The Final Four

Just now, IU Scott said:

Why? It is called defense.  If they are set before the offensive player goes up it shouldn't matter where you are located

Because when you take a charge standing under the basket it's not on the way up, it's on the way down. Refs are horrible at calling that so they had to put the line in to stop them from themselves. 

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Because when you take a charge standing under the basket it's not on the way up, it's on the way down. Refs are horrible at calling that so they had to put the line in to stop them from themselves. 

Agree to disagree with you on this. What if a guy is driving all the way across the baseline and the defender is under the basket and the driver runs over him but he is in the circle

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's also unfair to call a charge on a guy when the defender is standing underneath the hoop, and that used to get called all of the time in college basketball before the circle was put in. 

My opinion is that refs are horrible at calling charges, and often call mostly bogus charges (see the first foul on Suggs tonight), so anything that protects the offensive player is good with me. 

Yeah...I feel ya. To me I think it’s really there to prevent injuries on guys up in the air and telling defenders don’t try to slide under you will NEVER get that call so don’t try it..thus protecting players from injury not charge calls imo. It wouldn’t be necessary though if refs wouldn’t have created the problem with bad officiating though.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I feel ya. To me I think it’s really there to prevent injuries on guys up in the air and telling defenders don’t try to slide under you will NEVER get that call so don’t try it..thus protecting players from injury not charge calls imo. It wouldn’t be necessary though if refs wouldn’t have created the problem with bad officiating though.

Or how about players learn yo come  to a jump stop and go up with a 10 foot shot in the lane instead of going all the way to the basket

Just now, IU Scott said:

Agree to disagree with you on this. What if a guy is driving all the way across the baseline and the defender is under the basket and the driver runs over him but he is in the circle

That's not what we're talking about. I don't believe the circle counts on a play like that. 

To @dgambill points, the rule is to prevent defenders from sliding underneath, to prevent injuries and to prevent refs from sucking at calling charges less than they already do. 

You absolutely should not be able to stand underneath the basket and take a charge on a shot attempt. 

Just now, BGleas said:

That's not what we're talking about. I don't believe the circle counts on a play like that. 

To @dgambill points, the rule is to prevent defenders from sliding underneath, to prevent injuries and to prevent refs from sucking at calling charges less than they already do. 

You absolutely should not be able to stand underneath the basket and take a charge on a shot attempt. 

Like I said I just disagree with that

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I doubt you could find very many, if any, basketball players that would agree with you. 

Tell you the truth I don't care and zi just get tired of them changing all the rules of how the game was supposed to be sued.  Go back and count the basket if they let the ball go before the charge like they use to.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Tell you the truth I don't care and zi just get tired of them changing all the rules of how the game was supposed to be sued.  Go back and count the basket if they let the ball go before the charge like they use to.

you crack me up Scott.  i pretty much disagree with you all of the time, but you and your buddy IUFLA are always sure you're view is right.  i actually agree that there should be baskets that count on charge calls though.  

It won’t be the last controversial charge call lol. Refs just suck at them. They always look at where the play ends up (with the offensive player bowling over the defender) instead of where the play was when the offensive player left his feet (is the defender still sliding over or set).

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It won’t be the last controversial charge call lol. Refs just suck at them. They always look at where the play ends up (with the offensive player bowling over the defender) instead of where the play was when the offensive player left his feet (is the defender still sliding over or set).

That's the big thing, refs are so awful at calling charges, especially at the collegiate level, that you have to do things to protect and favor the offense. Collegiate refs literally hunt charges to call and most of the time they shouldn't be charges. 

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think they are trying to make things easier on refs but it is hurting the more than helping them.  Like instant replay in sports is hurting the quality of the refs calls on the court.  With the circle it is making the refs look more at the defenders feet instead if the player are in the right position to take the charge.  If their feet is outside the lane it will be a charge no matter what.

If Baylor just stops fouling they will win. I know they’ve played so hard defensively they are getting more calls against them and I know Gonzaga can hit shots but at this point Gonzaga hasn’t shown they can score outside layups. Make them hit jumpers down the stretch and don’t go reaching or giving free points at the line.

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's the big thing, refs are so awful at calling charges, especially at the collegiate level, that you have to do things to protect and favor the offense. Collegiate refs literally hunt charges to call and most of the time they shouldn't be charges. 

Agree. I think they should change the hand movement on a charge call if they want to deincentivize the call. It’s literally the coolest movemrnt(hand) they do. Make it something like picking their nose or a fart signal or something so they don’t think it’s so cool to call.

Just now, dgambill said:

Agree. I think they should change the hand movement on a charge call if they want to deincentivize the call. It’s literally the coolest movemrnt(hand) they do. Make it something like picking their nose or a fart signal or something so they don’t think it’s so cool to call.

And if you're TV Teddy you have to get a running start!

Gonzaga will still have a couple runs in them. Too good offensively. I just wonder will Baylor play to win going down the stretch or will they tighten up trying not to lose the game. If they play free they should hold on because they have enough offense to hold on.

Archived