The Final Four

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

I will give them Auburn but the rest, could they beat the twice?  

I would say so because they killed each one of them except for W.Virginia. I did not say they would go undefeated in the power conference but I think they would win all of them.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Nobody is saying they would go undefeated in the power conferences but they would win them

THIS year, yes.  I would agree they would be a favorite to win about any conference in the country. 

...but they would be a longshot to go undefeated.  In that regard it's hard to argue their weak conference has not been a huge aid in their quest.

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Not gonna lie, I'm in denial.  If they win out what does IU have left legacy wise. Nothing.  

It's up to Woody to restore hope, which no matter what happens I believe he can do it. 

Totally get it man. I don't personally care if they go undefeated but I get that I'm in the minority of IU fans on that; or at least die hard IU fans. 

I do think Woody is proving pretty quickly he has the chops for the job. He'll have to prove it on the court, but I love everything he's done thus far. 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

THIS year, yes.  I would agree they would be a favorite to win about any conference in the country. 

...but they would be a longshot to go undefeated.  In that regard it's hard to argue their weak conference has not been a huge aid in their quest.

Thanks for the help. I haven't articulated well, in a normal human year we all are used to, no way in hell would Gonzaga ever go undefeated.  IU did it last. 

UNC did it too and Sam Gilbert paid for all of UCLA'S championships.

That's why the 76 season is so special.  Bobby did it right and clean. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Totally get it man. I don't personally care if they go undefeated but I get that I'm in the minority of IU fans on that; or at least die hard IU fans. 

I do think Woody is proving pretty quickly he has the chops for the job. He'll have to prove it on the court, but I love everything he's done thus far. 

I wasnt sure at first but after his press conference and the TJD interview, I'm stoked. Really feeling hopefull for the future.  

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It would bother me more of we were the only team to have went undefeated but we are not the only ones.

Do teams before 1985 when they expanded the tournament have an * by their wins. Back then you had byes and could win 2 or 3 games and make the final four.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It would bother me more of we were the only team to have went undefeated but we are not the only ones.

Do teams before 1985 when they expanded the tournament have an * by their wins. Back then you had byes and could win 2 or 3 games and make the final four.

I would give UNC some credit because they did it twice I believe last time in 1956?

But screw all of UCLA'S championships and undefeated seasons.  John Wooden didn't do sh$t for like 16 years and out of nowhere he wins 10 championships and what, 6 or 7 undefeated seasons? Bullshit.  Sam Gilbert paid for that. *

5 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I would give UNC some credit because they did it twice I believe last time in 1956?

But screw all of UCLA'S championships and undefeated seasons.  John Wooden didn't do sh$t for like 16 years and out of nowhere he wins 10 championships and what, 6 or 7 undefeated seasons? Bullshit.  Sam Gilbert paid for that. *

How about San Francisco

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

In addition, I think the tournament had many fewer teams. The tournament was not seeded in the same way so UCLA always played in the West Regional and had to beat teams like Weber State to get to the final four. There were no ACC or Big 10 teams sent west

Haven't had a chance to read comments from game last night yet. All I'll say is I don't know where that game ranks in all time tourney game history but I know it's up there. Unreal game honestly and hate for UCLA to lose.

Proves one more thing when teams poo poo our history, final fours, our titles......it just shows how absolutely difficult is to win a title. 

12 minutes ago, rd726 said:

Hard to root for Baylor, but I am.  I think if Gonzaga had a loss (and maybe didn’t have that, IMO, annoying Timme) I would be rooting for them.🤷‍♂️

Just my $.02 😊🤔

My rooting for Baylor is selfish only. Have them in 400 person pool where I can finish 9th and get some loot. Secondly....our 76 team.

On the flip side my cousin went to Gonzaga so I'm cheering for his fandom. Just glad we have the 2 best teams all year long playing for a title.

10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't personally care if they go undefeated but I get that I'm in the minority of IU fans on that; or at least die hard IU fans. 

To be honest I don't care all that much either. It would be different if IU were the only one to ever do it, but I think it's been done seven times. IU has a rich legacy and not  just that season.

I always give my brother and nephews a hard time because they are Miami Dolphins fans and they really hold on to their undefeated season like it's the only thing the Dolphins have ever accomplished. 

so mixed for me.  i'd be for Gonzaga for every reason other than our 76 team.  i picked them in the pols i am in and would finish 1st in one and 2nd in the other if the Zags win.  i like Few.  i have nothing against their players.  the Hanner Perea thing is tough to get over with Baylor.  it's also hard for me to believe Drew got them here being clean.  all that said, i really don't want another undefeated team!

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Haven't had a chance to read comments from game last night yet. All I'll say is I don't know where that game ranks in all time tourney game history but I know it's up there. Unreal game honestly and hate for UCLA to lose.

Proves one more thing when teams poo poo our history, final fours, our titles......it just shows how absolutely difficult is to win a title. 

It should rank right up there with some of the best games of all time

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

Well we got the game we all want. If it’s half as exciting as this one we will be in for a treat. UCLA gave us like 3 or 4 of the best games of this tournament.

They played great, just p---ed me off against Alabama.  Cost me about $800 in parlays

Two things about a tougher conference. One is you have to play a grind and sometimes it’s the fact it’s back to back to back tough games. Second is you play teams twice....once on the road in their home stadium. 3rd in a normal year with fans road games are much more difficult. A team gets up 10 sometimes the momentum is hard to get back etc. Winning them all is quite an accomplishment...doing it in a lesser conference doesn’t make it less but it also doesn’t make the team better than other teams in the past. Also doing it this year is also kind of an outlier because many teams didn’t respond well to not having prep time (young teams more effected) and no crowds make it a unique circumstance. Heck even that game last night it’s hard to know how people react if the crowd is going crazy and players can’t hear or get rattled. I don’t think it’s nearly as a great of a feat but I am not saying it isn’t impressive. If they beat Baylor they are clearly the best team this year and there is no arguing that.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, BGleas said:

Yeah, you definitely don't want to foul, but nobody even approached him until past half court. 

As you said, you gotta make him turn or something. He dribbled straight up the middle of the court uncontested. 

You can see Cronin yelling to pick him up. 

Part of making it through the "grind" of a tough conference is health. Can you stay healthy all year and then can you win without a couple of your key guys when they go down...and you will have injuries playing in the B1G...that is for sure. You aren't going through this conference unscathed. I mean look at how Iowa, Ohio St, and Michigan etc all limped into the tournament all suffering injuries to rotation guys...or in Livers case the best player on your team. Beating teams by 20-30 pts and playing against smaller teams and coasting....it does save your body a lot. All that said...if they win it all...they are a deserving champion this year and clear best team in college basketball. I think Baylor will give them a run for their money like UCLA did...I hope both teams play well...if they both do we could get another gem of a game.

Archived