Brannen/UC

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of things being talked about right now concerning the "why" part.  I think UC is trying to make him quit or find something they can fire him for.

I also remember a lot of the fan base being disappointed when Brannen was hired.  I recall many Bearcats clamoring for Nick Van Exel.

48 minutes ago, rico said:

Lots of things being talked about right now concerning the "why" part.  I think UC is trying to make him quit or find something they can fire him for.

I also remember a lot of the fan base being disappointed when Brannen was hired.  I recall many Bearcats clamoring for Nick Van Exel.

I would agree with your assessment.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I recall many Bearcats clamoring for Nick Van Exel.

Curiosity made me search...Van Excel was a player development guy for the Atlanta Hawks when Woodson's successor, Larry Drew was their coach...

Since then, he had a D league head coaching position and is now an Assistant Coach for the Memphis Grizzlies...

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Curiosity made me search...Van Excel was a player development guy for the Atlanta Hawks when Woodson's successor, Larry Drew was their coach...

Since then, he had a D league head coaching position and is now an Assistant Coach for the Memphis Grizzlies...

So what you are saying is to expect UC on our schedule soon?

I agree that Archie and Cincinnati would be a great fit.  He knows Ohio really well. As jv points out, the name stands out in Cincinnati.  Plus he’s got a tough mentality that fits.  When I think of Cincinnati basketball, I think physically tough.  Nice city to live in for Archie too. 

In view of the offset in Archie’s payout, it would get our $10M donor some relief too. Or, if the donor agreed to donate that amount regardless, it would give the athletic department some extra cash.  Cincinnati presumably won’t pay him what we did, so we’d likely still be on the hook but likely at a far more manageable rate. 

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I agree that Archie and Cincinnati would be a great fit.  He knows Ohio really well. As jv points out, the name stands out in Cincinnati.  Plus he’s got a tough mentality that fits.  When I think of Cincinnati basketball, I think physically tough.  Nice city to live in for Archie too. 

In view of the offset in Archie’s payout, it would get our $10M donor some relief too. Or, if the donor agreed to donate that amount regardless, it would give the athletic department some extra cash.  Cincinnati presumably won’t pay him what we did, so we’d likely still be on the hook but likely at a far more manageable rate. 

So hypothetically, could UC or another school hire Archie and pay him $1 per year for three years and let IU subsidize the cost? It would make him an attractive candidate 

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

So hypothetically, could UC or another school hire Archie and pay him $1 per year for three years and let IU subsidize the cost? It would make him an attractive candidate 

I honestly haven’t looked at the contract.  But Fred is a lawyer so I’m sure he was careful on that provision. He might have put a burden on Archie to make best efforts to find comparable employment for a fair market value salary.  Then if there are shenanigans, you simply write him a letter and say we aren’t paying you because you have violated the agreement.  

17 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No, we went over this when Crean was on his way out. Although I’m not certain to the exact language, but a market value is something that I remember being said... Archie would most certainly be a step or more above in experience for the  Bearcats program. 

25 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No. It's in the contract IU has with Archie that he must seek a reasonable, competitive salary. Something like this happened a few years ago when Jim Les left Bradley. UC Davis paid him a really low salary and BU sued. 

I mentioned this in a previous post, but the short and skinny of it is this; UC’s AD and administration looks like a bunch of clowns right now. They’ve investigated Brannen once, and found absolutely no wrongdoing. Now, not even 24 hours after they discovered that he was clean, the AD placed him on leave. Why? Nobody truly knows. I’ve heard the rumors that Scott mentioned, but nothing has materialized and the university looks absolutely ridiculous. Word will get out, if it hasn’t already, about them looking to oust the man without cause. That looks cheap and petty to me. This is a mess that could take some time to clean up. 

12 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I mentioned this in a previous post, but the short and skinny of it is this; UC’s AD and administration looks like a bunch of clowns right now. They’ve investigated Brannen once, and found absolutely no wrongdoing. Now, not even 24 hours after they discovered that he was clean, the AD placed him on leave. Why? Nobody truly knows. I’ve heard the rumors that Scott mentioned, but nothing has materialized and the university looks absolutely ridiculous. Word will get out, if it hasn’t already, about them looking to oust the man without cause. That looks cheap and petty to me. This is a mess that could take some time to clean up. 

Pretty good reading on Eleven Warriors...

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/college-sports/2021/03/121931/uc-basketball-allegations

On 4/5/2021 at 7:38 AM, Billingsley99 said:

UC should take a hard look at Archie and I think he would do well there but going to have to get the guys to always be hard nose tough as nails. He can get the talent there and if given the opportunity he will do well

Are we talking about Archie being tough and hard nosed? The same guy that called his own team "soft" during the season many times??

I'm confused.....

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Are we talking about Archie being tough and hard nosed? The same guy that called his own team "soft" during the season many times??

I'm confused.....

What I am saying is that if he wants to be successful at UC he better be hard nosed  and get his team to play that way or he wont survive their either. 

Archived