Clif Marshall

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched enough basketball over the 45 + years and saw plenty of great shooters who did not do a lot of weight training.  Not saying not to do weight training bit I don't need to see these pictures all the time.  With how poor we shot the last 4 years there appears to be a circulation between the two.

The weight training isn't to help with shooting, the point is weight training doesn't hurt shooting. At all. 

• Like 2

Just now, IUFLA said:

It's not about being "muscular" Scott...It's about strength...

It doesn't hurt shooting (as a matter of fact, it improves range) and strength is a key element in other facets of the game...defense, rebounding...

When Rob Phinisee came in, they said he was the strongest freshman they ever had...And it showed immediately in his on the ball defense...

So why do they show all of these muscular.poses if it is just about strength

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched enough basketball over the 45 + years and saw plenty of great shooters who did not do a lot of weight training.  Not saying not to do weight training bit I don't need to see these pictures all the time.  With how poor we shot the last 4 years there appears to be a circulation between the two.

Scott.. you are completely missing the point. And he posts those VERY rarely. 

I've been apart of teams that were so behind in the weightroom that the "skill level" in that particular game was irrelevant.. 

The other team: jumped higher, was faster and quicker, was in better shape (yes conditioning and weight training go hand in hand), made sharper passes, etc.. it showed to the naked eye like the other team was hustling more, but no it was just they were so much more physically better that we couldn't compete. 

I've also been apart of the opposite.  

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Then just ignore it...Christ...

He's just trying to show the work these kids are putting in...

Well if I thought the strength coach was the difference between winning and losing I might care more.  For basketball players I want to see basketball development and even conditioning over the weight room.

• Haha 1

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well if I thought the strength coach was the difference between winning and losing I might care more.  For basketball players I want to see basketball development and even conditioning over the weight room.

Conditioning and the weight room LITERALLY go hand in hand.  

And define conditioning as you see it

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

It's almost as if some believe they know more than all these GMs, ADs, and HCs that hire these weight trainers to develop their athletes. Or that this weight lifting equipment is a waste is money. 

All because when they were "wannabe" players back in the day, they shot poorly after lifting weights.

Airball GIFs | Tenor

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Absolutely is at times. Exactly why they train so hard in the off season.  

• Like 1

It's not a muscular competition in basketball, but having strength has great benefits.  There is nothing wrong with what Cliff is doing, and he most definitely isn't ruining kids shooting.  This is hard work and they make gains over a period of time.  They are shooting, or should be, hundreds of shots in between workouts.  

If we just went hardcore lifting for 3 months with no shooting, then maybe it could effect shooting.  They, however, are doing basketball activities daily too so this is not the case.  It is a bad argument to say our kids are getting to strong to shoot.  

Different, but somewhat the same think about high school kids.  My coach in HS had a great lifting program..I started as a freshman at 6'2" 157 lbs.....My senior year i was 6'3" 190lbs....guess what my shooting percentages went up each year...its part of the process.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

It's not a muscular competition in basketball, but having strength has great benefits.  There is nothing wrong with what Cliff is doing, and he most definitely isn't ruining kids shooting.  This is hard work and they make gains over a period of time.  They are shooting, or should be, hundreds of shots in between workouts.  

If we just went hardcore lifting for 3 months with no shooting, then maybe it could effect shooting.  They, however, are doing basketball activities daily too so this is not the case.  It is a bad argument to say our kids are getting to strong to shoot.  

Different, but somewhat the same think about high school kids.  My coach in HS had a great lifting program..I started as a freshman at 6'2" 157 lbs.....My senior year i was 6'3" 190lbs....guess what my shooting percentages went up each year...its part of the process.

5'7 150lbs FR 

5'11 190lbs SR

I feel you.  Really good post

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I guess you don't think MJ or Kobe should have been lifting weights. They both sought out trainers when not all players were as focused on strength training (on their own) and worked with Tim Grover. 

image.jpeg.c525e89c82f4a57041d6c3f825a20410.jpeg

Kobe Bryant's Body Transformation Timeline - Ballislife.com

• Like 3

Guys I am not saying it isn't important part of the program but the last 4 years we have seen all of these type of pictures.  To me I want my guys to be able to play big minutes and that had to do with. more than strength.  It seems like it is harder for players  today to play more than 30 minutes a game.  Back in the 80's when the players were supposedly not as good as athletes those players were able to play 35+ minutes a game.  I saw plenty of IU players play the whole game and never saw diminish in their play.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Guys I am not saying it isn't important part of the program but the last 4 years we have seen all of these type of pictures.  To me I want my guys to be able to play big minutes and that had to do with. more than strength.  It seems like it is harder for players  today to play more than 30 minutes a game.  Back in the 80's when the players were supposedly not as good as athletes those players were able to play 35+ minutes a game.  I saw plenty of IU players play the whole game and never saw diminish in their play.

Not facts.  

TJD avged 35mpg in conference play.  

You cannot do that in today's basketball if you arent physically strong. Why? Because everyone else is!!!

• Like 2