XJ to IU per the portal and 247 twitter

4 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

If you have not seen any video of XJ, I encourage you take the time.

He is a new dynamic..

1. In your face aggression

2. Very athletic perimeter player

3. Can create on his own like nobody on the roster (sans Armaan if he stays and continues the improvement he has shown. 

He changes our personality imo

He didn’t miss a single shot in that entire video.  Impressive.  :coffee:

But seriously, all aboard the Xavier Johnson hype train.  Great athleticism, strong on the drive, and in transition.  Looks to be a great passer too, especially into the post — TJD must really be looking forward to playing with this kid.

I get that it’s a highlight tape, his three point shooting numbers haven’t been great, and his AAU coach said he had a hitch in his shot, but it looked like he could score from all three levels to me.  Hopefully Mike Woodson can help him get his outside shot going.

Johnson and Franklin are the type of dynamic guards you need to win in March.  You can pencil both of them in the starting lineup next year (as long as Franklin comes back).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

He didn’t miss a single shot in that entire video.  Impressive.  :coffee:

But seriously, all aboard the Xavier Johnson hype train.  Great athleticism, strong on the drive, and in transition.  Looks to be a great passer too, especially into the post — TJD must really be looking forward to playing with this kid.

I get that it’s a highlight tape, his three point shooting numbers haven’t been great, and his AAU coach said he had a hitch in his shot, but it looked like he could score from all three levels to me.  Hopefully Mike Woodson can help him get his outside shot going.

Johnson and Franklin are the type of dynamic guards you need to win in March.  You can pencil both of them in the starting lineup next year (as long as Franklin comes back).

I have a feeling Fife can fix that three point shot and I love he said he will fix whatever coaches tell him to fix.

• Like 1

After some studying and a bit of discussion, I believe Xavier to be the kind of hustle kid that can elevate a team and make those around him better and work harder. Even if it’s just a little bit, it would be so noticeable with this group.

Wouldn’t it be so nice to have a half dozen of those personalities? I think so.

His motor and floor vision is what I noticed at first glance.

Good find Kenya Hunter.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Do we think that Rob might enter the portal now?  He could be the odd man out if Lander makes a big jump.

No - I think Rob will make a big jump. We will play faster and need more players. 

I feel like our fanbase has been "Archified". I do not understand why we are worrying so much about "playing time". Until we have high 4* low 5* caliber players as the 5th or 6th person off the bench, we are not deep enough to win a NC. We must retarget our expectations for the roster.

• Like 5

Maybe Rob will leave, but I give him credit for at least sticking with IU this far.  He can still be a spot player where he comes in for defense here and there.  Plus he’s nice to have if there’s an injury.  At the same time, there was no freaking way that Woody and Matta were coming back with just Rob and Lander at the one. 

• Like 3

I can see a scenario where Rob stays even if he is the odd man out. With the injuries we have he may already be thinking about life after basketball, and he might prefer to stay at IU and be the odd man out but get to spend his senior season with his teammates, his friends from outside of basketball (does he have a GF?), and getting a degree from a place he's spent the past three years. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

No - I think Rob will make a big jump. We will play faster and need more players. 

I feel like our fanbase has been "Archified". I do not understand why we are worrying so much about "playing time". Until we have high 4* low 5* caliber players as the 5th or 6th person off the bench, we are not deep enough to win a NC. We must retarget our expectations for the roster.

I’m going to make two crazy predictions. 1. Rob will see a lot of time on the court with X. 2. Rob will be in the running for most improved players in the B1G.

Rob has shown us what he can do in spurts, but those sets seemed to handcuff him and cause him to second guess himself. A free Rob will be a dangerous Rob. Combine that with his defensive ability, I think he’ll be seeing plenty of playing time. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, GaloisGroupe said:

This is why I kept saying last week, let’s see what our roster looks like first.  The writing was on the wall that a point guard was coming.   

Your points about Archie are right.  You can’t sit and be patient and hope things will get better.  You can’t be afraid to get a better player in here.  You can’t be afraid to coach a kid hard. You can’t be afraid to bench a starter.  The other players know if someone isn’t performing.  Look at TJD and how strongly he’s leading. He was openly trying to get a veteran point guard.  If someone got benched, he’d know it’s warranted.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Do we think that Rob might enter the portal now?  He could be the odd man out if Lander makes a big jump.

It's probably best for Rob just to stay put.  I don't see too many good clubs competing for his services after last season.  Hopefully coach can light a fire. 

Just now, bluegrassIU said:

Not happening. Dane Fife clearly likes him and says he is the best defender in the conference when focused.

Why would we not want him here!?

IMO at this stage of his career, Rob should have shown more floor leadership. Also, IMO his decision making is too slow.  Johnson and Lander are much quicker than him.  

2 minutes ago, John S said:

IMO at this stage of his career, Rob should have shown more floor leadership. Also, IMO his decision making is too slow.  Johnson and Lander are much quicker than him.  

In an uptempo style,  we need depth. Lander and Johnson are clearly more naturally gifted. But Rob will still be an important piece.

We need more than a transfer and an 18 year old kid with little experience. 

I never understood the thought process of hoping a kid transfers, unless he us a trouble maker.

Rob plays good defense and seems to be of high character. I do not see why anybody would hope he leaves. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1