defender...I don't think anyone in good conscious can say he doesn't more than hold up his end on the defensive end...

He just needs that confidence to get back. I'm not looking for him to score a lot...as Coach Woody said, you can do other things to help win games...

3 of the really interesting conversations to me would be between Coach Woody, Rob, Trey, and Anthony...I'd love to hear what he told those guys...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Stewart needs to be an upgrade to what we had on the floor for this year.   In my mind, I have him as starting this coming year

I agree. So really we need to upgrade two more spots, one of which could be Lander playing to his potential. 

I'd love to land Xavier Johnson and Cole Zwider; we would be formidable. 

• Like 5

Just now, IUFLA said:

I still haven't given up on Rib Phinisee...

He has the tools...strength, athleticism, and we know he's a belly button to belly button defender...I don't think anyone in good conscious can say he doesn't more than hold up his end on the defensive end...

He just needs that confidence to get back. I'm not looking for him to score a lot...as Coach Woody said, you can do other things to help win games...

3 of the really interesting conversations to me would be between Coach Woody, Rob, Trey, and Anthony...I'd love to hear what he told those guys...

Point guards that are negatives on offense can't help you win games. He doesn't have to score but he does have to actually initiate an offense that scores, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that in a long time. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Point guards that are negatives on offense can't help you win games. He doesn't have to score but he does have to actually initiate an offense that scores, and he hasn't shown the ability to do that in a long time. 

New coach, new philosophy...could be just what the Dr ordered...

• Like 1

I’m hoping Coach Woodson will be just the cure Rob needs, I’m not getting down on Archie, you would imagine a good coach could get a player out of s funk. Rob had a pretty decent Freshman campaign- last couple years- looks like he lost his touch and confidence after injuries. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H00sier said:

I’m hoping Coach Woodson will be just the cure Rob needs, I’m not getting down on Archie, you would imagine a good coach could get a player out of s funk. Rob had a pretty decent Freshman campaign- last couple years- looks like he lost his touch and confidence after injuries. 

I think Rob struggled with decision making in CAM's offense (and if TJD did offer up a veiled criticism of CAM in his presser yesterday, that was it). Something a little more free flowing and not as restrictive might just be a boon for him...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I disagree.  A pg in this day and age better be able to score.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

That may be more of a pass down from Archie. I think with the right psychy for RP, he could be more than serviceable. He has shown that he can get to the rim and shoot the three ball average or shortly above. I think Woodson could instill a confidence within RP to make him a borderline starter, if not a very good bench player depending how everything else shakes out. If he can get his mind right, he has shown he can be a important piece.

Everyone wants to throw away players and bank on the transfer portal. Lets keep what we have and fill the other ?3? scholarships with (better) players. If not, we still have RP and Armaan, and lander, and whomever else. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

That may be more of a pass down from Archie. I think with the right psychy for RP, he could be more than serviceable. He has shown that he can get to the rim and shoot the three ball average or shortly above. I think Woodson could instill a confidence within RP to make him a borderline starter, if not a very good bench player depending how everything else shakes out. If he can get his mind right, he has shown he can be a important piece.

Everyone wants to throw away players and bank on the transfer portal. Lets keep what we have and fill the other ?3? scholarships with (better) players. If not, we still have RP and Armaan, and lander, and whomever else. 

I don't think we should throw away RP.  Just saying to make a deep run in the NCAA,  our offense can't look like a BIG Ten O, and our current group of guards aren't good enough...  RP off the bench is just fine

• Like 1