Clif Marshall

30 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I will include @btownqb

In my experience when training for sports there are a few universal lifts that need to be trained for by everyone. 

Just my opinion.

Deadlift, power clean, squat, and OHP. 

For the vast majority of athletes bench press is useless, especially if you have long arms. Unless you are a lineman bench dont mean sh!t. 

Thighs,hams, glutes, back and abdominals is where athletes get their strength and power. Dont forget about calves either. 

100% correct. Bench press is NOT the metric needed to use for almost anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OGIUAndy said:

I was making an analogy. College coaches are supposed to “teach”. I played sports and have lifted etc. too. high school isn’t college, college isn’t the pros. Every level has a learning curve. Why hire a coach/trainer at if these guys know everything when they come in? IU has had a lot back injuries during this particular trainer’s tenure, that is a fact. I know players and others like like him and I know kids work out by themselves, but good habits are developed just like bad ones. Just putting it out there for discussion. 

I’ll say this last thing and leave it at this....if you think Tim Garl and the world class IU medical staff would allow or not bring an issue like multiple injuries happening during lifting and training to the attention of Archie and the AD or address anything alarming then I’ll turn in my IU fan card. Garl has been with us through how many coaching changes...how long?? IU has perhaps some of the best sports medicine and athlete trainers in the country. They absolutely would be able to diagnose and make quick work to address any situation or improper methods that was causing harm to the athletes. No way that also wouldn’t be brought to the AD and new coaches attention and the guy retained. No way players would love and promote their strength coach If they were getting hurt under his work. I’m not going to pretend like I know enough about training and lifting etc to say Clif Is the best or anything...but he has shown results with guys like Race and Rob and I bet any of them that have put in the effort for it to pay off. If there was an issue with Cliffs training...he wouldn’t be here....especially after Archie left. That’s all I got to say...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I dont have a clue what Cliff teaches or how he trains athletes, but IU should give Jim Wendler a phone call and I'm not kidding.  

i dont know half the people that are mentioned on this board. Can we create like an encyclopedia thread that i can refer to with all these names? lol

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

If we really like this guy, we should at least spell his name right.

It's Clif with ONE "F".

Well it doesn't seem we do lol. That said we can't even get Isiah's name right perhaps the greatest player to come through the program...you think we are going to get the strength coach's name right?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Hmm. That energy seemed to evaporate very quickly when they made it into the game then.

It evaporates quickly when you lose yes. Just saying he wasn't one of those guys that just sits there and doesn't interact. He was actively cheering and high fiving guys etc. Like I said....at the very least he was a good cheerleader. The team under Archie was clearly lost by the end of the season and was unsalvagable.

I have no doubt Clif knows his stuff and from the things I've seen a very good guy to have around. 

As for the injuries mentioned earlier, I can only speculate.  But having been in and out of the gym for 20+ years, my guess is young, inexperienced lifters trying to go to hard too soon.

All it takes is one rep with poor form to get injured.  

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

What injuries have we had that could tie back to lifting?

Most of it has been ankles, concussions etc. 

Brunk was a back issue. But he hardly falls under the "young kid not knowing how to lift" category. He is 32 years old!

I am just confused that there has been so much discussion about our weight program being connected to injuries.

Where? How?

4 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Brunk was a back issue. But he hardly falls under the "young kid not knowing how to lift" category. He is 32 years old!

I am just confused that there has been so much discussion about our weight program being connected to injuries.

Where? How?

I really dont either. I think this is a complete non issue. 

27 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have no doubt Clif knows his stuff and from the things I've seen a very good guy to have around. 

As for the injuries mentioned earlier, I can only speculate.  But having been in and out of the gym for 20+ years, my guess is young, inexperienced lifters trying to go to hard too soon.

All it takes is one rep with poor form to get injured.  

I’ve breathed wrong and pulled a muscle in the middle of a squat. Haha. That was also the time I said: I’m too old for this s*** and put an end to higher weight/low rep sets.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Where? How?

I think issues with injuries ties more into recovery.  These college athletes put their bodies through the wringer, games, practice, weightroom. 

Even though they are young, nutrition, good sleep habits, rest is still vital. It's up the the athletes to recover.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I’ve breathed wrong and pulled a muscle in the middle of a squat. Haha. That was also the time I said: I’m too old for this s*** and put an end to higher weight/low rep sets.  

Yeah, first time I had and intercostal strain I was trying to deadlift I think about #550-#600. Older lifters are smarter lifters. We are more aware of what our bodies can handle.

Doesnt mean we still cant get great results though!

15 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Where? How?

McRoberts -> Back

Phinisee -> Lower abdominal

Brunk -> Back

Galloway -> Back

That's a lot of possible lifting injuries to have in a short time Miller was here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

McRoberts -> Back

Phinisee -> Lower abdominal

Brunk -> Back

Galloway -> Back

That's a lot of possible lifting injuries to have in a short time Miller was here.

Not trying to be an a**hat, but are these instances confirmed that they are from lifting. I truly dont know. 

3 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

Not trying to be an a**hat, but are these instances confirmed that they are from lifting. I truly dont know. 

No, I don't know either. I haven't heard where any of them came from except that they didn't occur during games. They're just injuries that can easily come from lifting. I'm just saying it's suspicious that all of a sudden there was a bunch of those kind of injuries. Usually it's been years in between but these all came in 4 years, or maybe even 3 since I don't remember when McRoberts injured his back. Was that year 1 or 2? Anyone remember?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

No, I don't know either. I haven't heard where any of them came from except that they didn't occur during games. They're just injuries that can easily come from lifting. I'm just saying it's suspicious that all of a sudden there was a bunch of those kind of injuries. Usually it's been years in between but these all came in 4 years, or maybe even 3 since I don't remember when McRoberts injured his back. Was that year 1 or 2? Anyone remember?

Yah, i dont know how else a 20 year old picks up a back injury. it would be a realistic assumption that it came from lifting.