The Final Four

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Interesting watching Baylor on offense because they basically play 2 bigs (Vital and a center) that don't shoot, yet their offense is still so spread out for their guards/wings and they have plenty of space to operate. 

Vital is much like Race Thompson, but used in a way that he doesn't clog the lane while the center plays a high ball screen game with their guards/wings, then Vital just crashes hard on every shot/penetration to offensive rebound. 

Vital is so dang wide though. Like a mini tank.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dgambill said:

Vital is so dang wide though. Like a mini tank.

Absolutely. But from a personnel standpoint, They are playing two non-shooting bigs, yet it's interesting to me how spread out they still are. It certainly helps to have guards and wings as talented as theirs. Their perimeter players can do it all, they can all handle, shoot, finish in the paint, etc. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely. But from a personnel standpoint, They are playing two non-shooting bigs, yet it's interesting to me how spread out they still are. It certainly helps to have guards and wings as talented as theirs. Their perimeter players can do it all, they can all handle, shoot, finish in the paint, etc. 

I think so much of it is Mitchell and Butler’s ability to penetrate and put pressure on the defense. It’s so impressive and I would love for IU to have a guy like them. 

Just now, Hippopotamo said:

I think so much of it is Mitchell and Butler’s ability to penetrate and put pressure on the defense. It’s so impressive and I would love for IU to have a guy like them. 

Agree, and they can both shoot too. In this day and age when your guards are tough, physical, can shoot, can handle, can drive and finish, etc., that makes you really tough to beat.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

We see tonight what happens when you have to play really good teams back to back...like in a power conference. Gonzaga is feeling the effect.

I said it earlier in this thread and got some crap for it. Gonzaga spends most of their time playing nobodies.  BYU and St. Mary's is their only competition.  

The funniest thing to me in all of this, after watching Baylor wax an unbeaten Gonzaga team, is that there are people, living, breathing, fully functioning people, who thought Purdue could beat Baylor in a Sweet 16 matchup that ended up coming nowhere close to even happening. 

Just now, dgambill said:

Any other year I would have been proud to root for Gonzaga...great team and a great system. Good luck in the future.

I know. I told my kids earlier that if Gonzaga had 1 loss I would have been rooting for them tonight. 

Archived