Indiana Mr. Basketball busts

rico

47 minutes ago, rico said:

You have forgot about Kojak Fuller.

I was going to post Fuller when I saw the thread title.  He ended up in prison.  Of note though is that he only got the award because it was stripped from Sherron Wilkerson right before the all-star games that year.  I honestly do not remember what Wilkerson's transgression was.

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I was going to post Fuller when I saw the thread title.  He ended up in prison.  Of note though is that he only got the award because it was stripped from Sherron Wilkerson right before the all-star games that year.  I honestly do not remember what Wilkerson's transgression was.

Apparently over a temper tantrum.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/college/former-mr-basketball-grows-up/article_033b494d-be84-588c-8fe4-3d9d93356bcd.html

13 hours ago, rico said:

You have forgot about Kojak Fuller.

Kojak for sure.  We played against him my Junior year and i dont know if ciach was serious but there were 3 little kids sitting courtside at the wigwag and he told us they were Kojak kids. I thought thst Sherron lost it because he would not play in Indiana Kentucky All Star game but i might be wrong

Sherron lost Mr. Indiana  because IIRC he was benched during a loss to Kentucky. Didn't like being benched and quit team. He apologized and asked to rejoin team but whoever the coach/director was seemed determined on stripping Sherron of Mr. Indiana. 

I'll stick with Kojak and his 900 kids by the time he left high school.

According to wikipedia, both 1941 John Bass and 1950 Ronald Pat Klein didn't play in college so they'd have to be the biggest busts at the next level, right?

As far as Kojak Fuller, seems like he's turned things around some, but in terms of basketball definitely a bust as a player at the next level(s)...https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/06/18/new-coaching-staff-looks-breathe-life-back-into-anderson-basketball/407028001/

2 hours ago, johnsoniu said:

Fuller was the first one to come to mind, but Dan Palombizio( 1981) is a close second in my book. Had a couple good years at Ball State, but his Purdue career was an unmitigated disaster. 

Dan was the boys varsity coach a few years ago at New Buffalo High School. I happened to officiate a couple of his games and I remember him being very arrogant and obnoxious. I made my mind up before the game that if he got out of line I was going to "T" him up. Dan decided that he didn't have to stay in the coaching box and during the game I was underneath the basket and looked up and there was Dan at midcourt yelling at us. I let him have it. A month or so later I had his team again in the state tournament and Old Dan was as nice as he could be. 

12 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Dan was the boys varsity coach a few years ago at New Buffalo High School. I happened to officiate a couple of his games and I remember him being very arrogant and obnoxious. I made my mind up before the game that if he got out of line I was going to "T" him up. Dan decided that he didn't have to stay in the coaching box and during the game I was underneath the basket and looked up and there was Dan at midcourt yelling at us. I let him have it. A month or so later I had his team again in the state tournament and Old Dan was as nice as he could be. 

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

Just now, rico said:

I would say he did just fine.  I do believe he scored over a 1,000 pts. for the Boilers.

i guess so but I remember watching him do some things that i truly thought he would be even bigger .  Not that he was a bust by no means but I was really impressed with his play.  Side note his brother beat us in regional on last second shot and then was the thorn in our side beating IU twice

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

i guess so but I remember watching him do some things that i truly thought he would be even bigger .  Not that he was a bust by no means but I was really impressed with his play.  Side note his brother beat us in regional on last second shot and then was the thorn in our side beating IU twice

I would probably say that many Purdue fans were a tad disappointed at his career.  But 1,000 pts is 1,000 pts.  At a big time school no less.  

1 minute ago, rico said:

I would probably say that many Purdue fans were a tad disappointed at his career.  But 1,000 pts is 1,000 pts.  At a big time school no less.  

I remember he had to sit out a semester due to grades and I saw him over at IU East taking classes when I went there.

Archived