Clif Marshall

23 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not trying to be an a**hat, but are these instances confirmed that they are from lifting. I truly dont know. 

What people forget about or dont understand is part of working out, be it practice, games, gym time. 

Most everyone forgets about recovery.  

Younger lifters,players go balls to the wall. Been there done that. Injured myself plenty of times. 

Younger lifters forget about recovery.  I was never a college athlete so I had all the time in the world to recover. But these guys dont. You can kick ass in the weight room but without instructions on recovery you may not know what to do. 

I could write a book on all the things you need to do to recover from the stress you put on your body. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

McRoberts -> Back

Phinisee -> Lower abdominal

Brunk -> Back

Galloway -> Back

That's a lot of possible lifting injuries to have in a short time Miller was here.

I hurt my back on the job.  I bent over to pick up a pulse oximeter out of the ems bag sitting on the floor.  Went back up and bam.  Was struggling to walk for 5 days.  

The next time I hurt it was picking up a 600 lb lady off the floor and back to her bed.  One made sense.  The other did not.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

McRoberts -> Back

Phinisee -> Lower abdominal

Brunk -> Back

Galloway -> Back

That's a lot of possible lifting injuries to have in a short time Miller was here.

Romeo sat out the NIT with a back injury

I am not necessarily blaming Marshall, but similar to questioning the sandpit, it is a little odd how many back injuries we've had recently. I don't think back issues are very common in basketball players either. Non issue, maybe, but worth discussing in a thread about the strength and conditioning coach. 

Edited by OGIUAndy
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

What people forget about or dont understand is part of working out, be it practice, games, gym time. 

Younger lifters,players go balls to the wall. Been there done that. Injured myself plenty of times. 

Younger lifters forget about recovery.  I was never a college athlete so I had all the time in the world to recover. But these guys dont. You can kick ass in the weight room but without instructions on recovery you may not know what to do. 

I could write a book on all the things you need to do to recover from the stress you put on your body. 

Milk, cottage cheese, water, and bread.... live there young'ns.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 9:28 AM, NotIThatLives said:

I hurt my back on the job.  I bent over to pick up a pulse oximeter out of the ems bag sitting on the floor.  Went back up and bam.  Was struggling to walk for 5 days.  

The next time I hurt it was picking up a 600 lb lady off the floor and back to her bed.  One made sense.  The other did not.  

A little bit late. But I'm having trouble with my hips. I'm only 36 and if i stoop down or bend the wrong way...oof.  my mom has lupus which an autoimmune disease that leads to degenerative nerve failure.  

I hope I have enough time to find recover.

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

A little bit late. But I'm having trouble with my hips. I'm only 36 and if i stoop down or bend the wrong way...oof.  my mom has lupus which an autoimmune disease that leads to degenerative nerve failure.  

Hate that man.  I only brought it up here due to the very finicky nature of my injuries and the piling on.  Each individual is different.  There is only one LeBron or Cal Ripken jr.  People get hurt all the time in an infinite number of ways and reasons.  Maybe Clif Marshall can help, maybe he hurts.  We don't know.  

On 4/9/2021 at 9:54 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

https://noobgains.com/weight-lifting-injury-statistics/

Thought this might add some data to the discussion.

Check out some of Stuart McGill's research on low back pain and exercises. He has published hundreds of papers on the topic. His big 3 exercises are foundational for many low back exercise programs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Lupus is a b!tch. My wife was diagnosed with it about 2.5 years ago but looking back she's had it much longer. We only found out because when our son was a few months old he started developing a bunch odd sores all over his body but mainly back and chest. It turns out he had neonatal lupus because mom's antibodies where still in his body. He's fine now and we're treating her lupus as best as we can but she still has flares.

On 4/8/2021 at 1:51 PM, mrflynn03 said:

Get these kids the Whoop band. It’s incredible in how it produces work load/  recovery data. If we have $10m for buyouts, surely this is in the budget 

Coach Hunter in his presser talked about how Coach Woodson wants this team in better shape with conditioning. I thought Trace was never  in very good shape his first 2 years, getting beat late in games and asking out of games. Marshall has his work cut out for him.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

They need to get in better condition. I really believe that was part of the issue this season in the OT games and the 6 game losing streak. 

In the interview with Coach Hunter he stated Woodson thinks their confounding needs to improve. So the coaching staff agrees with you. If you look at his resume it's mostly football which rewrites a different type of conditioning. I guess we'll see. 

I just don't think he's done a good job. The conditioning wasn't there and the players didn't seem strong or look especially ripped. We just got the before and after pictures which are easy to do to make someone look impressively stronger when they might not be. 

I hope we don't keep getting 1-2 players every season with back and lower abdominal injuries like we had with Miller and Marshall.

I was hoping Woodson would bring in someone with NBA experience for this role but that didn't happen so I'll hope for the best. I guess everyone thinks the only problem the last 4 years was Miller and maybe Ostrom. The rest of the coaching staff is back and most of the players and they tried to keep all the players. Marshall was #2 of who should go after Miller for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

In the interview with Coach Hunter he stated Woodson thinks their confounding needs to improve. So the coaching staff agrees with you. If you look at his resume it's mostly football which rewrites a different type of conditioning. I guess we'll see. 

I just don't think he's done a good job. The conditioning wasn't there and the players didn't seem strong or look especially ripped. We just got the before and after pictures which are easy to do to make someone look impressively stronger when they might not be. 

I hope we don't keep getting 1-2 players every season with back and lower abdominal injuries like we had with Miller and Marshall.

I was hoping Woodson would bring in someone with NBA experience for this role but that didn't happen so I'll hope for the best. I guess everyone thinks the only problem the last 4 years was Miller and maybe Ostrom. The rest of the coaching staff is back and most of the players and they tried to keep all the players. Marshall was #2 of who should go after Miller for me.

I think it's incredibly lazy to blame the strength coach for losses and or back problems. I've also never heard of lower abdominal issues being related to weight training... did we have multiple of those? Did they say they were from lifting?

Do you have any sort of credentials to be passing this judgment on Marshall or is your only information from the internet? And I am not trying to make that sound rude. I legitimately don't understand the criticism whatsoever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm sorry but I truthfully do not understand the complaints about Marshall at all. I have a hard time believing the criticism is warranted and furthermore I don't believe many on here are qualified to judge his work. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think we are just trying to find someone to blame.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3