Which player benefits the most from CMW?

There are a lot of candidates....

Lander and Rob could easily do much better in a less structured, faster paced O.

Geronimo and Galloway have games that seem well suited for that as well. 

Hunter, Leal and Stewart will be encouraged to shoot

TJD will be getting coached from CMW instead of a grad asst.

Brunk can do well as the lone inside man given space for him to use his moves. 

Who is your candidate to have a breakout year?

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Hard to say who will benefit the most, considering all of the players are coming out of a regressive offensive system. I think they all stand to benefit from playing in a good offensive system. 

Kind of my point. A good case can be made for so many. If half get a little better, this team improves markedly. No reason one or two can't flourish and surprise us.

• Like 2

TJD and Lander...

I think everyone will improve, but just being able to use his right hand and given the green light to shoot 15 footers will be a boon to Trayce and his NBA aspirations...

And I see so much talent in Khristian. I don't see how he can't improve. Just the experience and maturity will make him a better player than he was, but having someone who knows what he needs to work on to get next level like Coach Woody I think is going to pay big for him...and us.

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

TJD and Lander...

I think everyone will improve, but just being able to use his right hand and given the green light to shoot 15 footers will be a boon to Trayce and his NBA aspirations...

And I see so much talent in Khristian. I don't see how he can't improve. Just the experience and maturity will make him a better player than he was, but having someone who knows what he needs to work on to get next level like Coach Woody I think is going to pay big for him...and us.

it's hard for me to believe that Archie didn't know that TJD needed to work on his right hand and range.  hard for me to believe he didn't know what Lander needed to work on.  did he not dedicate enough time?  did he not have good enough workouts?  did TJD and Lander not put in the time needed?  who knows?  just hard for me to believe that Woodson knows what they need to work on and Archie didn't and it's that simple.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it's hard for me to believe that Archie didn't know that TJD needed to work on his right hand and range.  hard for me to believe he didn't know what Lander needed to work on.  did he not dedicate enough time?  did he not have good enough workouts?  did TJD and Lander not put in the time needed?  who knows?  just hard for me to believe that Woodson knows what they need to work on and Archie didn't and it's that simple.  

I'm pretty much going on the reaction of both Trayce and his father after they talked to Woody. It seemed to me that they had heard a revelation. Same with Khristian's Dad. They heard something new and different.

I know words a lot of times don't become reality without the work put in. But after hearing NBA guys like Carmelo Anthony and Jamal Crawford talk about Woody's attention to detail and ability to connect with players, I feel pretty good about those words becoming reality.

Edited by IUFLA

18 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't think it's that simple, but I think reading/hearing what NBA players have said about Woody in this regard is worth considering.... 

Honestly. All of them. I don't like trashing on coaches or players but everything I'm reading/hearing basically suggests the program was dead in Feb/March. No energy. No confidence. 

Confidence and the belief a coaching staff has in their players to go out and let it rip...we'll see versions of players next year and asking ourselves where in the world was this? 

When players don't feel nervous or threatened....they loosen up and just do their thing. We see it all the time in sports. Will be nice for a change to see 3's dropping again. Of course that's on the players. 6 months before season begins. Time to put the work in. 

• Like 2

seriously though folks.  i was ready to get rid of Archie.  i can believe that Woodson will do a better job.  that said, we haven't seen any results from what Woodson can do with player development at the college level.  do we really think Archie just had no clue what guys needed to do to improve and Woodson is like, "Trayce, you need to use your right hand and improve your range.  Khristian, you need to learn how to shoot and play under control."  Both kids were like, "OMG... never thought about that!  Coach - what do I need to do to get better?"    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

seriously though folks.  i was ready to get rid of Archie.  i can believe that Woodson will do a better job.  that said, we haven't seen any results from what Woodson can do with player development at the college level.  do we really think Archie just had no clue what guys needed to do to improve and Woodson is like, "Trayce, you need to use your right hand and improve your range.  Khristian, you need to learn how to shoot and play under control."  Both kids were like, "OMG... never thought about that!  Coach - what do I need to do to get better?"    

Out of curiosity, why do you think he would struggle with player development at the college level given that it was a strength for him at the NBA level? I understand we haven't seen him do it, but intuitively you would think that would be a strength of his at this level. 

• Like 2

I believe that Rob Phinesee will be the biggest surprise next year and the biggest benefactor of the change in coaching regimes. 

He was too much in his own head, imo, and I believe he was constantly questioning himself. I think that lack of confidence clearly affected his play.

I think that a fresh start, a different way to play, different roles and responsibilities will help Rob immensely. I think that he will be a much more relaxed player, and his talents will come to the forefront.

I also believe in the idea of a senior realizing that this might be his last shot, wanting to make the most of the season, and using that as a big time motivator 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

To a degree, yes.

I like CAM. But I do feel he had a lot of emphasis on learning sets and positioning etc.....how the parts work together. 

But maybe not as much on individual development.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Out of curiosity, why do you think he would struggle with player development at the college level given that it was a strength for him at the NBA level? I understand we haven't seen him do it, but intuitively you would think that would be a strength of his at this level. 

It’s about that time of year in history. Doubting Thomas until proven otherwise 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

i'm not saying he will struggle with it.  i'm just saying he hasn't done it at the college level yet.  college and NBA are different.  regardless, that's not my point.  i can't believe if Woodson went to Archie today and said, "Archie - Trayce needs to improve his right hand and his range and Lander needs to get under control and work on shooting."  Then Archie would say, "Wow Mike, I didn't realize that!"  or Archie would say, "I realize that but have no idea how to have them work on those things."  then Woodson says, "Well, this is what they'll do and they'll both be different players this year."  just hard to believe.  i know Arch wasn't great, but it's not like he had never coached bball before.  our message board knew all of that stuff.  i can give them drills to work on this offseason to improve that stuff.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm not saying he will struggle with it.  i'm just saying he hasn't done it at the college level yet.  college and NBA are different.  regardless, that's not my point.  i can't believe if Woodson went to Archie today and said, "Archie - Trayce needs to improve his right hand and his range and Lander needs to get under control and work on shooting."  Then Archie would say, "Wow Mike, I didn't realize that!"  or Archie would say, "I realize that but have no idea how to have them work on those things."  then Woodson says, "Well, this is what they'll do and they'll both be different players this year."  just hard to believe.  i know Arch wasn't great, but it's not like he had never coached bball before.  our message board knew all of that stuff.  i can give them drills to work on this offseason to improve that stuff.    

Let's put it like this...

There's a big difference in telling a kid "you need to work on your outside game" and telling the same kid, "you don't shoot those in games, I'll pull you out."

You could see it in Race last year. He'd be outside of the arc at the top of the key, his defender sagging 8 feet off of him, and he'd start, then stop. He took some, but he had little confidence they'd go in. He was thinking about it too much. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I think it is as much or more about the system than player development. Lander is clearly not designed for a structured offense. Add player development + a system that fits their talents and we should see major improvement. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Player development is more than identifying the problem butknow how to solve those problems.  It is having drills to work on those skills and getting the players to work on them as well.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Player development is more than identifying the problem butknow how to solve those problems.  It is having drills to work on those skills and getting the players to work on them as well.

totally agree.  i'm just saying it's weird to think Miller just didn't have drills to work on those things, right?  i mean i have drills to work on those things.  as for original post, i still think Lander is the obvious choice just because he'd show a lot of progress regardless of who the coach is.  

Khristian Lander.  Archie misused both Romeo and Lander as freshmen.  We'll see a significantly different Lander next season.  Those that only look at points scored may not be all that impressed.  But, Lander is going to learn how to run the offense efficiently.

• Like 1