Dane Fife will join Mike Woodson’s staff at Indiana

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

When I was 10 years old, my Little League coach decided to play with 8 instead of putting me in Right Field, but that's another story.  

Ouch, that's a blow to the ole ego.  Seems like that moment crushed your confidence and may have defined the rest of your life moving forward.  Things are starting to make sense with you having so many ex's.

See, how therapeutic this board is.  We just figured out the root of all your pain and you didn't even have to go to a shrink. 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

When I was 10 years old, my Little League coach decided to play with 8 instead of putting me in Right Field, but that's another story.  

I empathize as a fellow right-fielder who once committed an error before our pitcher ever threw the first pitch of the inning...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If they're honest and tell a kid like Joey that he doesn't figure to be in the rotation or he doesn't fit the style of play Coach Woodson wants to employ, that's one thing regardless whether he takes up a scholarship or not. The transfer portal would be pretty much the only choice for a kid that wanted to play.

On the other hand, if they explained his role and he didn't like what he heard, that's another. 

In that case, I simply wondered what Fife thinks he could have said to change Joey's mind based on what Dane said during the interview.

I agree with your points. 

I think Fife's comments on Brunk don't amount to much. He said it almost in a joking manner, when asked if his experience going through a coaching change while playing at IU, helps him with retaining current players (or something along those lines). He then said "Well it didn't help with Brunk" in his normal dry humor way (at least to me).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I think Fife's comments on Brunk don't amount to much. He said it almost in a joking manner, when asked if his experience going through a coaching change while playing at IU, helps him with retaining current players (or something along those lines). He then said "Well it didn't help with Brunk" in his normal dry humor way (at least to me).

Exactly, as fans we tend to parse and read into every little statement. Fife was making a joke at his own expense. There isn't much to read into here imo

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Exactly, as fans we tend to parse and read into every little statement. Fife was making a joke at his own expense. There isn't much to read into here imo

+1

I felt it was more a "not much I could have done there". If anything, the Brunk situation might have fallen into the "other people in his ear" part of the discussion (although I do not believe that was explicitly about Brunk).

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Yeah, after review maybe I was reading too much into it...

Just struck me as odd that TJD in his presser talked about having Joey back, and then he decides to transfer...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It would have been so easy for Rob to just leave and he hasn’t.  I give him respect for that.

After the season he just had and having a new coach he could have easily transferred, but to stick with IU says a lot about him. 👍

If he can get confidence back in his shot, with his defense and experience he could be big for us next season.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

It would have been so easy for Rob to just leave and he hasn’t.  I give him respect for that.   

If Fife can get Rob back on track, that will be a huge feather in his cap as a coach.  You’d have to stand up and notice that.  

When I think back to how Rob was active in helping to convince Romeo to come to IU, I have to think he wants to be a Hoosier.  Unfortunately, he chose IU sight unseen and was done no favors by a staff that was not good at player development.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2021 at 9:23 PM, BobSaccamanno said:

If Fife can get Rob back on track, that will be a huge feather in his cap as a coach.  You’d have to stand up and notice that.  

Maybe I respect defensive ability too much, but, as Dane Fife has said, I consider Rob to be one of the best on the ball defenders in the B1G...

That's where he'll start getting his minutes...it's developing consistency on offense that'll gain him more time...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kid has the raw material. Seems like a lifetime ago, but remember the Phini-three against Butler? Just needs someone to shape that raw material.

Fife should be able to reach this guy. He's just lost all confidence and needs to have some fun out there and relax. My hope is Woody lets these guys have some fun. I am  not blaming Archie per se, but the team played tight under him. Let these guys loose. 

15 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

Fife should be able to reach this guy. He's just lost all confidence and needs to have some fun out there and relax. My hope is Woody lets these guys have some fun. I am  not blaming Archie per se, but the team played tight under him. Let these guys loose. 

Fife is the perfect guy.  His 3 point % went:  24, 22, 30, 48 (freshman-senior).  His volume also went way up his senior year.

Whether it was confidence, practice, or a combination of both, Dane was a completely different shooter his senior season. I remember thinking he was better his senior year, but I didn't realize it was THAT much better.

Let's hope he shares his secret with Rob. Fife's defense was outstanding and had to have kept his confidence up when his shot wasn't falling. Hopefully Rob can do something similar this season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Fife is the perfect guy.  His 3 point % went:  24, 22, 30, 48 (freshman-senior).  His volume also went way up his senior year.

Whether it was confidence, practice, or a combination of both, Dane was a completely different shooter his senior season. I remember thinking he was better his senior year, but I didn't realize it was THAT much better.

Let's hope he shares his secret with Rob. Fife's defense was outstanding and had to have kept his confidence up when his shot wasn't falling. Hopefully Rob can do something similar this season.

Yes, the story with Fife was a mental health issue/anxiety. He started taking Zoloft and it helped calm his nerves. He talked about this on an episode of Hoosier Hysterics. 

• Like 1