Dane Fife will join Mike Woodson’s staff at Indiana

10 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The power of the #iubb fanbase is truly unrivaled.  Last season, we altered the trajectory of every free throw and destroyed Phinisee’s jump shot through internet posts alone... Scientists need to start studying this phenomenon, it could have huge military and national security implications.

But you admit it is senseless and lame the way some act on Twitter? Correct? 

Those aren't real fans. 

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The power of the #iubb fanbase is truly unrivaled.  Last season, we altered the trajectory of every free throw and destroyed Phinisee’s jump shot through internet posts alone... Scientists need to start studying this phenomenon, it could have huge military and national security implications.

Well we've heard it from the National media, coaching staffs and now our new staff.  I can see Dane getting pretty pissy about it quick 

Just now, hoosier_exotics said:

It's ridiculous some of the stuff people put out there. 

Yes it is, but every single fanbase does it, not just IU.

IU has been down for awhile now so it's easy for the media to kick the fanbase and say how bad we are. If IU was winning more you wouldn't hear about it as much, they would just say we are passionate about our Hoosiers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

You're not a Hoosier Fan if you don't budget the 45 minutes to watch that press conference,  You're just not.  

Just getting back from a day of yardwork. Going to have to listen because everything I'm seeing and hearing is awesome. Sounds like he was open and honest. Press should love hearing from Fife.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Of course, but I don’t buy the argument that last year’s team was a tournament team if only the fans weren’t so mean to them.

I don't think that's the argument.  It's just surrounding the program with negative thoughts from fans and media, hurt the program as a whole.  Cutting our own throats essentially... obviously when the team is down it's hard to be upbeat. I think all of us have been in a funk for so long, we don't realize how negative we can be.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hoosier_exotics said:

I don't think that's the argument.  It's just surrounding the program with negative thoughts from fans and media, hurt the program as a whole.  Cutting our own throats essentially... obviously when the team is down it's hard to be upbeat. I think all of us have been in a funk for so long, we don't realize how negative we can be.

I think that's exactly right...

And I also think that when Dane says they're looking to "insulate" the program through himself, Woody, and other former players he's talking about defending the program from that same negativity...negativity that a lot of times was undeserved in my opinion...

When Tom Crean or Archie Miller defend IU basketball, that's one thing...when it's Scott May, Quinn Buckner, or Randy Wittman, that's quite another...what journalist in their right mind are going to "pick at the program" (Dane's words) against guys like that?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think that's exactly right...

And I also think that when Dane says they're looking to "insulate" the program through himself, Woody, and other former players he's talking about defending the program from that same negativity...negativity that a lot of times was undeserved in my opinion...

When Tom Crean or Archie Miller defend IU basketball, that's one thing...when it's Scott May, Quinn Buckner, or Randy Wittman, that's quite another...what journalist in their right mind are going to "pick at the program" (Dane's words) against guys like that?

Agreed!

11 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Who ever said that?

Dane Fife, in regard to last year’s team:

“That was an NCAA tournament team.  We can look at the players and look at the coaches, but I think this is a culture issue not just with the program itself, but with the fans, the media, the whole state.  I’m sorry to hold you accountable and say that you’re responsible Alex [Bozich], but you’re part of it.”

I took that as blaming the fans and the media for what happened last year just as much as the players and coaches, which I don’t buy.  I also don’t really get the point about the media being too harsh — with the exception of a few idiots like Dakich, the IU basketball beat is overwhelmingly made up of people carrying water for the program to maintain access.

But to be clear, I don’t have a problem with anything Fife is saying.  He’s clearly taking the tact of sticking up for the players in the media, which I actually think will be a great thing for the program.  I just think some of these slights are imagined or exaggerated, which happens all the time in high level athletics.  Whatever it takes to get the team motivated, I’m for it.

• Like 4

On topic but off topic considering the last page and half.  I was really surprised by how much Dane talked about Rob Phinisee.  It sounds like Dane expects Rob to have a big role in the coming season.  I know there had been some been chatter on here about how Rob may be odd man out of the rotation.  However, hearing Dane talk about him, it sounds like he is going to have a significant role.  Maybe a small role offensively, but a huge role defensively.  Good to hear Dane go to bat for and at the same time challenge Rob in that interview.  This team is going to have a completely different tone on defense and offense.      

Edited by SpiderMonkey
  • Like 2

Just now, SpiderMonkey said:

On topic but off topic considering the last page and half.  I was really surprised by how much Dane talked about Rob Phinisee.  It sounds like Dane expects Rob to have a big role in the coming season.  I know there had some been chatter on here about how Rob may be odd man out of the rotation.  From hearing Dane talk about him, it sounds like he is going to have a significant role.  Maybe a small role offensively, but a huge role defensively.  Good to hear Dane go to bat for and at the same time challenge Rob in that interview.    

Dane was that guy. He was Mr. Defense. And his senior year he was able to really blossom offensively. I'm sure Fife sees a lot of himself in Rob Phinisee.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

On topic but off topic considering the last page and half.  I was really surprised by how much Dane talked about Rob Phinisee.  It sounds like Dane expects Rob to have a big role in the coming season.  I know there had been some been chatter on here about how Rob may be odd man out of the rotation.  However, hearing Dane talk about him, it sounds like he is going to have a significant role.  Maybe a small role offensively, but a huge role defensively.  Good to hear Dane go to bat for and at the same time challenge Rob in that interview.  This team is going to have a completely different tone on defense and offense.      

I heard the same...

I also heard Dane say that he didn't get a chance to keep Joey from leaving...

Didn't sound like Joey was "forced out" but rather made up his mind when they told him his role...

14 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Dane Fife, in regard to last year’s team:

“That was an NCAA tournament team.  We can look at the players and look at the coaches, but I think this is a culture issue not just with the program itself, but with the fans, the media, the whole state.  I’m sorry to hold you accountable and say that you’re responsible Alex [Bozich], but you’re part of it.”

I took that as blaming the fans and the media for what happened last year just as much as the players and coaches, which I don’t buy.  I also don’t really get the point about the media being too harsh — with the exception of a few idiots like Dakich, the IU basketball beat is overwhelmingly made up of people carrying water for the program to maintain access.

When I heard it I took it as he was just saying media/what fans say online plays a role (wouldn't say a gigantic role, but would agree, a role), not that it was a 50/50 split in terms of blame like you took it. As much as we might hate the whole "reputation for IU fans" (especially since schools like Kentucky can be even worse when they're losing as well), at the end of the day it is there and even Osterman even said it affected recruiting when he was talking to Galen from the media school after Archie was fired. Winning probably cures everything and I don't think it has been that bad of an issue on this board for example, but if a guy like Fife who has been around the Big Ten for a decade is even saying it, feel like it's harder to argue it's just some completely made up narrative by a Goodman or Bilas. 

That being said, don't think anyone is saying you can't ever say one negative thing about IU and obviously everyone's passion is what makes Indiana Basketball. Like you said to end the post also, he's sticking up for his players and whether you think the reputation is fair or not, that's always a great thing to see

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PritchardPutBack said:

When I heard it I took it as he was just saying media/what fans say online plays a role (wouldn't say a gigantic role, but would agree, a role), not that it was a 50/50 split in terms of blame like you took it. As much as we might hate the whole "reputation for IU fans" (especially since schools like Kentucky can be even worse when they're losing as well), at the end of the day it is there and even Osterman even said it affected recruiting when he was talking to Galen from the media school after Archie was fired. Winning probably cures everything and I don't think it has been that bad of an issue on this board for example, but if a guy like Fife who has been around the Big Ten for a decade is even saying it, feel like it's harder to argue it's just some completely made up narrative by a Goodman or Bilas. 

That being said, don't think anyone is saying you can't ever say one negative thing about IU and obviously everyone's passion is what makes Indiana Basketball. Like you said to end the post also, he's sticking up for his players and whether you think the reputation is fair or not, that's always a great thing to see

Been saying for years us fans have some blame for where IU basketball is right now.  It can be a detriment trying to get top coaches and players willing to come to IU.

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Been saying for years us fans have some blame for where IU basketball is right now.  It can be a detriment trying to get top coaches and players willing to come to IU.

If Born Hoosier fans have any blame in this tragedy, then just maybe the institution never fully understood what this program really is and decided to hire outside connections to run this prestigious program.  I can give two craps about star rankings or where they come from and all I want is a leader to slap the court, slap his chest and point to the opposing player bringing the ball up the court and say I OWN YOU and you will not score. Blame the fans for lackluster play that we Born Hoosiers grew up accustomed to is not the answer but an excuse.  CMW & CDF both lived this dream and will make sure the culture here will never forget.

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I heard the same...

I also heard Dane say that he didn't get a chance to keep Joey from leaving...

Didn't sound like Joey was "forced out" but rather made up his mind when they told him his role...

Well of course; why would they force out a guy who doesn't count against the limit?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Well of course; why would they force out a guy who doesn't count against the limit?

If they're honest and tell a kid like Joey that he doesn't figure to be in the rotation or he doesn't fit the style of play Coach Woodson wants to employ, that's one thing regardless whether he takes up a scholarship or not. The transfer portal would be pretty much the only choice for a kid that wanted to play.

On the other hand, if they explained his role and he didn't like what he heard, that's another. 

In that case, I simply wondered what Fife thinks he could have said to change Joey's mind based on what Dane said during the interview.