The Final Four

Just now, TheWatShot said:

I've always felt refs know how many fouls key players have. These refs know Suggs has two, and none of them want to be the guy that calls #3 in the first half. 

And Suggs absolutely fouled the Baylor player going for that loose ball on the sideline a minute or two ago. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'd like to see that circle under the basket get scrapped or figure something out to make it more fair. I hate seeing blatant charges that the defensive player can't avoid get called blocks just because it's in an arbitrary circle.

It's not really arbitrary though. You shouldn't be able to take a charge standing underneath the hoop. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not really arbitrary though. You shouldn't be able to take a charge standing underneath the hoop. 

I get what you're saying, but you also shouldn't be able to lower a shoulder and barrel over a guy and get a foul called on him just because it's within five feet of the basket. It's an inherently unfair rule.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

I'd like to see that circle under the basket get scrapped or figure something out to make it more fair. I hate seeing blatant charges that the defensive player can't avoid get called blocks just because it's in an arbitrary circle.

Me to, I hate that circle.  That is all the refs look at and not whether the player is there in time

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, rogue3542 said:

I get what you're saying, but you also shouldn't be able to lower a shoulder and barrel over a guy and get a foul called on him just because it's within five feet of the basket. It's an inherently unfair rule.

It's also unfair to call a charge on a guy when the defender is standing underneath the hoop, and that used to get called all of the time in college basketball before the circle was put in. 

My opinion is that refs are horrible at calling charges, and often call mostly bogus charges (see the first foul on Suggs tonight), so anything that protects the offensive player is good with me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John S said:

My halftime prediction.  Bears shooting cools off, Zags cut down mistakes and close the gap to 1-2 posession by 6minute mark.  Bears will tire and this goes down to the wire.  Flip a coin, but i think Zags pull it out.   This is fun to watch.  

Agree. I'd actually be surprised at this point if Gonzaga doesn't win. Those last few minutes of the half were huge. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agreed. Most charges are blocks...as we saw with the first call on Suggs. That said he was guarding his man and Suggs really barreled into him more than him sliding underneath it. We shouldn’t need the circle honestly but because how refs officiate and reward defenders for sliding under a layup they’ve had to put it in to prevent even more bad calls from refs. If the guy is in legal guarding position and the offensive player initiates the contact by jumping into him it should be a charge reguardless of where it is on the floor. Guy can’t help it his man also was standing under the rim. It wasn’t an awful call it had to be made given the rules. The missed call was when Mitchell knocked the ball away and as they both went after the ball Suggs threw a shoulder and arm bar knocking him out of bounds to get the ball....but with two fouls on a star the refs weren’t going to call a third.

• Like 1