IU ranked #26 in Andy Katz way-too-early Power 36 rankings

5 minutes ago, KDB said:

"14. Illinois: The roster is in flux through the draft and transfers but the faith exists that Brad Underwood will have it figured out for the Illini to remain relevant."

đŸ˜²

• Haha 2

I guess these are for clicks because people are hungry for content.  But it seems like a silly exercise when we have a thousand kids floating in the portal right now.   My hope is that if the roster comes together as we want, 26 will be too low.  I could totally see that being the case but let’s see how the transfer situation shakes out both ways (coming and going).

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

"14. Illinois: The roster is in flux through the draft and transfers but the faith exists that Brad Underwood will have it figured out for the Illini to remain relevant."

đŸ˜²

I think Illinois takes a fall in the B1G standings, with no Ayo and everyone else they might lose it could be a rough season for them.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosier51 said:

I think Illinois takes a fall in the B1G standings, with no Ayo and everyone else they might lose it could be a rough season for them.

I do too...Giorgi is already gone (went to Europe to play professionally), Ayo's gone...Cockburn probably gone...Miller is in the transfer portal...Frazier and Williams were seniors...I guess there's a possibility they come back, but if they don't, it's Curbelo a transfer from Florida, Omar Payne, Grandison and Hawkins...

• Like 1

This roster needs at least one more consistent shooter if not two, and some size inside.

I'd take Franklin back because he displayed an ability to shoot the ball before his injury and he can be a strong defender. But if he and his mom drag it out much longer IU needs to turn the page and move on. Not sure what else IU can do to prove they are changing their approach. If you can't be on board with CMW, Trayce, and the rest of the team based and what has happened in just one week, I'm not sure what else they can do to convince you.

As much as I like Race, if they can replace him with a more physical and athletic presence inside, especially on D, they should do it. There are some nice options in the portal and I'd hate to see them miss out while Race contemplates his future for a few more weeks. I thought his meeting with Minnesota was yesterday. Not sure what they offer other than being close to home. They are starting their own rebuild and with less talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I do too...Giorgi is already gone (went to Europe to play professionally), Ayo's gone...Cockburn probably gone...Miller is in the transfer portal...Frazier and Williams were seniors...I guess there's a possibility they come back, but if they don't, it's Curbelo a transfer from Florida, Omar Payne, Grandison and Hawkins...

Underwood got lucky in the fact that it took Ayo a couple of extra seasons to develop and that Kofi doesn't have a current NBA skill set. Fifteen years ago he probably would have been the number one pick but now might not go until the second round.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

I thought his meeting with Minnesota was yesterday. Not sure what they offer other than being close to home. They are starting their own rebuild and with less talent.

I saw Tre Williams was in the portal...

I'd take him or Mashburn over Carr...

We sound like Cub fans waiting for the next season.  In reality, we have a bunch of catching up to do with the rest of the field.  I go back to the Texas post game thread not so long ago.  There were quite a few us that were not happy with the result, including moi.  Sunshine pumping be damned...let's see what next year brings.  I would be ecstatic with @NCHoosier32 suggested results.  The boys, and that includes Woody, are gonna have to prove themselves to me.  

Go Hoosiers!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

definitely silly to even try to make a guess right now, but i'm going to say if we finish 7th in the B1G, obviously make the tourney and dabble in and out of the top 25 next year, i will be excited!  i do think it is reasonable.  

I'm not sure the team as we know it right now (let's say Franklin and Thompson return) is good enough to get into the top 25, even with a new coach. Of course, transfers will happen and make a difference but, as of right  now, I'm not sold on this being that good of a team talentwise.

Middle of the B1G and NCAAT should be attainable, though.

There are a few questions that I don't think can be answered until we see the team in action. How much of the last 4 years was due to coaching and how much due to players just not talented enough to execute consistently? How of the problems due to coaching can be fixed in a single offseason? 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, rico said:

We sound like Cub fans waiting for the next season.  In reality, we have a bunch of catching up to do with the rest of the field.  I go back to the Texas post game thread not so long ago.  There were quite a few us that were not happy with the result, including moi.  Sunshine pumping be damned...let's see what next year brings.  I would be ecstatic with @NCHoosier32 suggested results.  The boys, and that includes Woody, are gonna have to prove themselves to me.  

Go Hoosiers!

Please don’t compare me to a Cubs fan, lol

• Haha 1

Have to admit I would be disappointed with a 7th place finish in conference. And yeah, I understand, new coach, system, time to adjust, etc. Still, IMO, the talent is certainly there to be a better team than we were last year, a team that seems plagued by (1) bad PG play and (2) a severe lack of confidence shooting the ball, and both of those things should be correctable before the season begins. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Officer Obie said:

The Hoosiers will surprise people next year. We'll have a good team.

I think the way too early prediction seems pretty on.  Right around the top 25 and 7 in the B1G seems realistic.  Gotta say I'd be pretty happy with that after the last couple years.  

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think the way too early prediction seems pretty on.  Right around the top 25 and 7 in the B1G seems realistic.  Gotta say I'd be pretty happy with that after the last couple years.  

I think 4th-6th in BIG and firmly in the tournament is reasonable for this Hoosier team next year. I hope so anyway.

• Like 2