The Final Four

28 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

You're right. The game should be played the way it was intended without all these new fangled rules. Bring back the preach baskets. No dribbling allowed. Or maybe go with the slightly newer rule than that and allow one dribble but then they must pass.

I knew someone would say something stupid like that

Edited by IU Scott
  • Haha 1

Baylor had struggled to shoot the 3 for like the last couple weeks...but they got it back just in time. 4 guys shooting 40%...and how about all those 15 footers in the middle of the zone just when Gonzaga was switching it up and making a run. Who said the mid range jumper is dead. Served its purpose today as Gonzaga couldn’t change it up and let Baylor go back to what they do best. Fundamental basketball.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I wonder if that is the last time we see Gonzaga playing for a championship?  Just sayin'  They are becoming a oad factory.

If they mostly all come back they have like one of the best guards in all HS coming in to replace Suggs. Imo that is how you build a team. Full of good solid top 100 talent with a OAD superstar. They will be back because they will constantly have high seeds given their conference.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I know. I told my kids earlier that if Gonzaga had 1 loss I would have been rooting for them tonight. 

I would have too. I remember their first appearance thinking who the hell are these people.  

Never would have I imagined IU would spend 20+ years lost in the desert.

• Like 3

Finish by saying this. Despite whatever people say about Drew or about Gonzagas conference and record etc. That is winning style basketball both teams played. Would love to see a little of that in the coming years. 

As much as Timme is the man for Zags....guard play wins championships. Suggs for Gonzaga and all 3 guards from Baylor.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Say what you want about Scott Drew, but this is a very, very good team.  

Recruiting can be an evil game. I have no problem with him as a person after knowing him from the Michiana area. I made a comment years ago after watching Perea play his senior year against SB Riley, and i said back then that he was a major project...so i didn’t take Drew’s recruitment of him personally for that reason.  I’m glad an Indiana kid was a part of keeping IU’s streak intact. 3 years at Penn high school in Mishawaka, then his senior year at Valpo High school when his Dad took the Valpo college job after leaving Bethel college. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Finish by saying this. Despite whatever people say about Drew or about Gonzagas conference and record etc. That is winning style basketball both teams played. Would love to see a little of that in the coming years. 

As much as Timme is the man for Zags....guard play wins championships. Suggs for Gonzaga and all 3 guards from Baylor.

It makes me excited already for next season if Woodson can implement a more spaced, open offensive system, convince Franklin to come back and maybe snag that transfer from Pitt. 

You go TJD as the big and run with Hunter/Geronimo at the 4, and then you have Phinisee, Lander, Franklin, Stewart and hopefully the transfer, with Galloway and Leal as depth. He'd need to really develop Lander and find a way to get Phinisee his confidence back, but the pieces are there. 

Not to be as good as Baylor by any means, but to be a solid Big Ten/tourney team. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lizard said:

I went into this game not really caring who won.  Now, i cant decide what I enjoyed more:  Baylor curbstomping the darlings from WA, or the CBS announcing team struggling but still finding ways to continually praise the Zags while they were getting run.  Good for Baylor.  Credit to Scott Drew.  76 Indiana Hoosiers still the last unbeaten champs.  Good night!

I know when a game is starting to get out of hand, they have to try and keep viewers interested, but at halftime, you would have thought Gonzaga was up by 10 instead of down by 10. They acted like being down 10 at the half was some kind of accomplishment. 

• Like 3

What does IU need to do to play that way next year? I don't think this is overly far fetched, although there is a difference in talent. 

TJD is the best center on either team. 

Can Race and Geronimo play that offensive rebounder role and stay on the perimeter of offense?

Our guards aren't as good as theirs, but could a Franklin, Lander, Stewart, maybe Johnson, etc. group be really good? I think so. 

With everyone back and adding 1-2 more next year, and the right scheme, we could be really good IMO. 

• Like 2

Just now, KoB2011 said:

What does IU need to do to play that way next year? I don't think this is overly far fetched, although there is a difference in talent. 

TJD is the best center on either team. 

Can Race and Geronimo play that offensive rebounder role and stay on the perimeter of offense?

Our guards aren't as good as theirs, but could a Franklin, Lander, Stewart, maybe Johnson, etc. group be really good? I think so. 

With everyone back and adding 1-2 more next year, and the right scheme, we could be really good IMO. 

We need dudes. Grown ass men. Because that's what Baylor has. That's what we would have looked like under Sampson eventually.

On a side note, how many times did Timmee stroke his stache tonight?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

I went into this game not really caring who won.  Now, i cant decide what I enjoyed more:  Baylor curbstomping the darlings from WA, or the CBS announcing team struggling but still finding ways to continually praise the Zags while they were getting run.  Good for Baylor.  Credit to Scott Drew.  76 Indiana Hoosiers still the last unbeaten champs.  Good night!

Well said. The announcers were driving me crazy with the...Zags just look a step slow tonight. That’s what happens when you are emotionally and physically drained from the UCLA OT 🙄. How about Baylor just kicked their @ss and give them some credit where credit is due. Scott Drew’s kids executed a great game plan, and they were the superior team. I’m never overly impressed with the Zags. Always have good teams but they don’t play as tough of a schedule so usually when they run into a good team they are exposed. UCLA did a hell of a job on them and should have bounced them on Saturday night. I’m happy for Baylor and Scott Drew. Well deserved!!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, IUfan93 said:

Well said. The announcers were driving me crazy with the...Zags just look a step slow tonight. That’s what happens when you are emotionally and physically drained from the UCLA OT 🙄. How about Baylor just kicked their @ss and give them some credit where credit is due. Scott Drew’s kids executed a great game plan, and they were the superior team. I’m never overly impressed with the Zags. Always have good teams but they don’t play as tough of a schedule so usually when they run into a good team they are exposed. UCLA did a hell of a job on them and should have bounced them on Saturday night. I’m happy for Baylor and Scott Drew. Well deserved!!

Too your point. Baylor wins big...but check out the main story.  🙄

Screenshot_20210406-000536_Chrome.jpg

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, dgambill said:

Baylor had struggled to shoot the 3 for like the last couple weeks...but they got it back just in time. 4 guys shooting 40%...and how about all those 15 footers in the middle of the zone just when Gonzaga was switching it up and making a run. Who said the mid range jumper is dead. Served its purpose today as Gonzaga couldn’t change it up and let Baylor go back to what they do best. Fundamental basketball.

I miss watching a team that can hit mid-range jumpers. We used to always have at least a couple players who were deadly and impossible to guard while shooting those. It’s been a while. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I knew someone would say something stupid like that

i have to admit i'm on your side here Scott.  it feels weird, but i like tradition.  many will argue these rules make it better so why not, but i think the new rules that pop up in the nba on a daily basis are a joke and i keep hoping they don't trickle down to college.  you and i are angry old men though.  

• Thanks 1