Which Wich?

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Jersey Mike's.. not been there, yet.

If you do go to one, try #43 (Chipotle Cheesesteak} or #13 (Italian)...Pretty good stuff...They're more liberal with the meat than most franchise sub places...

Blimpies use to be too, but I haven't seen one of those in years...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

If you do go to one, try #43 (Chipotle Cheesesteak} or #13 (Italian)...Pretty good stuff...They're more liberal with the meat than most franchise sub places...

Blimpies use to be too, but I haven't seen one of those in years...

Jasper has a Blimpies. Don't understand how subway had more success than them. 

There is a Jersey Mike's in Bloomington I will try sometime. 

Penn Station is probably my favorite of them all. 

And I miss having Quiznos around. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Jasper has a Blimpies. Don't understand how subway had more success than them. 

There is a Jersey Mike's in Bloomington I will try sometime. 

Penn Station is probably my favorite of them all. 

And I miss having Quiznos around. 

Quiznos... fantastic. 

Watch the History Channel show "Food that Built America" and you will see why Blimpee failed. They spread themselves too thin with too many franchises and it hurt their brand. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I am just not a fan of Jimmy Johns. I think it is way too much "catered event food" tasting. Penn Station is fantastic, imo. I do like Subway too, obviously it can get a little old, like anything, after awhile. But, the new garlic chicken sammies are solid... and I have always been a fan of the Sweet Onion Chicken. 

Jersey Mike's.. not been there, yet. I am not close to one, but I will find one eventually. 

Went to a Firehouse once, meh. 

I should have clarified with JimmyJohns. They are not my favorite, but they deliver and are decent so it makes one of the chains I eat more often. 

• Like 1

So here's a question for the Sub Sandwich crowd...

What makes a good sub? The bread? The meat? Seasonings/toppings?

The east coast has the "Italian roll" as they call it down cold. I also hate skimpy subs...gotta be chalk full of meat...

One of the reasons I like Jersey Mike's is because they slice the meat right when they make your sanwich...it hasn't been sitting in a prep tray all day...

On a cheesesteak, I'll eat provolone, but much prefer cheese whiz...

20 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The east coast has the "Italian roll" as they call it down cold. I also hate skimpy subs...gotta be chalk full of meat...

One of the reasons I like Jersey Mike's is because they slice the meat right when they make your sanwich...it hasn't been sitting in a prep tray all day...

you said you hadn't been to Penn Station? Their bread is my favorite, or at least close to it. 

Basically the bread you mentioned... jam packed. I mean I should be able to feel, in my hands, the weight of that sandwich... you know? lol sounds odd. A dense sandwich, if you will. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

For me it’s the whole package put together right. For instance Panera Bread has good ingredients bread, meats, sauces and the rest, but they are just so darn proud of their bread! I don’t need a loaf of bread in my sandwich.

• Like 3

Just now, Drroogh said:

For me it’s the whole package put together right. For instance Panera Bread has good ingredients bread, meats, sauces and the rest, but they are just so darn proud of their bread! I don’t need a loaf of bread in my sandwich.

yep!! takes it all.... and pickles are a must! 

I also feel like.... I like chicken more on subs than any other meat? Idk, have to think on that. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Gotta love the bread And be full of quality meat

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, btownqb said:

you said you hadn't been to Penn Station? Their bread is my favorite, or at least close to it. 

Basically the bread you mentioned... jam packed. I mean I should be able to feel, in my hands, the weight of that sandwich... you know? lol sounds odd. A dense sandwich, if you will. 

They don't have Penn Station in Texas yet, I don't believe...

I'd be curious when you do go to a Jersey Mike's which one you think "stacks up" :) better...

15 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I get 50% off at the Panera in Kingwood (full time military discount...up to $12.50 off...) Most other Panera's give 10%...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's a place around the corner called Greek Tony's that has some greats subs. To answer your question though. I value ingredients over breads.....but here's a weird one if the bread isn't cooked properly it ruins any chance of the ingredients being good.

I want the bread to be soft but just a tad of crunch. Sometimes though if they let the bread stay in just 1 minute longer it's ruined.

Macri's out by the Bloomington mall was a mainstay for me for years. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

There's a place around the corner called Greek Tony's that has some greats subs. To answer your question though. I value ingredients over breads.....but here's a weird one if the bread isn't cooked properly it ruins any chance of the ingredients being good.

I want the bread to be soft but just a tad of crunch. Sometimes though if they let the bread stay in just 1 minute longer it's ruined.

Macri's out by the Bloomington mall was a mainstay for me for years. 

It was fantastic!! Loved the cheesy bread! 

We would always go there before football games growing up. I bet I have been there 50 times lol 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It was fantastic!! Loved the cheesy bread! 

We would always go there before football games growing up. I bet I have been there 50 times lol 

Going off memory because it's been awhile but they had the perfect balance of heavy on the meats, lettuce, tomato with perfectly cooked bread every single time. When I worked at the Tudor Room during my days at IU our chef was constantly trying to duplicate their bread. Went 0 for 3 years while I worked there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

For me the bread is the critical component to a good sandwich.  It needs to hold up to the mountain of meat I want but I don't want a mouthful of dough. 

The ingredients should be of a quality that it isn't swimming in enough sauce to float. A good quality mustard and/or some mayo is enough or a well balanced sauce. 

A notable exception to the above is a dipped Italian beef. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I am just not a fan of Jimmy Johns. I think it is way too much "catered event food" tasting. Penn Station is fantastic, imo. I do like Subway too, obviously it can get a little old, like anything, after awhile. But, the new garlic chicken sammies are solid... and I have always been a fan of the Sweet Onion Chicken. 

Jersey Mike's.. not been there, yet. I am not close to one, but I will find one eventually. 

Went to a Firehouse once, meh. 

The new mexi Cali from subway is awesome. Pretty much any of their new roasted chicken sandwiches.  That garlic aioli sauce is the bomb. 

• Like 1